E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 275bhp

04-08-2012, 05:12 PM   #1
RazRokz.!
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 328i

275bhp

I have some extra money coming in soon so i'm most likely going to use it to to some engine mod's on my e90. Dynos and everything. The buget i'm working with is about 4grand. I have a list of mods in mind and the goal is 275bhp. What do you guy's think? Feel free to comment what I should add exchange or remove from the list...

Mods:

AA stage 2 tune ---------------------------$500
BMS PBX (throttle mode only) --------------$200
3 Stage intake manifold --------------------$300 (used)
Injen Short Ram intake + Cyba Scoops ------$60 (already have intake)
Dinan throttle body ------------------------$300
Pulstar Performance Spark Plugs ------------$90
MMW catless headers ----------------------$1000
Remus Powersound Muffler -----------------$700

---UPDATE---

So, I've taken all your advice into consideration. This is what the final mod list is looking like:

AA Stage 2 off road tune
3 Stage Intake Manifold
Eurobox W/ Scoops
MMW Headers (gavin swears theyre gonna be done at the end of this week)
BMS Patch fix ( As a double tap to make sure I don't get a CEL light )

I still can't figure out what exhaust I want, its kinda hard to pick with out hearing it in person. I'm kind of debating on doing a dyno with out it and if I'm hella close, throw a PE on the car. It keeps getting cheaper as the days go by.

Should Come out to be around $2800. Cheaper than I thought...

Last edited by RazRokz.!; 04-12-2012 at 11:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 05:32 PM   #2
hurricane56
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

I'd scratch a few items from your list, starting first with the BMS PBX. There shouldn't be any need to double stack the AA tune and the PBX since the AA already has really good throttle re-mapping.

I haven't tried the Injen intake, but from what I gather, that intake is not a completely sealed box. Your money would be better spent on a charcoal delete + K&N drop in. If you're looking for more options, you could buy the Euro Air Box + K&N, OEM PI, or AFE Magnum intake.

Also, 86 the spark plugs and cyba scoops. I haven't seen any real evidence of HP gains from those items.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 05:34 PM   #3
jc5988
Captain
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i 6MT

here is my take for your 275hp machine, it would have to be perfect on all the part to get there. dynoject u need hit atleast 235hp - 240hp.

AA stage 2 tune - do it

BMS PBX (throttle mode only) - do this after everything, non hp related

3 stage intake maniflod - definitly

Injen Short Ram intake + Cyba Scoops - highest dyno'd gain i think is with gruppe M

Dinan throttle body - dont think its available anymo

Pulstar Performance Spark Plugs - dont waste your time and money

MMW catless headers - do it if its ever available or ebay header but its not perfect fit.

Remus Powersound Muffler - dont, its muffler only, do a full cat-back system with secondary cat removal.
      04-08-2012, 05:37 PM   #4
Bmachine18
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i sedan Monaco blue

Where did u find the manifold for so cheap? It runs like 6-9 hundred
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 05:40 PM   #5
Bmachine18
Private
Rep

The headers for our cars costs 800+ it's like 8-10 hrs. Might as well do some other thongs in the meanwhile
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 05:40 PM   #6
RazRokz.!
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane56 View Post
I'd scratch a few items from your list, starting first with the BMS PBX. There shouldn't be any need to double stack the AA tune and the PBX since the AA already has really good throttle re-mapping.

I haven't tried the Injen intake, but from what I gather, that intake is not a completely sealed box. Your money would be better spent on a charcoal delete + K&N drop in. If you're looking for more options, you could buy the Euro Air Box + K&N, OEM PI, or AFE Magnum intake.

Also, 86 the spark plugs and cyba scoops. I haven't seen any real evidence of HP gains from those items.
You're correct on the Injen not being a sealed box. All it has is a metal heat shield, but the heat shield doesnt really get the job done. It seems like they were only concerned with protecting the cone from heat and not the tube when they designed it. I still have my stock air box so the charcoal delete + k&n is an option. As for the euro box, Do you know if its a cone filter or panel?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 05:44 PM   #7
hurricane56
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazRokz.! View Post
You're correct on the Injen not being a sealed box. All it has is a metal heat shield, but the heat shield doesnt really get the job done. It seems like they were only concerned with protecting the cone from heat and not the tube when they designed it. I still have my stock air box so the charcoal delete + k&n is an option. As for the euro box, Do you know if its a cone filter or panel?
The Euro Box as sold from ECS Tuning comes with the OEM paper cone filter. The K&N for that set-up is about $45 extra.

Also, if you're looking to do the 3-stage intake manifold, get one from a salvage yard or search www.car-part.com.

The manifold can be had for less than $300. If you get lucky, it will still have the two DISA actuators bolted on.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 05:45 PM   #8
RazRokz.!
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachine18 View Post
Thats how much they run for used on line from your average junkyard. Forum member jntar gave me the name of a website a while back and $300 seemed like the average price for a manifold. I have it written down somewhere, but you should probably ask him to see if he still remembers.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 05:48 PM   #9
RazRokz.!
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The headers for our cars costs 800+ it's like 8-10 hrs. Might as well do some other thongs in the meanwhile
I have access to a lift and tools on fort riley where im stationed at. I talked to gavin and he said headers soon for $1000ish so I'm hoping they get released soon. I want to do this all before I have to ship my car to Germany.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 05:55 PM   #10
RazRokz.!
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5988 View Post
here is my take for your 275hp machine, it would have to be perfect on all the part to get there. dynoject u need hit atleast 235hp - 240hp.

AA stage 2 tune - do it

BMS PBX (throttle mode only) - do this after everything, non hp related

3 stage intake maniflod - definitly

Injen Short Ram intake + Cyba Scoops - highest dyno'd gain i think is with gruppe M

Dinan throttle body - dont think its available anymo

Pulstar Performance Spark Plugs - dont waste your time and money

MMW catless headers - do it if its ever available or ebay header but its not perfect fit.

Remus Powersound Muffler - dont, its muffler only, do a full cat-back system with secondary cat removal.
Is the gruppe m completely sealed? What cat-back do you think? It seems like magnaflow and pe are the 2 only opinons. Correct me if i'm wrong...
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 05:59 PM   #11
RazRokz.!
Captain
Rep

Quote:
This is the web site I was telling you about ( www.car-part.com )
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 06:02 PM   #12
RazRokz.!
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane56 View Post
The Euro Box as sold from ECS Tuning comes with the OEM paper cone filter. The K&N for that set-up is about $45 extra.

Also, if you're looking to do the 3-stage intake manifold, get one from a salvage yard or search www.car-part.com.

The manifold can be had for less than $300. If you get lucky, it will still have the two DISA actuators bolted on.
I wonder If I could adapt one of afe's larger cone filters to it to get more surface area?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 06:16 PM   #13
jc5988
Captain
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i 6MT

Quote:
Is the gruppe m completely sealed? What cat-back do you think? It seems like magnaflow and pe are the 2 only opinons. Correct me if i'm wrong...
gruppe m is a semi open system, has two intake port opening with cone type filter. AFE i think many guy has trouble with their system, not sure about newest one they got though...

best one u can get for exhaust probably is the supersprint full setup, but thats gonna cost u over 4-5k. come with everything, header mid pipe to rear muffler.

also the "detailaddicted" system looks very nice with mandrel bend pipes welded together.

No official PE dyno, but it does sounds good, also Magnaflow i dont think anyone but Magnaflow dyno'd it. it sounds more mellow and deep. cat back wont give you much without changing the header though.
      04-08-2012, 06:32 PM   #14
Bmachine18
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazRokz.!
Quote:
Thats how much they run for used on line from your average junkyard. Forum member jntar gave me the name of a website a while back and $300 seemed like the average price for a manifold. I have it written down somewhere, but you should probably ask him to see if he still remembers.
Can you give me that website and what's the exact part that fits the 328i
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 06:41 PM   #15
RazRokz.!
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Can you give me that website and what's the exact part that fits the 328i
( www.car-part.com ) As for part, I think the x3 manifold is a direct fit because it has the oil separator already on it just like our 328's do.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 10:31 PM   #16
Johnny D
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [9.16]
Quote:
I have some extra money coming in soon so i'm most likely going to use it to to some engine mod's on my e90. Dynos and everything. The buget i'm working with is about 4grand. I have a list of mods in mind and the goal is 275bhp. What do you guy's think? Feel free to comment what I should add exchange or remove from the list...

Mods:

AA stage 2 tune ---------------------------$500
BMS PBX (throttle mode only) --------------$200
3 Stage intake manifold --------------------$300 (used)
Injen Short Ram intake + Cyba Scoops ------$60 (already have intake)
Dinan throttle body ------------------------$300
Pulstar Performance Spark Plugs ------------$90
MMW catless headers ----------------------$1000
Remus Powersound Muffler -----------------$700
AA Tune, 3 stage manifold and Catless headers should get you to 275hp.
Skip the PBX you wont need it.
Skip the intake and either do the K&N on stock or something sealed. (BMW performance or the new AFE stage 2 intake)
I can't comment on the Dinan throttle body.
You wont gain any power from spark plugs. If your car isnt high mileage, dont mess with them.
Catless headers should be good for 15-20hp
Muffler wont gain much if any power. 2-5hp at best. Pick which ever makes the sound you like.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 10:41 PM   #17
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep
Drives: 06 SGM E90, 15 BSM E84

Quote:
What websites? I would do 330 coversion a LOT sooner if i could get the manifold for $300.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 10:41 PM   #18
redlinedbimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i 6 speed

I wish somebody would buy the cheap ebay headers and see how much a shop would charge them to modify to fit. I'd really like to try going this route if MMW's are going to be a $1000, I can't justify that much for exhaust when I'll also need to pair it with a new muffler to get a desired sound.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 11:03 PM   #19
Johnny D
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [9.16]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUI Elite View Post
What websites? I would do 330 coversion a LOT sooner if i could get the manifold for $300.
Quote:
( www.car-part.com ) As for part, I think the x3 manifold is a direct fit because it has the oil separator already on it just like our 328's do.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 01:09 AM   #20
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
i think main things would be tune, manifold, intake, headers, catless full exhaust.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 07:22 AM   #21
RazRokz.!
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jntar View Post
AA Tune, 3 stage manifold and Catless headers should get you to 275hp.
Skip the PBX you wont need it.
Skip the intake and either do the K&N on stock or something sealed. (BMW performance or the new AFE stage 2 intake)
I can't comment on the Dinan throttle body.
You wont gain any power from spark plugs. If your car isnt high mileage, dont mess with them.
Catless headers should be good for 15-20hp
Muffler wont gain much if any power. 2-5hp at best. Pick which ever makes the sound you like.
What in your opinion is high mileage? I just hit 60k. I have an injen on the car right now but its causing a cel so I'm gonna take it off and put the eurobox w/ k&n in most likely. That seems to have the best reviews on this forum. I know exhaust doesn't really add a lot of hp. Do you think i can hit 275 if I leave the stock one in place?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 07:26 AM   #22
RazRokz.!
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlinedbimmer View Post
I wish somebody would buy the cheap ebay headers and see how much a shop would charge them to modify to fit. I'd really like to try going this route if MMW's are going to be a $1000, I can't justify that much for exhaust when I'll also need to pair it with a new muffler to get a desired sound.
Gavin installed the headers on his car way back when they first came out and made a diy. I took that diy to an exhaust shop/indy bmw mechanic type of place. They quoted me $500 for an install because the have to cut into the motor mounts. I'm not really animate about doing that for safety reasons.
Appreciate 0