Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Continental DWS tires in warm temps and hiway speeds

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

04-25-2012, 06:24 PM   #1
Dackz
Hates Speed Limits
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Continental DWS tires in warm temps and hiway speeds

So it has been 80ish degrees in the afternoons on the way home from work and my DWS's feel a little soft on the highway at 80+. On squirts of the throttle to pass they feel really squishy especially above 100 (just wanted to test them a tad ) but I also have my camber/toe adjusted (still within bmw specs) to allow for better tire wear but it does reduce handling a bit. Is that more of the cause or is it the tires being really soft sidewalled? They feel alright in the mornings and feel really good when its cold outside. I have the tires up +2 in the front and +3 in the rear psi but that was done in the winter, should I adjust it for the cold? Please advise. I drive 80 miles a day, 75 of it highway, so I needed a long-life tire and needed to keep them longer life. Just trying to figure out what the deal is. The tires are great in the wet, just not quite as good when its warm out. Tire wear looks brand new still with just over 3k on them.
      04-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #2
Dackz
Hates Speed Limits
United_States
Rep

Update: I checked my tire psi when I got home and my fronts were 46psi and my rear were 48. Dropped that down to 38-39 front and 41-42 rear. Hopefully that helps. I last put air in them when avg temps were in the 40's. Hopefully in the colder mornings they dont drop too low on pressure.
      04-27-2012, 08:23 AM   #3
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

You have to check pressures when they're cold; not after a long drive...check them in the morning BEFORE you leave for work and then adjust from there. Also, I have the same tires as well and yes, they do get more "squishy" the warmer it gets outside. As you stated; it's a trade off given that it's a long-life tire and also because the sidewall isn't as stiff as summer tires or even some other high performance all season's in comparison.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #4
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
You have to check pressures when they're cold; not after a long drive...check them in the morning BEFORE you leave for work and then adjust from there. Also, I have the same tires as well and yes, they do get more "squishy" the warmer it gets outside. As you stated; it's a trade off given that it's a long-life tire and also because the sidewall isn't as stiff as summer tires or even some other high performance all season's in comparison.
+1

Spot on.

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 05:54 PM   #5
Dackz
Hates Speed Limits
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary@TireRack View Post
+1

Spot on.
I did check them this morning. They were perfect on temps. 38 front and 40 back (1psi isnt going to affect much). When I had filled them before it was about 30 degrees out, so now being ~50ish in my garage in the morning, it makes sense.

I wish they wouldnt be so 'squishy' but yea....its a trade off. I love their wet performance and they were great in the two times we had 'light' snow when I had them on.

Thanks for the replies guys! They did feel better today since they were over inflated before.
      04-27-2012, 06:26 PM   #6
palomino0527
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i sedan

anyone know if hankook tires are good in summer ? and high speeds?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 08:13 PM   #7
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
What I normally do is fill up my tires a bit extra on my drive home from work. First thing in the morning, I'd just purge them until they're at spec. But yes, the tires do have a softer sidewall which is why they might feel a little squishy especially when it's warm out.
      04-28-2012, 02:22 PM   #8
Dackz
Hates Speed Limits
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMRWheels View Post
What I normally do is fill up my tires a bit extra on my drive home from work. First thing in the morning, I'd just purge them until they're at spec. But yes, the tires do have a softer sidewall which is why they might feel a little squishy especially when it's warm out.
They do feel MUCH improved without the extra air pressure. Now that they are correctly inflated instead of overinflated they feel much better.