E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > I give up - 335 is nice, if it works

06-12-2007, 01:01 AM   #1
LM1885
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 Black Sapphire

I give up - 335 is nice, if it works

My fuel pump failed after only about 400 miles - it's been at the dealer for the past 5 weeks. Two days ago, the dealer called me and told me it was fixed - new fuel pump installed. About 10 minutes after leaving the dealer, car has EXACTLY the same problem that it did before the fuel pump was "repaired" - the car goes into limp mode after about 10 minutes of driving - the more you drive, the more quickly it goes into limp mode. In fact, the car had the check engine light on when I picked it up from the dealer....

Anyhow, I don't know how anyone else can just let the car sit at the dealer for weeks and weeks; I had spoken to BMW NA several times during the ordeal, and BMW offered to buy it back last week (right at the 30 day trigger under California's lemon law). Today I took them up on the offer (BMW calls it a "trade assist.") 335 is history (thank god, what a PITA), and I got a new 08 550 in Carbon Black. Very sweet.

Bottom line is this - the 335 coupe is an awesome car (I had Saphire Black, natural interior, step, sport, ipod, nav, satellite, front spoiler, 199 19s, procede (never installed), H&R rear sway, illuminated door sills, and new M steering wheel); but when the car just sits at the dealer, it's a frustrating mess. If BMW could fix my car, I really would've taken it back, but they can't and they have absolutely no idea when it will be ready. I don't think that's reasonable at all, so I gave up. Good luck to those still waiting......
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2007, 01:30 AM   #2
kujo
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

I know your pain.
I'm starting my 7th week.
They offered to put me in a NEW 335i last week.
But, with my suspension, exhaust and wheels, thought that would be a PITA.
So, they fixed things another way.

They told me a big, new batch of pumps will be in this week, early next week at the latest and I'm a priority case, so I should have my car back soon.

Funny, I was going to get an M Sport 550i if I lemoned it too.
Unless, I could find a cherry '06 M3ZCP.

Enjoy the new ride.

kj
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2007, 01:40 AM   #3
MontegoNick
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue

What are you doing with the H&R rear sway bar?

I'd love to buy it if that helps out.
thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2007, 02:03 AM   #4
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 manual 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1885 View Post
My fuel pump failed after only about 400 miles - it's been at the dealer for the past 5 weeks. Two days ago, the dealer called me and told me it was fixed - new fuel pump installed. About 10 minutes after leaving the dealer, car has EXACTLY the same problem that it did before the fuel pump was "repaired" - the car goes into limp mode after about 10 minutes of driving - the more you drive, the more quickly it goes into limp mode. In fact, the car had the check engine light on when I picked it up from the dealer....

Anyhow, I don't know how anyone else can just let the car sit at the dealer for weeks and weeks; I had spoken to BMW NA several times during the ordeal, and BMW offered to buy it back last week (right at the 30 day trigger under California's lemon law). Today I took them up on the offer (BMW calls it a "trade assist.") 335 is history (thank god, what a PITA), and I got a new 08 550 in Carbon Black. Very sweet.

Bottom line is this - the 335 coupe is an awesome car (I had Saphire Black, natural interior, step, sport, ipod, nav, satellite, front spoiler, 199 19s, procede (never installed), H&R rear sway, illuminated door sills, and new M steering wheel); but when the car just sits at the dealer, it's a frustrating mess. If BMW could fix my car, I really would've taken it back, but they can't and they have absolutely no idea when it will be ready. I don't think that's reasonable at all, so I gave up. Good luck to those still waiting......
What kind of deal did they give you on the 550i?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2007, 02:42 AM   #5
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a few BMWs

damn that sucks, but at the same time, your getting an 08 (freshened up and with subtle changes, the 08 e60 is hot) 550i, which by the way I saw a jet black 08 M sport 550i on the 405 the other day and it was gorgeous. The way the new rear LED rod lights look, the new clear and sharp headlights with angel eye DRL's....the new stock wheels even, it was really hot, cant wait to see the M5

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2007, 09:21 AM   #6
TheLegacy
Gangsta status
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 E39 M5, heavily modded

im hoping they fix this problem with my car. Its being built now and its an XI, so maybe they figured out where things go fubar
"Ready for the Apocalypse"
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2007, 12:32 PM   #7
DirtBag335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M

I also went throught the same thing you did. Except I just picked up a Z4M on Saturday.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2007, 03:49 PM   #8
LM1885
Rep

No, they didn't give me any really special deal on the 550 - but it was very fair. I like the 550, it's very cool, but honestly it's not as much fun to drive as the 335, the car I really wanted. I can't say I'm disappointed that I'm in a 550, but I am disappointed that the 335 did not work out. I seriously considered the Z4M coupe, but I need a backseat and my wife thought a sedan would be more "practical."
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2007, 03:53 PM   #9
LM1885
Rep

>> know your pain.
>>I'm starting my 7th week.
>>They offered to put me in a NEW 335i last week.
>>But, with my suspension, exhaust and wheels, thought that would be a >>PITA. So, they fixed things another way.

Because my fuel pump failed almost immediately, I didn't actually get to install most of the stuff I bought for the car, so I am only stuck with returning it all. If BMW could have told me that my car would someday be fixed, I probably would have kept it.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2007, 03:55 PM   #10
zimbim
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Garage List
2007 e350 Sport  [0.00]
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
At least BMW did the right thing and bought back the 335. Good luck with the 550. It's an awesome car. I'm just crossing my fingers that I don't have to go through that nightmare you went through.
      06-13-2007, 06:50 PM   #11
boostedbavarian
......................... .........................
Germany
Rep
Drives: to many cars too fast

wow sorry to hear that i feel for all you people with these fuel pump problems.. when i first got my sti i was having a random misfire and sent it in to the dealer like 4 times just to replace maf sensors and yada yada yada and tell me there was nothing wrong.. i got frustrated and when i was installing my new ems saw that one of the wires on the harness was bad and that was the problem.. some does need to come out with a higher flowing pump soon though..
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2007, 10:58 PM   #12
dustman
Private
Rep
Drives: '13 Ferrari 458 Italia

should have mine back tomorrow

after 3 weeks, should be fixed on Thursday. All it took was a call to BMW NA. Nobody wants to have to go thru the buyback, esp dealer.
Cant wait to drive it again after a Hyundai, gutless C class Mercs, the G35 sedan, etc.
Appreciate 0