E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Local Traffic RTTI

06-22-2007, 02:08 PM   #1
killer_bee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 328i, '15 435i

Local Traffic RTTI

Does anyone have inside info on when we are getting this? I've seen the article indicating this would be available after the first quarter(I think) but haven't heard anything about it since. This could really come in handy.......
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2007, 09:29 PM   #2
msimon18
Retired
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 s30i

Garage List
You may already have it and not know it !!

I had an alarm put in yesterday - long story, but today they reloaded the SAME version of SW I had prior (25.02) and lo and behold suddenly RTTI information began to appear.

Prior to the update when I tried to access it it told me that there was no RTTI in my area.

Good luck !!

M3 GTR - 1/5 scale - 4.2 HP w/ Collari hydraulic brakes - would you believe ~80 MPH on straightaway !!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2007, 11:53 PM   #3
killer_bee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by msimon18 View Post
You may already have it and not know it !!

I had an alarm put in yesterday - long story, but today they reloaded the SAME version of SW I had prior (25.02) and lo and behold suddenly RTTI information began to appear.

Prior to the update when I tried to access it it told me that there was no RTTI in my area.

Good luck !!
Were you getting local street traffic info or just the highways???
I have RTTI showing for highways but was wondering when I would be able to get the feed for local surface street traffic info.

The other day I did see something weird though. The highway was backed up and Nav routed me through a 10 minute local street detour...which was also somewhat backed up(but not as bad as highway). Then I noticed on the map that the street was highlighted in red...kind of like google map traffic info. I wonder if it's gonna be color coded like that-
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 12:45 AM   #4
poiney
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe

So far, I've only gotten high RTTI on highway, which causes the obvious problem that during stop and go rush hour traffic it always reroutes to the side streets that are equally jammed up. Fortunately, one can guess whether it's due to accident or not.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2007, 02:28 AM   #5
purplewidow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

i get that now to a degree...it works for sure not always a highway
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2007, 07:47 AM   #6
Cabby
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X740i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
2019 BMW X7  [0.00]
Is it pulling information based on what radio stations you have preset? If I change my presets the RT choices change. How is it getting this information?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2007, 08:16 AM   #7
n5160u
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabby View Post
Is it pulling information based on what radio stations you have preset? If I change my presets the RT choices change. How is it getting this information?
Although RTTI may be on several commercial stations depending on your area, the stations you have preset will not affect how RTTI works because the RTTI has its own dedicated tuner. Out here in Northern California the RTTI info is provided by CALTRANS and as near as I can tell there are no local entities like cities providing traffic information at this time. The traffic information they provide is sent out by a third party supplier and they charge monthly access fees to use their data to most users like owners of Magellan or Garmin nav systems by using an addressable lock-out system similer to the one Serius or XM use. I believe the BMW RTTI is non addressable so it can't be told to stop receiving traffic info.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2007, 08:37 AM   #8
Cabby
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X740i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
2019 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by n5160u View Post
Although RTTI may be on several commercial stations depending on your area, the stations you have preset will not affect how RTTI works because the RTTI has its own dedicated tuner. Out here in Northern California the RTTI info is provided by CALTRANS and as near as I can tell there are no local entities like cities providing traffic information at this time. The traffic information they provide is sent out by a third party supplier and they charge monthly access fees to use their data to most users like owners of Magellan or Garmin nav systems by using an addressable lock-out system similer to the one Serius or XM use. I believe the BMW RTTI is non addressable so it can't be told to stop receiving traffic info.
I have several in my list to choose from, does it make a difference which ones I choose? Often they are labelled as a local radio station which usually is preset #1
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2007, 01:30 AM   #9
killer_bee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

When the hell are we getting the local traffic feed?
BMW & Clear Channel, hook us up!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2007, 04:20 AM   #10
n5160u
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_bee View Post

When the hell are we getting the local traffic feed?
BMW & Clear Channel, hook us up!
When you see the TV cameras on light poles watching local roads and you also see the inductive loops buried in the road surface to monitor the traffic flow, you may start getting traffic info on that monitored section of road.
Until you see those signs of traffic monitoring going in at the roads in question give it up. Most communities are too broke to spare the money to do it. The Feds will cough up the funding if the commute traffic in the area is congested enough to warrant the creation and implementation a regional transportation corridor.
Clear Channel only rebroadcasts traffic information they get from external sources. They do not generate the traffic flow information internally. In Calif they get most of their traffic data from the California Dept of Transportation (CALTRANS)
The CHP Traffic Incident Reporting System at:
http://cad.chp.ca.gov/
And turn it into something like this:
http://www.dot.ca.gov/traffic/
Notice that only congested areas of the state are monitored.
Or this:
http://video.dot.ca.gov/
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2007, 09:51 AM   #11
droptop335
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i (E93)

So, will RTTI reroute you only if you are using the NAV system to get to a destination? I know I get RTTI info on the freeways here in Cali, as I can see the little black triangles show up on the map during slow traffic, but I have yet to have the system re-route me onto side streets. On second thought, I guess it can't reroute if it doesn't know where I'm headed! Guess I just answered my own question...

MHD Stage 1 Flash, M-Factory Helical LSD

By the way people: USE YOUR F&*#ING TURN SIGNALS! Pass the word.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2007, 11:27 AM   #12
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

RTTI only lists major highways for me. It can reroute around the traffic, but it always looks like the other route will take me even longer...

If it gets a local feed, and that feed is updated QUICKLY, then I think it would be a fantastic idea...
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2007, 11:38 AM   #13
killer_bee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5160u View Post
When you see the TV cameras on light poles watching local roads and you also see the inductive loops buried in the road surface to monitor the traffic flow, you may start getting traffic info on that monitored section of road.
Until you see those signs of traffic monitoring going in at the roads in question give it up. Most communities are too broke to spare the money to do it. The Feds will cough up the funding if the commute traffic in the area is congested enough to warrant the creation and implementation a regional transportation corridor.
Clear Channel only rebroadcasts traffic information they get from external sources. They do not generate the traffic flow information internally. In Calif they get most of their traffic data from the California Dept of Transportation (CALTRANS)
The CHP Traffic Incident Reporting System at:
http://cad.chp.ca.gov/
And turn it into something like this:
http://www.dot.ca.gov/traffic/
Notice that only congested areas of the state are monitored.
Or this:
http://video.dot.ca.gov/

I was refering to this:

http://www.bmwcca.org/node/6842

I thought this "Smart Dust Network" was supposed to be turned on soon. It would cover surface streets and help make the existing traffic coverage more accurate, without the need of a navi update.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2007, 11:48 AM   #14
killer_bee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Hm then again maybe that's where I'm wrong. I was assuming that Smart Dust would cover surface streets.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2007, 01:08 PM   #15
chicagosteve
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 328xi

According to this link, Inrix is only making version 3.0 of its system in August, which includes the Smart Dust Network information.

http://lbs.gpsworld.com/gpslbs/artic....jsp?id=447417
      09-01-2007, 03:04 AM   #16
mactigger
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Inrix works with certain radio stations as far as I can tell on their website. So many people are reporting great traffic info in the Southern California area but mine unfortunately sucks. When there is major traffic my navigation shows nothing. Should I be tuning it to a certain channel or just letting it pick on its own?

Really hope this works better than it has been.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2007, 08:24 PM   #17
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

rtti sucks balls and the HD radio also sucks balls. plus i don't even use it because i have the Ipod adapter..why listen to HD fm if you have over 2gb worth of songs@@!!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2007, 10:47 AM   #18
Rugs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

It depends on the sation that's broadcasting the HD signal. I'm in the Atlanta area and not all the HD stations have the same quality sound. A few are about the same as regular FM Stereo, but many of the others are a night & day difference. I'm really impressed with the HD Radio & I also have the my ipod going through the Logic-7...
SMART-Top /One-Off Opaque Vinyl EYELIDS / 30% TINT / A.C.SCHNITZER Pedals / "M" Tri-Color Wheel w/Paddles / EIBACH Pro-Kit / AKEBONA F. & EBC RED-STUFF R.Dustless Pads / Drilled & Slotted ROTORS / MIRO M6 Reps / MICHELIN PS2's / U.R.Coated DP's / CYBA-QUAD Exhaust Tips / BMS-TUNED...
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2007, 11:23 AM   #19
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagosteve View Post
According to this link, Inrix is only making version 3.0 of its system in August, which includes the Smart Dust Network information.

http://lbs.gpsworld.com/gpslbs/artic....jsp?id=447417
This was the original plan (07-SEP-2006):

"Clear Channel's delivery of Inrix-based data will come in three phases and blend with Clear Channel's existing traffic reporting.

"The first phase, now available on most 2007 BMWs, uses Inrix technology to clean up data coming in through other sources, such as roadway sensors (which can fail, then start working again), police reports, and traffic helicopters.

The second phase will integrate the 625,000-plus Dust Network vehicle reports. BMW and Clear Channel say they want to be sure it works before making the Dust Network part of the real-time traffic feed. Cars that get the Clear Channel traffic feed now, such as BMWs and dashtop portable navigation devices, will be able to receive that information with existing products.

The third phase, predicting traffic flow along your route, will likely require new hardware, and is a year or two away."

Phase II - "Smart Dust" was supposed to be available at the end of 1st quarter this year. It doesn't appear to be available yet in Atlanta. (I do get construction reports from city streets however.)

Phase III (v3.0), presumably, will not be available in iDrive since it requires new hardware.
Appreciate 0