E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Cracked Windshield

06-21-2007, 05:19 PM   #1
Rocket07
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 335i Coupe, 94Ford Probe GT

Cracked Windshield

I know there are many stories out there about this topic, but just wanted to share mine and some input. I was driving yesterday and got hit by a rock and left a crack in the windshield. The car only has 150 miles on it...so I was pissed! I know something was going to happen sooner or later, but this was a little to quick...drove like 5 times. Just wanted some thoughts if this is repairable...it's on the rear view mirror area so fortunately it's not in my line of sight, butI heard may need to be fixed from the inside out, which would be a problem. Thanks...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 05:29 PM   #2
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
That is easily repairable and they will do all the work from outside..... You should be totally fine.
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 06:27 PM   #3
Ruff Rider
"posting from my recliner"
United_States
Rep
Drives: twin turbo Prius

My friend got his 335i coupe and two days later got a nice rock chip. Worse then yours. Had it fixed by a very good chip repair place and its very hard to see it. Don't wait to get it fixed.

Ping Golf Club demo tech
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 06:31 PM   #4
MonacoBimm
Banned
Panama
Rep
Drives: Sapp. Black 330i(2nd e90)

You have to get that fixed ASAP.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 11:22 PM   #5
Rocket07
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoBimm View Post
You have to get that fixed ASAP.
What happens if I wait? It is not expanding-been measuring it. My insurance co. says the car is not on the policy yet and they can't do anything till it is which might take a few more days...
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2007, 12:48 AM   #6
firstkill
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93

If you wait too long dirt will get in there and you can see it.

Basically it will be filled with clear glue. Since you cant see it on the inside it will be hidden well.

All repairs look good from the outside... but if your on the inside they are noticable in certian light.

Fk
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2007, 01:20 AM   #7
Rocket07
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstkill View Post
If you wait too long dirt will get in there and you can see it.

Basically it will be filled with clear glue. Since you cant see it on the inside it will be hidden well.

All repairs look good from the outside... but if your on the inside they are noticable in certian light.

Fk

Good point about the dirt...what if I place tape over the crack so dirt doesn't get in the chip? That shouldn't hurt...I think...
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2007, 01:33 AM   #8
Brandy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i coupe

OMG, I can't believe how many posts I see about cracked windshields. My e92 is only 4 months old and the other day a little rock hit my windshield & there's a huge crack! I ordered a new windshield & I have to pay a $500 deductible!I was wondering if the windshields are defective since there are so many cases. I find it so strange, because my dad's windshield was hit by a big rock from a semi-truck & there's a little scuff on the window, not a crack, & he has a ford f350!:mad:

I'm so sorry about your windshield, I hope all goes well!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2007, 01:37 AM   #9
allentu
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black on black w/alu trim

I also have a similar problem to yours recently, my car is also new. Your chip looks kind of like mine. If you want to save some money, you can do what i did and get yourself a glass repair kit at a local auto supply store. I got my glass repair kit in the auto section of walmart for only 11 bucks. Its worth a try for you or anyone who wants to do it themselves. I have never done these repairs before and didn't even believe it would work, but it does. Once the liquid dries, it will be clear IF YOU GET ALL the air out and do it right. The kit i got was made by the same company that makes fix a flat or something like that
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2007, 01:42 AM   #10
Rocket07
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by allentu View Post
I also have a similar problem to yours recently, my car is also new. Your chip looks kind of like mine. If you want to save some money, you can do what i did and get yourself a glass repair kit at a local auto supply store. I got my glass repair kit in the auto section of walmart for only 11 bucks. Its worth a try for you or anyone who wants to do it themselves. I have never done these repairs before and didn't even believe it would work, but it does. Once the liquid dries, it will be clear IF YOU GET ALL the air out and do it right. The kit i got was made by the same company that makes fix a flat or something like that
It's nice to know that there is a support group for this...I was really bummed! Other similar threads recommend not to do it yourself...I think it's like $50 to get it fixed professionally...not sure if it would make a difference, but I don't trust myself...thanks for the advice though...
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2007, 01:45 AM   #11
Rocket07
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandy View Post
OMG, I can't believe how many posts I see about cracked windshields. My e92 is only 4 months old and the other day a little rock hit my windshield & there's a huge crack! I ordered a new windshield & I have to pay a $500 deductible!I was wondering if the windshields are defective since there are so many cases. I find it so strange, because my dad's windshield was hit by a big rock from a semi-truck & there's a little scuff on the window, not a crack, & he has a ford f350!:mad:

I'm so sorry about your windshield, I hope all goes well!

Thanks for the support...500 deductible...kind of steep...mine is 200, but I don't want to replace it if I don't have to...I had my other car for 13 years and only happened once and it was only a divet...maybe BMW uses softer glass...good luck with yours too..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2007, 02:56 AM   #12
allentu
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black on black w/alu trim

btw, my chip was almost the size of a dime, but now its almost non visible. Why don't you want to do it yourself? Its not as hard as you think. One suggestion if you do plan on doing it...put more then enough drops of the sealant and wipe off after. I did too less the first time around and it wasn't complete. The good news is...you can redo if your not finished. Only takes less then 10 minutes to do and probbaly 1 hour in the sun, your good to go. just dont wash your windows for a good week and it should be alright.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2007, 09:48 PM   #13
ATD1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2007 335i Sedan  [0.00]
Mine was hit by a small pebble...I think it was actually a piece of asphalt since they just recently ground up the highway. Anyway I was only going about 40mph and now I have a nice "c" shaped crack extending down behind my rearview. My car is only months old and I never replaced a windshield in my life. Called the ins co and they said I have full glass which is great but I'm still not happy about having to replace it and pull out the factory sealed glass.

I had an Audi and did 35,000 miles in 1 year...mostly highway, and only received tiny chips or scuffs if a pebble hit the windshield and thats going 70-75mph. I agree when everyone says BMW glass is defective or something. Just seems to be a little fragile for what they call "the ultimate driving machine."

Hey...we all can't be wrong.

2007 335i (E90) - Jet Black - Dark Burlwood - Black Leatherette - Auto - Sport Pkg - Paddle shifters - Heated Seats - BMW Assist
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2007, 11:38 PM   #14
pigbat
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i Electric Red

I'm getting ready to fill mt 3rd chip like that one.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 03:59 PM   #15
kwong77
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

I just noticed my windshield has a chip in the same location as Rocket07. Something must be wrong with these windshield.

How much does a windshield replacement cost anyway? Just in case i have to replace it if I got worse chip/crack later on.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 07:55 PM   #16
Rocket07
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong77 View Post
I just noticed my windshield has a chip in the same location as Rocket07. Something must be wrong with these windshield.

How much does a windshield replacement cost anyway? Just in case i have to replace it if I got worse chip/crack later on.
Sorry to hear this kwong77...I know it pains me...

So I just got my car checked out by a company through my insurance (all star glass). My insurance co is pretty cool and gave me the option to fix the windshield or replace it, my option. However, if I take it to BMW, I will have to cover the extra premium they charge to install it. They will cover the cost to fix, but if I want it replaced I have to pay my 200 deductible (I think out of pocket would be upwards to over 1K because it's only an OEM part since they don't have aftermarket...which I would never even think to do anyways on a car with 180 miles. My dilemma is should I just have it fixed or replaced? It's less a 1x1cm circle...pretty small. I don't like the idea of them tearing out my windshield on an essentially new car. The spot that is affected can't even be seen through the inside of the car. They did say it's not the ideal place to have to fix because they need to heat from inside of the glass and since its iver the rearview mirror, the heat would melt it, so they could only seal it from the outside. Any thoughts if you were/are in my predicament? Any input ASAP would be appreciated because I have an appt with them tomorrow again to get the work done... Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 10:50 AM   #17
jennyt71
Red Raider '99 & '02
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 06 325i

Just got my first rock chip yesterday...had the car since 08/05.
Its more like a crater tho, really took a chunk of glass out. I called insurance right away and no cost to fix, $100 ded to replace. Since its about the size of a quarter, they should be able to fix it, right? It has so many small cracks coming from the center of the "hole" - hopefully they can fill them ok.

-- its sitting at home waiting on the glass people right now. I should know in a few hours.
Appreciate 0