E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Anyone looking into buying a coupe from the US?

06-17-2007, 09:56 PM   #1
smilepro
Rep
Drives: 2007 650i Convertible

Anyone looking into buying a coupe from the US?

Just looking for people who have researched or have purchased a vehicle from the US. The pricing difference is quite drastic, considering the state of our dollar. By the way, my first post. Always have been a fan, and looking at getting a 335i coupe or convertible (not crazy about the added weight of the hardtop however).
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 12:52 AM   #2
homydevil
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i cabriolet

not to encourage consumers in canada

I have reasearched extensively and had a number of cars in sight, Trust me the negatives are far more.
Here are some steps...First of BMW America wrote to me that they are under an obligation from BMW Germany that they won't sell brand new cars to consumers in Canda no matter what.... so you have to find a car that has already been titled there!!! after that
1- purchase car on your own ( means no good rates of financing unless you have a line of credit.
2- let the american authrities know 72 hrs in advance that I am taking this vin number car and exporting it to canada.
3- show the title of the car at the border(!!!!!!conflict here.... Canada customs told me bring the letter of clearance at the border... while BMW canada replied to me stating that NO YOU HAVE to show the vehicle at a dealer within Canada in order to get that letter!!!!!!!!!!)
4- Pay 6.1% duty & 8% gst there at the border ( !!!!!yet another conflict A gentleman from BMW USA stated that I would have to get the warning stickers in english and french cuz Canada requires it on every damn item since we'r bilingual!!!!!!)
5- Congrats if you made it so far cuz now you just have to wait 2 to 6 wks after mailing the documents to MTO, when you get a reply, go to a designated canadian tire to get your car completely inspected so it meets mto's requirements. finally goto your local vehicle office and pay the provincial tax 6% + the charge for plates. ( all together 20.1 % on top of what you paid for the car in the states)
6- Not to enjoy too much at that point cuz BMW Canada wrote to me stateing they will honour the warranty once I get my car inspected at their dealership and they get me into their system.....BUT REFUSED TO HONOR THE "no charge schedule maintainence for 4 years".........and that just did it for me and I gave up the idea!!!!
7- before bursting the bubble I estimated a used 335i for 73 or 75000 (all in!!) while the same care here is 78000+ taxes
GOOD LUCK though, if any one really wants to go ahead. maybe my consumed time and effort will help someone else finally
Cheers!
NOW pls find me a white ext red interior car in toronto... very desparate!!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 06:38 AM   #3
Kid Eh
I used to be conceited, now I'm perfect.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
I'm not sure about a new car but a used one wouldn't be that hard. The above post makes it sound a lot harder than it actually is. I heard it all before too but I just bought a used pickup in Detroit and it was a breeze. If you do your homework ahead of time its smooth sailing. I had the truck licensed and on the road a week after I got back. Because it was a U.S. made vehicle I didn't even have to pay duty. Don't listen to all the BS a dealer will tell you. They want you to buy it from them. Get all your info from http://www.riv.ca

Good Luck!!!!

"I used to be conceited. Now I'm perfect"
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 12:45 PM   #4
holders
Rep
Drives: looking for my first BMW

ya i'm looking at purchasing a coupe in states too. it's just that finding a good one is hard, importing is not that bad considering how much you can save.
Appreciate 0