E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Universal Joint and Flex Joint!!! Clanking!!!

03-28-2012, 02:21 PM   #1
SugarWaterPurple1
ArmyBMWSGT
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i S/P

Universal Joint and Flex Joint!!! Clanking!!!

Will someone please tell me the difference between these two, i go everywhere and i get different answers, some say its the same thing others say its two totally different things. Can someone please post pics of these or links to a site that can describe these in detail. I think these or this or whatever may be the problem with the clanking and slamming i hear coming from underneath in the drivetrain.!!! help please would like to know more before I take it into the stealer to get it fixed
      03-28-2012, 07:24 PM   #2
Healey3000
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i, with 3 pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarWaterPurple1 View Post
Will someone please tell me the difference between these two, i go everywhere and i get different answers, some say its the same thing others say its two totally different things. Can someone please post pics of these or links to a site that can describe these in detail. I think these or this or whatever may be the problem with the clanking and slamming i hear coming from underneath in the drivetrain.!!! help please would like to know more before I take it into the stealer to get it fixed
Hi,

A universal joint is a broad term used to describe a joint that allows two connected shafts to be non co-linear. This may be why you hear some people describing the flex coupler as a universal joint.

A classic U-joint consists of two yokes that allow a wide range of misalignment (bent shaft look). Imagine a letter U attached to the end of a shaft. Place another U on the second shaft and then turn one so that it fits into another. Connect the two U's using a piece shaped like a cross. Picture that and you will see how it continues to transmit torque even if the shafts are not co-linear.

The guibo on our cars serves two purposes - it allows for some misalignment but more importantly, it acts as a cushion for torque changes. It is typically a rubber donut with alternating holes to connect to the ends of both shafts. Over time, the rubber starts to fatigue and will crack. Depending on how bad it is, you may hear noises as the shaft flops around a bit.

A true U-joint does not wear like this. The bearings where the cross fits into each U will eventually fail. If you take a look under a big truck, you will clearly see the joint. They are superior for high-torque applications where the shaft angles are substantial.

Hope this helps clarify.

Regards.

Last edited by Healey3000; 03-28-2012 at 08:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #3
GMWNashville
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 G05, 16 F80, 10 E70x5D

good description above. The clank you hear-is it on load reversal-IE from park to reverse or drive or drive to reverse etc. ?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 09:20 PM   #4
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkswackin View Post
good description above. The clank you hear-is it on load reversal-IE from park to reverse or drive or drive to reverse etc. ?
I don't think so. I think what the OP is hearing is a metallic "tink" when the drivetrain is loaded and unloaded. It is most prevalent in slow speed situations with frequent application of throttle-on/throttle off.

My car started making this same noise for about 60,000 miles. I've investigated it somewhat and think it is noise related to the driveshaft splines banging on each other. When in the driver's seat it sounds most like it is coming from the differential as pinion gear slop, but I cannot replicate the noise in the diff when I have the car on the lift.

I plan additional investigation when I get time to pull the exhaust and be able to get a good look at the drive shaft. All I can say now is the noise once I noticed it around 111,000 miles has not become any worse with my car now at 171,000. I do not think it is the guibo as mine is still in very good shape.
Appreciate 0