E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 335i sensors for datalogging

06-19-2007, 01:57 PM   #1
e.n335
Austria
Rep
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

335i sensors for datalogging

Hi

Two forum members have already or are planning to install additional sensors:

1) EGT sensor: One has it installed already for a Zeitronix setup. Is it installed in the turbo-manifold and how about the installation ? Method, efforts ?

2) Terry with his LM-1 widband plans to install it in place of the post-cat o2-sensor(s ?). How would the ECU behave with such a setup ? Do you plan to emulate the post-cat o2's for the ECU ?

Eugen
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 02:07 PM   #2
Terry335
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugen.niederreiter View Post
Hi

Two forum members have already or are planning to install additional sensors:

1) EGT sensor: One has it installed already for a Zeitronix setup. Is it installed in the turbo-manifold and how about the installation ? Method, efforts ?

2) Terry with his LM-1 widband plans to install it in place of the post-cat o2-sensor(s ?). How would the ECU behave with such a setup ? Do you plan to emulate the post-cat o2's for the ECU ?

Eugen

The LM1 can go in the existing bung, you can add a new bung, or you can use an adaptor to shove it in the tailpipe (looks ghetto driving around but works). I'm going to put it in an existing bung, zip-tie the secondary o2 sensor, and ignore the resulting code. Once I'm done tuning I'll pull the LM1 out.

You can emulate the secondary o2 sensor and keep it in long term but I'm too lazy to find the right connectors and don't want to cut any wires.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 02:24 PM   #3
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry335 View Post
The LM1 can go in the existing bung, you can add a new bung, or you can use an adaptor to shove it in the tailpipe (looks ghetto driving around but works). I'm going to put it in an existing bung, zip-tie the secondary o2 sensor, and ignore the resulting code. Once I'm done tuning I'll pull the LM1 out.

You can emulate the secondary o2 sensor and keep it in long term but I'm too lazy to find the right connectors and don't want to cut any wires.
With the closed loop fuel control, isnt bypassing or unplugging a pre-cat o2 sensor a bad idea? or where you planning on using the rear ones, even though thats not ideal for the LM1?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 02:27 PM   #4
e.n335
Austria
Rep
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

Quote:

Innovate Motorsports LM1/LC1 (abstract) :

On CATALYTIC CONVERTER equipped vehicles:

Install the oxygen sensor’s bung upstream from the catalytic converter (a bung and plug is included in the LM-1/LC-1 kit). Any decent muffler or exhaust shop can do this for you. The wideband oxygen sensor is then installed into the bung to take a reading. (Insert the plug into the bung when not in use). The bung must be installed in the exhaust pipe at the side or on top, NOT on the bottom of the exhaust pipe. Best position is between 10:00 and 2:00 position.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 02:36 PM   #5
judec
born to be turbocharged
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: Not a bimmer yet

yepp, afaik the primary lambdas are responsible for the main AF measurement, the secondary's are mostly for checking the cat function and backup... no? So for testing tuning etc U should use/replace the primary sensors
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 03:41 PM   #6
Terry335
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXst3r View Post
With the closed loop fuel control, isnt bypassing or unplugging a pre-cat o2 sensor a bad idea? or where you planning on using the rear ones, even though thats not ideal for the LM1?
I'll use the post-cat o2 sensor, the pre-cat is used for closed loop and would be a bad idea. It's best to put the wideband in front of the cat but at the end of the day I'm only worried about the delta so no biggie.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 03:53 PM   #7
jon@themshop
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
I'll use the post-cat o2 sensor, the pre-cat is used for closed loop and would be a bad idea. It's best to put the wideband in front of the cat but at the end of the day I'm only worried about the delta so no biggie.
Putting it in the post cat o2 sensor bung will only give you real results at wide open throttle. Part throttle or idle will show really lean ratios because the cat is "cleaning" up the bad exhaust gases.
Appreciate 0