ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-18-2007, 09:49 AM   #1
em2b96p
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: cbr600rr

LED light replacements

taking a page from the lexus and cadillac DTS page i would like to change the interior bulbs to white LEDs. im talking about the central light, map lights, and the light above the cd changer/navigation drives. I especially want to change out the rear licenseplate lights as well.

i always buy my LEDS from www.autolumination.com but want to ask here before i order. i know leds use less power so i dont know if it will bring up any issues. i also know, doing thorough resarch, the E60's 39mm festoon license plate light needs a resistor to work properly.

will i need a resistors on the z as well?
has anyone accomplished this, or will i be the first to try, post pics, and convert people?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 10:30 AM   #2
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Yes you'll need resistors.
Experimented with the side markers & found that to be the case.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 05:05 PM   #3
BimmerZealot
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 xDrive30i

Well the Z4 uses all 194/168 wedge bulbs to change your complete interior plus license plate you need EIGHT total. I've used LEDs on the license plate with NO bulb out warning or resistors needed but it wasn't bright enough because of the way the bulb socket is designed the light has to come out of the side of the bulb which wont happen with a LED unless you have a bulb with side facing LEDs as well. Which I have seen 5 LED wedge bulbs 4 around in a ring and one in the center pointing forward, I'd give it a shot but I'm cheap =)
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 05:14 PM   #4
em2b96p
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerZealot View Post
Well the Z4 uses all 194/168 wedge bulbs to change your complete interior plus license plate you need EIGHT total. I've used LEDs on the license plate with NO bulb out warning or resistors needed but it wasn't bright enough because of the way the bulb socket is designed the light has to come out of the side of the bulb which wont happen with a LED unless you have a bulb with side facing LEDs as well. Which I have seen 5 LED wedge bulbs 4 around in a ring and one in the center pointing forward, I'd give it a shot but I'm cheap =)
you just made my day..

i will be ordering enough LEDs to cover the interior and licenseplate. ive been ordering from autolumination.com in the past and have never been dissapointed.

they sell an inverted 194 led that emmits out the side of the bulb, which would be the perfect solution to what you mentioned.

im deffinatly looking forward to this mod!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 05:32 PM   #5
BimmerZealot
Major
Rep

I tried the inverted ones on the license plate it is definitely not bright enough. Those will be fine for the interior but for the license plate I suggest something with side facing LEDs, basically regardless of where you use them the more LEDs the better.

Oh btw, check out this eBay seller, he carries a HUGE selection of LEDs in various shapes and types, good pricing as well and discounts on shipping. I've bought LEDs from them 3-4x with good experiences each time.

http://stores.ebay.com/US-Home-Direc...Q3amesstQQtZkm
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 05:48 PM   #6
em2b96p
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerZealot View Post
I tried the inverted ones on the license plate it is definitely not bright enough. Those will be fine for the interior but for the license plate I suggest something with side facing LEDs, basically regardless of where you use them the more LEDs the better.

Oh btw, check out this eBay seller, he carries a HUGE selection of LEDs in various shapes and types, good pricing as well and discounts on shipping. I've bought LEDs from them 3-4x with good experiences each time.

http://stores.ebay.com/US-Home-Direc...Q3amesstQQtZkm
great ill check it out!

do you remember which size bulb goes where and quantity? map, courtasy, licenseplate etc..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 11:31 PM   #7
BimmerZealot
Major
Rep

they are all 194/168 Wedge Bulbs also called T10 (bunches all of them together) you need 8 total, 6 on the interior, 2 on license plate. License plate ones are the ones you will need side facing LEDs for, interior I dont think it matters. Except footwell you will need them as well because they utilize a sideways T10 as well. There are 3 in the dome/map, 2 in footwell, one in glove box, one in center storage, one in trunk, 2 in license.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 09:16 AM   #8
zednik
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0i

I'll be Devil's Advocate.......perhaps it's the neo Luddite in me but why on earth are you guys so exercised about LED lighting?

Is there any advantage or are you changing stuff just to change it? No criticism meant, I just don't get it. Perhaps one of you could "illuminate" me.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 03:09 PM   #9
BimmerZealot
Major
Rep

Well the OEM clear halogen bulbs have a yellow glow to them, as do all halogens, personally I think it's really ugly. There are a few options to fix this, many people want a cooler toned color (more white for instance), one option is blue glass bulbs they are dimmer but produce a fairly white light also known as Xenon Interior Lighting. Now another option is LEDs, LEDs can be had in ANY color of the spectrum so your lighting options are endless, if your favorite color is red then red your interior can be, it's more of a personal touch. Also LEDs run cooler in temperature then halogens which isn't a terribly big deal because the car was designed to work with the halogens.

Advantages? To some people those would be considered advantages, to others merely for looks, you could call it a "bling" mod. Either way it's out there for people to do, and people will do it. Oh ya one more thing LEDs in the interior are much brighter than the blue glass halogen method of changing the clear halogens. Some people go with LEDs because they want the Xenon color but with a bright interior.

Personally, I use the blue glass halogen bulbs because I like the non-yellow light they produce and it's much more mellow at night when i unlock the car because of the dimmer qualities of tinted bulbs.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 10:21 PM   #10
zednik
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0i

Thanks for the input. I like brighter, I'll look into the interior lights.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 08:36 AM   #11
em2b96p
Private First Class
Rep

zednik- i just love how it looks. i drove a cadlillac STS/DTS/Deville or one of thoes with push start and the interior was all led.. the pure white light looked soooooo good! also if u get behind one of the new lexus sedans they have the led license plate light and you will notice the difference.

bimmerzealotp- thanks for the info! i need to start putting orders in for hte leds.. do you have pics of yours done?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2007, 03:16 PM   #12
BimmerZealot
Major
Rep

I dont have them on my Z4, I use to have them on my 330, sadly I dont have any interior shots. But, xPhantom on E46Fanatics he did full interior LED on his M3 and here are a few shots.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...1&postcount=13

There are probably others out there but that one jumped into my mind when you mentioned LED photos. They are much brighter in person; but, that gives you somewhat of an idea.
Appreciate 0