F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Voice control
Extreme Powerhouse

03-27-2012, 07:19 AM   #1
PrinceBarin
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 CP (sold)

Voice control

Please could someone confirm whether the F30 includes any voice control features as standard?

I thought this was an optional extra (6NL & 6NK) but I read something recently which seemed to imply that you could use voice commands to control the phone even on the standard car, and that the optional voice control (6NL & 6NK) was only relevant for for enhanced features (e.g. controlling nav or music).

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 07:48 AM   #2
PrinceBarin
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Bump. Hopefully this is an easy one!? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 07:53 AM   #3
bcl0328
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceBarin View Post
Bump. Hopefully this is an easy one!? Thanks.
only voice control i've used so far was for navigation. i don't know the commands for anything else.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 08:58 AM   #4
RJCrew
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 ///M4 ZCP SO/SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl0328 View Post
only voice control i've used so far was for navigation. i don't know the commands for anything else.
You can go to the owner's manual page 306-313 for more short commands
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 10:00 PM   #5
PrinceBarin
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks. It's still not clear to me though. I don't have NAV or any other tech options but can I use voice control to, say, dial a phone number or call someone from my contacts list?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 04:28 AM   #6
rob72
/dev/random
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Thanks. It's still not clear to me though. I don't have NAV or any other tech options but can I use voice control to, say, dial a phone number or call someone from my contacts list?
I will be in a similar situation as I will not have Navigation. But it will still be almost a month before I get the car. What may happen, if similar to the Parrot in my current car, that it is dependent on the phone itself. When I double press the button on the parrot I can say a contact name and my phone itself will try to lookup the contact.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 05:19 AM   #7
PrinceBarin
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks Rob. My Audi A3 has it. I can read out a phone number and ask the phone to dial it - it's usually faultless in recognising the numbers as I read them out. Also, I can assign voice tag to contacts in the phone book and then call them just by saying the voice tag.

I won't pretend to use it a lot, so didn't spec 'advanced Bluetooth & voice control', but I get the impression this option is only necessary if you want to voice control music / NAV etc and that basic voice control (like that featured on my Audi) comes as standard. I guess I will find out when I press the voice control button on my car's steering wheel, but hopefully someone has already done this.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 09:21 PM   #8
SCBimmerKid
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey F30

Quote:
Yes you can. Even without the tech package, you can use voice control for bluetooth phone connectivity.

*NO LONGER ON ORDER* '12 328i Mineral Grey Metallic w/black leather/aluminum&black gloss trim/ZSL/ZPP/Xenons
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 02:24 AM   #9
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
I kinda just hope it is improved from the system in my X5.. constantly it doesn't recognize my command and it's like "system off" grrr lol

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 02:37 AM   #10
PrinceBarin
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by svache
I kinda just hope it is improved from the system in my X5.. constantly it doesn't recognize my command and it's like "system off" grrr lol
LOL.

So annoying when you say "dial" and the system repeats it back to you as "cancel" before shutting down and putting you back to square one!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 02:54 AM   #11
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
Quote:
LOL.

So annoying when you say "dial" and the system repeats it back to you as "cancel" before shutting down and putting you back to square one!
Yup happens a lot. And I doubt it is my Dutch accent others have the same problem in my car (regular American-English speaking people that is lol)

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 04:45 AM   #12
PrinceBarin
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBimmerKid
Quote:
Yes you can. Even without the tech package, you can use voice control for bluetooth phone connectivity.
Thanks. Always nice to find out that your car has features you were not expecting! If this DVD thing comes through as well, I'll be over the moon...
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 03:59 PM   #13
PAR5
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 318d Sport

I can't voice dial from mine and I have the 318d Sport. Spoke to BMW and they said voice recognition of any kind is only available when the nav option is taken
Appreciate 0