E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Dual BOV Setup

06-16-2007, 11:55 AM   #1
merritt
enginerd
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Dual BOV Setup

This week for fun we (a few of us crazy Turbonetics employees) decided to put two Turbonetics Raptor blow off valves on my 335i. Mostly it was to test out adaptors that connect the blow off valves directly to the stock piping, requiring no modifications. That was the excuse anyway... I ran for a day with one Raptor and one stock bov. It was very quiet. The hood does a good job of muffling noise. With two Raptors on the car it now makes a soothing whoosh noise when lifting off the throttle. You can't hear it much with the windows up though. Plus the small filters on the bovs outlets help to muffle the sound a bit. Here is a picture of the setup:

It fits into the engine bay well. I had the Gruppe M intake on the car, but removed it and put the stock intake back on to use with the dual bovs. The Gruppe M intake is a wider box and I didn't want it rubbing against one of the bovs. Next I will block off one of the stock bovs outlets and run just one Raptor. I'm just playing around with different setups and thought I would share...
      06-16-2007, 02:48 PM   #2
1clean335i
Perf BMW mag issue 147, 159
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: Project Estoril

Garage List
Good stuff man! Im really looking forward to a single turbo upgrade from turbonetics... Wish I could of helped you out with that 535i turbo im replacing.. Its actually been sitting on top of my toolbox since you pm'd me since the replacement is on backorder....
      06-16-2007, 03:15 PM   #3
Terry335
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by merritt View Post
This week for fun we (a few of us crazy Turbonetics employees) decided to put two Turbonetics Raptor blow off valves on my 335i. Mostly it was to test out adaptors that connect the blow off valves directly to the stock piping, requiring no modifications. That was the excuse anyway... I ran for a day with one Raptor and one stock bov. It was very quiet. The hood does a good job of muffling noise. With two Raptors on the car it now makes a soothing whoosh noise when lifting off the throttle. You can't hear it much with the windows up though. Plus the small filters on the bovs outlets help to muffle the sound a bit. Here is a picture of the setup:

It fits into the engine bay well. I had the Gruppe M intake on the car, but removed it and put the stock intake back on to use with the dual bovs. The Gruppe M intake is a wider box and I didn't want it rubbing against one of the bovs. Next I will block off one of the stock bovs outlets and run just one Raptor. I'm just playing around with different setups and thought I would share...
Quit screwing around with 10hp intakes and noisemakers and give us some turbo upgrade options.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2007, 03:17 PM   #4
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

is there any benefit to these at all besides noise?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2007, 03:25 PM   #5
ibd12nv
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Rep
Drives: 335I, E46 M3, X5M

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [10.00]
keep at it guys. sooner or later we'll see something really good from the tinkering .
      06-16-2007, 03:35 PM   #6
schneid4323
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
It gives the car Vtec and full drifiting power!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2007, 07:50 PM   #7
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
It helps you enable "limp mode" if you have a xede/PROcede.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 06:38 AM   #8
j|rz44
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i|E92

Garage List
07 335i  [0.00]
Merrit is a girl btw....
and 2 bov's...
Hmmm must of been really bored
      06-17-2007, 11:51 AM   #9
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmramos44 View Post
Merrit is a girl btw....
why does that matter
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 08:07 AM   #10
HyperM3
Too many Alex's, from now on, call me Beaufort
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Sig

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXst3r View Post
It helps you enable "limp mode" if you have a xede/PROcede.
Is that documented?
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 08:46 AM   #11
Red Star Rising
Dealer of Decadence
United_States
Rep
Drives: the Ghost of M3LTDOWN

any reason for the filters?
      06-18-2007, 10:50 AM   #12
merritt
enginerd
United_States
Rep

Quote:
any reason for the filters?
The little filters just keep dirt/dust from being sucked into the BOV when it closes. Also while driving around it keeps things from making their way into the BOV. Sometimes it is amazing where rocks end up.

As for turbo upgrades... New turbos from BMW are $2,200 each, while the main guts aren't the worry it is the compressor and turbine housings/exhaust manifolds that I desire to acquire. No one has any used turbos they can give up, any blown ones go back to BMW for warranties. Pretty much it is a bit difficult at this moment to really explore turbo upgrades. Before things can go very far the fuel system needs to have upgradeable options too. There aren't higher flow injectors available or higher flowing high pressure fuel pumps... Engine management would take a huge amount of time to work out at well. The N54 uses a lot of feedback from sensors. Also drive by wire is still a bit an uncomfortable thing for some people to mess with. No one wants the liability of a programmed car having a problem and defaulting to wide open throttle...
      06-18-2007, 11:00 AM   #13
Park2670
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

Quote:
No one wants the liability of a programmed car having a problem and defaulting to wide open throttle...
Seems like a big problem! I wouldnt want to be held liable
      06-18-2007, 11:02 AM   #14
CASHBY
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335 "done up"

So you guys just made a custom adapters on the BOV;s to fit onto the stock piping?

Nice work!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 11:03 AM   #15
Terry335
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The little filters just keep dirt/dust from being sucked into the BOV when it closes. Also while driving around it keeps things from making their way into the BOV. Sometimes it is amazing where rocks end up.

As for turbo upgrades... New turbos from BMW are $2,200 each, while the main guts aren't the worry it is the compressor and turbine housings/exhaust manifolds that I desire to acquire. No one has any used turbos they can give up, any blown ones go back to BMW for warranties. Pretty much it is a bit difficult at this moment to really explore turbo upgrades. Before things can go very far the fuel system needs to have upgradeable options too. There aren't higher flow injectors available or higher flowing high pressure fuel pumps... Engine management would take a huge amount of time to work out at well. The N54 uses a lot of feedback from sensors. Also drive by wire is still a bit an uncomfortable thing for some people to mess with. No one wants the liability of a programmed car having a problem and defaulting to wide open throttle...
The ECU side is no problem, the piggy back systems ala procede, xede, etc all can handle AF/timing, and there seems to be room in the injector setup for more boost.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 11:04 AM   #16
CASHBY
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335 "done up"

That would be kind of scary, although I have never had any issues with my Big Turbo setups having DBW.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 06:13 PM   #17
merritt
enginerd
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry335 View Post
The ECU side is no problem, the piggy back systems ala procede, xede, etc all can handle AF/timing, and there seems to be room in the injector setup for more boost.
The injectors do have thier flow capacity printed on them, the max flow rate is something like 573 ccs. That means the injectors will flow enough fuel for something around 490 hp (which is plenty for most people I suppose), considering keeping the duty cycle below 80%. Some people simply increase their fuel pressure a tad as a way around upgrading injectors. That is a route I am thinking won't go over too well with a direct injection system that already has fuel pressure up to 200 bar (that is 2,900 psi). I don't the flow range of the high pressure fuel pump though. It needs to flow enough fuel to keep the fuel pressure high enough to properly atomize the fuel so the engine doesn't go lean... Then the fuel tank pump needs to flow enough to supply the high pressure pump...

As for piggy back unit/engine tunes don't begin to believe that anything beyond a scratch on the surface has been uncovered when it comes to the potential of the N54's system. The system is very complex and relies on feedback from a wide variety of sensors working together. Even the coolant pump has its own tune...
      06-18-2007, 06:30 PM   #18
Terry335
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The injectors do have thier flow capacity printed on them, the max flow rate is something like 573 ccs. That means the injectors will flow enough fuel for something around 490 hp (which is plenty for most people I suppose), considering keeping the duty cycle below 80%. Some people simply increase their fuel pressure a tad as a way around upgrading injectors. That is a route I am thinking won't go over too well with a direct injection system that already has fuel pressure up to 200 bar (that is 2,900 psi). I don't the flow range of the high pressure fuel pump though. It needs to flow enough fuel to keep the fuel pressure high enough to properly atomize the fuel so the engine doesn't go lean... Then the fuel tank pump needs to flow enough to supply the high pressure pump...

As for piggy back unit/engine tunes don't begin to believe that anything beyond a scratch on the surface has been uncovered when it comes to the potential of the N54's system. The system is very complex and relies on feedback from a wide variety of sensors working together. Even the coolant pump has its own tune...
That's 573cc @ 2900psi?

I've run a few setups to 95% with no il effects, but you never know with DI. The DI does allow you to run leaner than average, perhaps a BSFC of ~ .48 is reasonable.

On the piggy back, I'm sure technology will go forward, but as of right now a basic AF, timing, boost tune is no problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 04:36 AM   #19
j|rz44
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i|E92

Garage List
07 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
why does that matter
someone reffered to her as "man", so i thought that i would point that out
Want to fight?

Hows that inter cooler looking Merritt?
      06-19-2007, 11:33 PM   #20
E90Russ
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan (E90)

Weird I went to your website. I remember seeing your Civic HB around Northern Virginia when I use to live there.
Appreciate 0