ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-16-2007, 10:04 AM   #1
preilly44
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4

Is my service dept screwing me?

I purchased an 04 Z4 2.5 about a month ago from BMW in Carlisle, Pa and I was amazed at how great my sales guy was. Then the check engine light came on (I assume because I got gas in NJ and they didn't put the cap on tight). So I called and set up service...and while it was there, I asked them to fix several things:
1. My passenger airbag off light was on all the time, even when someone was sitting in it and it was switched to on.
2. I asked them to program my key to be able to put the top down from the remote as my sales person told me could be done (as well as my instruction manual).
3. I asked them to program the turn signal to blink three times when I tap it down.

They advised me that 04 Z4's can't have the top put down from the remote. They said that started in 05. I responded by telling them that it is in my manual, my salesman told me it could, and many forum members can. He again stated it can't be done in an 04, I must have a manual for an 05 and the forum members are lying or have 05 or newer. This was the first thing that upset me.

Then they told me my aftermarket navigation system was causing the airbag light problem....even though the airbag light was on when I purchased the car a few weeks before I had the nav unit installed.

Then they told me the turn signal could not be programmed to blink three times because of the NAV. I don't know for sure, but this sounds like absolute BS to me.

Now on to my sales experience. My sales guy when I got the car was great....but there were some issues.

1. When I test drove the car and put a deposit down on it the car had a spare tire and spare tire cover in the trunk...but when I got the car home a few days later there was no spare tire or cover in the trunk. The car has runflats so I didn't really care and didn't fuss about it (but I did email my sales guy twice who never responded).

2. When I was signing the papers (with finance at the dealership), I signed a contract that stated my first two payments would be free...then the salesman came in and said my car wasn't eligible for that (even though I had a signed contract)...I let them out of it because I'm a nice guy and I felt bad for the girl who made a mistake.

My car was made in March of 04 and the convertible top from the remote option didn't start until April....but I feel with everything I've been told and put through, they should install the module and just make it work for me.

With regards to everything else though...are they screwing me?

Patrick
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2007, 10:14 AM   #2
MakoBimmer1
Booyakasha!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Mini Cooper S Coupe'

Garage List
1.) The Z4 has never had a spare tire. There is no place for it. They all come with runflats unless you get the M model, then you get an airpump and fixaflat crap until getting the tire fixed/replaced.

2.) The turn signal has never been able to be programmed to blink 3 times.... The new 3 series, yes.

3.) The '04 has never had the top down feature with the key fob. The newer models do, however. My new M model does.

4.) The airbag light sensor could be a problem.... Some peeps here have had issues with the sensor becoming damaged because of placing too much concentrated pressure on the seat. When I clean my rear window, I used to put my knees in the seat and lean to the back, putting lots of pressure on the seat...not anymore. This may have occured with yours. Call BMWNA.... This is a safety issue and should be repaired by BMWNA.

Good luck to you...
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2007, 10:22 AM   #3
Godspeed
Private
Rep
Drives: E85 3.0

Hey preilly, I'd take it to another dealer. There are good ones out there. Mine is fantastic, but I'm in OR.

Did you replace the head unit with an aftermarket stereo or something? What kind of Nav system do you have? It sounds like complete bunk to me. However, I would make that a top priority to get repaired. I'd hate to be in an accident with a passenger and have a known malfunction in one of my restraint systems.

As far as the three blink thing... if it's an aftermarket Nav then there's no way it would affect the programming. I've been meaning to get mine reprogrammed too. Had that feature on a Benz and really liked it.

They're probably right with the remote issue on the top. I'm not aware of any official part that you can use to modify remote opening of the top that is available in the States. There is the 'Rheinhold Module' but I believe that is only available in Europe. If you find something else I'd love to modify my 03 to do the same.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2007, 10:33 AM   #4
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

my 04 does have the top down from the keyfob, but I do have a late build 04

it was built in 8/04 iirc

maybe early 04's didn't have it, but mine certainly does
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2007, 10:35 AM   #5
Godspeed
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoBimmer1 View Post
1.) 2.) The turn signal has never been able to be programmed to blink 3 times.... The new 3 series, yes.
Hmmm... I'm certain I saw this as part of the pre-delivery programming checklist for the Zed. Someone had posted a copy of the checklist on 4um but no luck.

Regarding the Airbag problem, there was a post over at roadfly where the sensor had become dislodged from the bottom of the seat due to kneeling on the center of the pad. Solution was to remove the seat (4 bolts) and push the sensor back in.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2007, 12:21 PM   #6
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep
Drives: '07 M Coupé & '16 435xi GCoupé

Sorry to hear of your troubles, preilly44. Although I agree with the other posters above, you may want to get an official statement from BMWNA on those issues. If BMWNA comes back with answers you were looking for you can then use it as tactful fodder against the dealership.

As for the freebies that were retracted after the fact, you should be able to get them back as it was written in the contract. It might have been the dealer's mistake to offer you 2 free payments, but it's their mistake not yours. Misrepresentation is just not cool.

Head on over to the e90post forums and look for the regional forum that's closest to where you live. There should be some nice info from fellow BMW members on good/bad dealerships. Good luck.

Last edited by Rick Hunter; 06-16-2007 at 09:50 PM.. Reason: Mentioned wrong forum member... Sorry!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2007, 01:10 PM   #7
Godspeed
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hunter View Post
Sorry to hear of your troubles, Godspeed.
'twasn't me! It was preilly's post!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2007, 02:08 PM   #8
takedown8
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW Z4 3.0i

I'm sorry to hear about all of this. You should've come on this board first though before signing.

You don't have to program the key to put the top down. If it can put it down, then you should've been able to do so at the dealer when you test drove it.

The spare tire that was in the trunk and then gone when you received it was poor show on their part. Next time if there's anything extra included, get it in writing.

Car salespeople & dealerships will often screw you whenever they can, esp. when it comes to selling used cars 'cause they're desperate to get rid of them.

Definitely report in with BMWNA, and find a better dealer if possible.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2007, 02:32 PM   #9
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godspeed View Post
Hmmm... I'm certain I saw this as part of the pre-delivery programming checklist for the Zed. Someone had posted a copy of the checklist on 4um but no luck.
This wasn't an option in the 2003-2005 cars - it started with the 2006 model year.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2007, 04:55 PM   #10
GP20
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M, F80 M3, 991.2 GTS

Quote:
They advised me that 04 Z4's can't have the top put down from the remote. They said that started in 05. I responded by telling them that it is in my manual, my salesman told me it could, and many forum members can. He again stated it can't be done in an 04, I must have a manual for an 05 and the forum members are lying or have 05 or newer. This was the first thing that upset me.
If your '04 Z4 was built before April, 2004, then you would not be able to lower the top with the key remote. If yours was built in or after April, 2004, then it works.

Quote:
Then they told me the turn signal could not be programmed to blink three times because of the NAV. I don't know for sure, but this sounds like absolute BS to me.
They're telling you the truth. I had the same problem on my '04 3.0i with Pioneer navigation. I had to temporarily connect the stock head-unit & amplifier.

Quote:
1. When I test drove the car and put a deposit down on it the car had a spare tire and spare tire cover in the trunk...but when I got the car home a few days later there was no spare tire or cover in the trunk. The car has runflats so I didn't really care and didn't fuss about it (but I did email my sales guy twice who never responded).
Does sound weird that they'd put a spare tire in the Z4 in the first place. About the run-flat tires, soon you will find that they give you terrible ride quality and bad handling. Non-run flat tires + a can of fix-a-flat is the way to go.

Quote:
When I test drove the car and put a deposit down on it the car had a spare tire and spare tire cover in the trunk...but when I got the car home a few days later there was no spare tire or cover in the trunk. The car has runflats so I didn't really care and didn't fuss about it (but I did email my sales guy twice who never responded).]
It's not possible to retrofit that feature. My dealer had tried everything for me on my March, '04 built Z4. They changed the module, re-programmed every computer that we could think of, replaced the soft-top motor, and still, it was impossible to get it to work.

EDIT: re-read your post about the turn signals blinking 3 times. I thought you meant the turn singals blinking when you lock/unlock the car. If you're talking about the lane-change 3 flash turn singal feature, only '06~'07 Z4 are able to do that. Cannot be retrofitted on '03~'05 Z4's. But again, for anything else, if you need to change the car/key settings, you need to connect the stock HU & amplifier first.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2007, 10:54 PM   #11
preilly44
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for all your posts! I really appreciate everyones times. I thought it was strange for a car with runflats to have a spare tire as well but I am 100% certain it was there because I asked the salesman if it ever had been used and he said he assumed not but he wasn't sure. I tried to pull the molding down from around it and it didn't come off easily so I just left it. It was right below where the top goes down sticking in to the main trunk compartment area...if that makes sense.

Anyway, thanks again for all your help and advice!

Patrick
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 08:19 AM   #12
155MPH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 sDrive28i M Performance

Garage List
I can't help reading the title of this thread and thinking "that's not a service my dealer provides"...
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 10:26 AM   #13
soeharyo
lettuce
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

155MPH: LOL

GP20:

Is there any way we can have the car turn signals blink when we unlock it... or make the horn sound... cause sometimes i'd love for it to do that so that i can look for it easily in a crowded parking lot.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 03:36 PM   #14
Yal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 Z4 2.5 Maldives Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by soeharyo View Post
155MPH: LOL

GP20:

Is there any way we can have the car turn signals blink when we unlock it... or make the horn sound... cause sometimes i'd love for it to do that so that i can look for it easily in a crowded parking lot.
I believe you can have the lights blink if you get the alarm turned on. Don't have to have it, just have it and the alert options enabled in software. This should also make your clown nose blink.
      06-17-2007, 10:20 PM   #15
soeharyo
lettuce
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

Wait... so do i need to have the alarm system or not?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 10:26 PM   #16
takedown8
Major
United_States
Rep

You can make the lights flash, but I don't think it honks unless you have the alarm.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 12:12 PM   #17
preilly44
Enlisted Member
Rep

Update...not good

Well, they had my car for 8 days and determined it was a defective airbag module (I'm not sure which one).

When I received my car the rims were still dirty (even though they "washed" the car) and the aftermarket stereo was not working properly. When I took the key out of the ignition the stereo kept playing...so I assumed they reversed the always on and the accessory wires...so I called the service dept and asked them about it and they said they only removed the fuse and that it must be a programming issue with the aftermarket stereo. It sounded like BS but I decided to call Kenwood anyway. They confirmed my belief that there was no setting that would make the stereo do that. I then called them back advised them of the situation and they agreed to pick up the car again (they were also going to replace the 12v DC fuse which they blew and did not replace). Well they only had it for one day this time but when I received it back the trim that goes around the stereo looked like they just squeezed it in because they didn't feel like removing the stereo to pull it out one notch (they have the stereo too far inside the dash). Not to mention when I pushed a couple buttons on my way in to work today the entire stereo reset so I am guessing there is a loose connection some where.

As you can see, I am extremely disappointed in Sun Motor Cars of Carlisle, PA. I also left my sales person a voicemail asking him to call me (about a week ago when they first tried to blame the airbag issue on the stereo) and he never called me back.

At this point I'm just going to take the car back to where I had the stereo installed and pay them to fix it. Sad story, but I'll never buy another car from Sun Motors again.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 01:56 PM   #18
Godspeed
Private
Rep

Personally, I'd get BMWNA involved. That is not acceptable for the brand.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 02:57 PM   #19
takedown8
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godspeed View Post
Personally, I'd get BMWNA involved. That is not acceptable for the brand.
x2 Gotta let somebody know about this.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2007, 02:50 PM   #20
pbdm4k
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

"I bought your damn luxury car, now where's my freaking luxury service? Does it look like I bought a Honda to you? Now fix the damn car!!"
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2007, 08:03 PM   #21
preilly44
Enlisted Member
Rep

I noticed tonight that my nav unit no longer changes to the darker screen when the headlights are on. I really don't want to call the service dept again....
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2007, 03:35 AM   #22
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep
Drives: '07 M Coupé & '16 435xi GCoupé

Don't need to. Have an attorney make the call for you.