E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Exhaust Removal....Anyone DIY?

04-07-2012, 12:36 AM   #1
mapleridge
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 N52 AT

Exhaust Removal....Anyone DIY?

Hi All,

I have a new system coming from detailaddict. I was wondering if anyone did it themselves and if any gaskets etc. are needed? Some pointers would be helpful.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 08:37 AM   #2
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

I've not removed the exhaust on my 325i yet (I might be doing it this weekend to check my drive shaft splines), but I've done sveral other 3-series and they are all pretty much the same. A few pointers:

You'll find the nuts are not rusted too bad. BMW uses good metals for the nuts. But get new OEM nuts for the flange where the exhaust connects to the mainfold.

The exhaust is long and heavy. Get the car level and as high up as possible.

Make sure downstream O2 sensor is not located in the part of the exhaust you are removing (i.e. past the manifold flange break). If it is make sure you UNPLUG IT FIRST before removing the nuts and hangers.

Use rolling floor jack to ease it down.

Get a set of exhaust hanger pliers (Leslie tools makes a nice set) to remove the rubber hangers.

Get a new gasket(s).

Let some penetrating oil soak into the mounting bolts for awhile. If you have access to an impact wrench (electric or air), I suggest using it because it makes the job of removing the nuts much easier.

Remove the center mount that is bolted to the transmission rear mount.

Unbolt it at the flange break. Let it hang. Center-balance the exhaust on the jack and pre-load it a bit (i.e. jack the exhaust up an inch or two. Remove the hangers once you have the exhaust center-balanced on the jack. Use some type of strap to hold the exhaust to the jack. Remove the hangers from the muffler (first) back towards the center of the car. Ease the exhaust down.

It's best to have a helper.

Last edited by ENINTY; 04-07-2012 at 08:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 08:49 AM   #3
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

Thanks a lot. I wouldn't be able to get a new gasket on such short notice I don't think. I wanted to attempt this on Monday.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 08:52 AM   #4
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleridge View Post
Thanks a lot. I wouldn't be able to get a new gasket on such short notice I don't think. I wanted to attempt this on Monday.
Well, it's probably not a real problem. If the gasket is not badly torn up you can resuse it. It usually just stays in place anyway. Worst case is you can always replace it without totally removing the system again. You can just unbolt the new exhaust, move it back, and replace the gasket.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 10:39 AM   #5
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
Well, it's probably not a real problem. If the gasket is not badly torn up you can resuse it. It usually just stays in place anyway. Worst case is you can always replace it without totally removing the system again. You can just unbolt the new exhaust, move it back, and replace the gasket.

Good luck.
Thanks. I only have hand tools but I have a floor jack. Im going to put the car on ramps and I have some of that spray to loosen bolts. Hopefully it won't be a major pain.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 07:15 PM   #6
DDS2015
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3CS

Garage List
2021 BMW X3  [0.00]
2023 BMW M4  [0.00]
Did a search in the DIY for you and this is what I came up with.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...rmance+exhaust
Appreciate 0