04-29-2012, 03:07 PM   #1
yemski
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

Garage List
2011 1M Coupe  [0.00]
BMW wheel and tire warranty cover non OEM tires?

So just wondering if others have experience with this. My wheel and tire warranty contract states replacement with OEM or BMW approved tires. OEM is PS2 and I'm looking to replace with PSS (which is OEM on some BMW's but not the 1M).
Will BMW honor the warranty and replace PSS with PSS or at least PSS with PS2 in the event of a flat. My understanding is the PS2 is being phased out so eventually they will have to replace with an alternate tire, and the PSS seems like the logical choice.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 06:12 PM   #2
///BYU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by yemski View Post
So just wondering if others have experience with this. My wheel and tire warranty contract states replacement with OEM or BMW approved tires. OEM is PS2 and I'm looking to replace with PSS (which is OEM on some BMW's but not the 1M).
Will BMW honor the warranty and replace PSS with PSS or at least PSS with PS2 in the event of a flat. My understanding is the PS2 is being phased out so eventually they will have to replace with an alternate tire, and the PSS seems like the logical choice.
I think the warranty will be honored if you have PSS. Not sure if they would replace with PSS or PS2, though. Probably PSS if you request it, especially since it seems like the cost is less for PSS.

Here's a previous e-mail exchange I had with Safe-Guard, which administers the Tire & Wheel Protection program for BMW (at least the one I purchased from my dealer; I don't know if there are multiple administrators). Don't take this as written confirmation for your own contract, but I thought this might help. My e-mail is in black and the responses I received from Safe-Guard are in red.

Sent: Thursday, November 10, 2011 12:18 AM
To: info "at" sgintl.com
Subject: Tire & Wheel Protection

Hello,

I have a few quick questions about the Tire & Wheel Protection program described on your website.

My main question is whether a second, winter set of wheels and tires is covered under the program? I live in Minnesota and my winter setup will be on the car for about 5 months, including during the early spring--the worst time of the year for potholes. If only the original equipment wheels and tires are covered, then I'll only have coverage for a little over half the year. Snow tires / winter tires are covered if they are OEM or OEM-approved. BMW does offer snow tires. Please check with your dealer to confirm your winter tires are OEM approved.

If winter wheels and tires are covered, can you please let me know if any of the following would affect my coverage:

If the winter wheels are not OEM (my car is a newly purchased BMW) Not covered.
If the winter wheels are OEM but are not purchased from a dealer Covered.
If the winter wheels are OEM but are purchased used Covered.

Also, while I'm asking, if I decided to switch out the original equipment summer wheels for a new set of wheels that were equal or better in quality, would the new wheels be covered? Yes, if they are OEM wheels and if they meet manufacturer’s specifications for your vehicle.

Thanks!

///BYU

I think your question about PSS tires is somewhat similar to my question about winter tires. In a subsequent phone conversation I had with someone at Safe-Guard, I got the impression if you purchased a high-quality tire (especially one that is OE on another ///M car), you should be fine. The person also directed me -- like in the e-mail -- to contact my dealer with any specific questions. This seemed odd to me since Safe-Guard is the company that runs the Tire & Wheel Protection program and they would presumably be in a position to approve all claims. But it sounds like they may defer to dealer Service Departments for most ordinary claim decisions.

So in the end I think you'd be fine with PSS, but you might want to check in with the dealer you expect would do the work just to see what they say. Also, you could do what I did and contact Safe-Guard (or whichever company administers your Tire & Wheel Protection program) for some kind of e-mail confirmation. You can contact Safe-Guard by e-mailing them at 'info "at" sgintl.com'.

Hope this helps!

Getting my winter tires mounted for the drive home after PCD in December.
I love the sign (they let me hang out with the tech and car, which was very cool).
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 10:56 AM   #3
yemski
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

Garage List
2011 1M Coupe  [0.00]
Thanks BYU some useful info!
Appreciate 0