ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-12-2007, 09:22 AM   #1
Yal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 Z4 2.5 Maldives Blue

You meet some nice people with a Zed

So AT&T decided that my network uptime was too good and decided to cut all the circuits coming into my plant. It was actually planned and I was told that in no uncertain terms would the 6 splices take more than 30 minutes. So 90 minutes later they call to say they're done. Since my phone system was still down along with my backup T1s, I decided to argue. Long story short, I now have to go to the plant at 8:30 pm.

I show up and work with the techs, take the "screamer" to the plant so that we can run tone down the lines. Techs can't figure it out so I insist on getting a supervisor down there.

Supervisor shows up annoyed that I'm demanding he be there. We talk at elevated volume and decide how to resolve the problem. I tell him i'm going down to the plant to let security know i'm working on the phone/internet cut.

When I return, the guy is all friendliness and cheer. He compliments me on my car and is all chatty. Turns out he's a Z3M driver and loves all the Z cars. We chat about how much fun it is to run up Highway 9 in the morning prior to work and how great it is to run top down. Got even better when it turned out that I know his brother.

I'm sometimes leery of turning up in my Z because it seems a lot of people get an attitude when they see you turn up in a BMW. This time it worked for me.
      06-12-2007, 09:32 AM   #2
takedown8
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yal View Post
So AT&T decided that my network uptime was too good and decided to cut all the circuits coming into my plant. It was actually planned and I was told that in no uncertain terms would the 6 splices take more than 30 minutes. So 90 minutes later they call to say they're done. Since my phone system was still down along with my backup T1s, I decided to argue. Long story short, I now have to go to the plant at 8:30 pm.

I show up and work with the techs, take the "screamer" to the plant so that we can run tone down the lines. Techs can't figure it out so I insist on getting a supervisor down there.

Supervisor shows up annoyed that I'm demanding he be there. We talk at elevated volume and decide how to resolve the problem. I tell him i'm going down to the plant to let security know i'm working on the phone/internet cut.

When I return, the guy is all friendliness and cheer. He compliments me on my car and is all chatty. Turns out he's a Z3M driver and loves all the Z cars. We chat about how much fun it is to run up Highway 9 in the morning prior to work and how great it is to run top down. Got even better when it turned out that I know his brother.

I'm sometimes leery of turning up in my Z because it seems a lot of people get an attitude when they see you turn up in a BMW. This time it worked for me.
Well, I don't really know what the hell you're talking about, but thanks for your life story!

J/K, Yal. It's nice to meet other Zed owners. We're a cool and friendly bunch!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2007, 09:34 AM   #3
zednik
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0i

That reminds me of an old pal who had a very nice 911 but frequently drove his girlfriends Datsun 510 because he said "sometimes I just don't want to be the guy in the Porsche".

This same fellow later owned a Dino 246GT but only kept if for 6 months 'cause he was just too self conscious.

When I first showed up at work in my Zed it seemed to change the way a couple of the crew acted toward me but they got over it pretty quick when they found out it didn't cost $85k.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2007, 09:41 AM   #4
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
You meet some nice people with a Zed
Yeah... you sure do
When I was just out getting a Shell V-Power fillup;
I got flagged by a hot blonde in a 3.0si
She saw me at the light & want info on my front plate.....
Chatted about our cars a while then headed on our way.
A great break in the morning work day

:edit:
oops she totally distracted me... Shell V1 -> Shell V-Power
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)

Last edited by inTgr8r; 06-12-2007 at 11:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2007, 10:27 AM   #5
takedown8
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Yeah... you sure do
When I was just out getting a Shell V1 fillup;
No offense, Yal, but I'd rather meet her instead of your supervisor.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2007, 11:23 AM   #6
Bluesharp
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 Roadster, Montego Blue

Quote:
I totally agree that you often meet nice folks, and conversations start 'causa the Z. I've NEVER had so many people wave or say hi in my life. It rules!

I think the ones that are put off by it are just jealous, so I take that as a compliment, as well. The wierd part is that I've noticed more of my FRIENDS copping attitude than strangers. A couple of them sometimes make subtle comments about my being obsessed... like that's somehow supposed to be a BAD thing.

I think it has to do with social status in the pack, and they gotta do something psychological to protect their ranking. I've noticed it most with guitar players and ex-girlfriends.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2007, 04:02 PM   #7
Yal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

This morning a Z3 and I exchanged waves a couple times in traffic. He looked quite happy despite having the top up on a nice morning.
      06-12-2007, 08:31 PM   #8
AlanL
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 328ix Sports Wagon

I could spin similar tales about the upper management folks who rarely even speak to the network geeks who now can't wait for a chance to talk about cars with me now that they have seen my coupe in the parking garage. My coworkers have been trying to get on speaking terms with the purchasing folks for years now and it turns out that the head dude's wife has a Z3 that he grabs every time she will let him get behind the wheel. I now have a hard time getting back to my desk now if I run into him when I go down to the coffee bar for a break.

Amazing what kind of ice a nice ride can break.....
      06-12-2007, 08:51 PM   #9
20Ducks
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e93 335i w/M pkge

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Yeah... you sure do
When I was just out getting a Shell V-Power fillup;

:edit:
oops she totally distracted me... Shell V1 -> Shell V-Power
Excellent recovery.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2007, 10:12 PM   #10
enfield
Civilian
Canada
Rep
Drives: Jaguar F-Type V8 S

I had a woman follow me for 2 or 3 km to Starbucks because she though my car was gorgeous. She had a '05 330i. Very nice lady. She has decided to get one too - she had no idea about the Z4M. She did not want the M version of the Coupe. I had to break it to her that the 3.0 was not available in Canada.... I also met a Police Officer who liked my car and checked it out. He gave me his card to keep with the registration papers
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2007, 12:10 AM   #11
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep
Drives: '07 M Coupé & '16 435xi GCoupé

Damn you guys... I haven't had a really hot woman come up to me to compliment my ride. Maybe I'm driving around the wrong places...
      06-13-2007, 02:28 AM   #12
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

You might want to look into that, all right. I've gotten several "Hot car"s from the fairer sex since buying the Z4; just last Friday a woman in a Mazda called out "You look great in that car!" at a stoplight. The car does get you noticed. Heck, yours is RED, even.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2007, 04:08 AM   #13
enfield
Civilian
Canada
Rep
Drives: Jaguar F-Type V8 S

Rick has a Coupe. That makes a difference. I would have the comments at lights when I had my "Roaster". That does not happen in the Coupe probably because the windows are up and the a/c is on. Truth be told - I prefer the privacy.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2007, 06:32 AM   #14
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by enfield View Post
Rick has a Coupe. That makes a difference. I would have the comments at lights when I had my "Roaster". That does not happen in the Coupe probably because the windows are up and the a/c is on. Truth be told - I prefer the privacy.
Thats all you need is more women hanging around you - best for you and society at large if you stay covered up
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2007, 06:51 AM   #15
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyshk View Post
Thats all you need is more women hanging around you - best for you and society at large if you stay covered up
LOL....
Caddyshk ..............
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2007, 08:50 AM   #16
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep
Drives: '07 M Coupé & '16 435xi GCoupé

Maybe I need stripes like on zee42's Zed?

Haha, just kidding.
      06-13-2007, 08:52 AM   #17
Vroomer
Injected with a poison
Rep
Drives: Pick one

Quote:

I like seeing people's true character first.
      06-13-2007, 08:53 AM   #18
takedown8
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hunter View Post
Maybe I need stripes like on zee42's Zed?

Haha, just kidding.
Rick, you should just wear a t-shirt around with a picture of your car on it. Then people can give you compliments wherever you go!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2007, 09:04 AM   #19
Yal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Turns out our treasurer has a black 3.0si. We're now good buddies. He asked me who owns the "baby blue" one out in the parking lot...
      06-13-2007, 09:05 AM   #20
takedown8
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Turns out our treasurer has a black 3.0si. We're now good buddies. He asked me who owns the "baby blue" one out in the parking lot...
Baby Blue?! I can't say I'm happy about that!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2007, 09:17 AM   #21
rosierobins2003
Rosie.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Z4 2.8 Auto....

Garage List
2016 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
You might want to look into that, all right. I've gotten several "Hot car"s from the fairer sex since buying the Z4; just last Friday a woman in a Mazda called out "You look great in that car!" at a stoplight. The car does get you noticed. Heck, yours is RED, even.
Yeah, I heard the same comment at the high school by a kid walking by the other day...hot car or something similar...it made me smile.

Rosie
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2007, 02:44 PM   #22
PhilDZ4
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 3.0 Z4 Roadster

Baby blue = Maldives??
Appreciate 0