E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > PROcede FAQ somewhere? How does it really work?

06-11-2007, 09:21 PM   #1
Cadence
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

PROcede FAQ somewhere? How does it really work?

Has Shiv ever made a good post on exactly how his PROcede works to make great power and keep everything safe?

I know that most other piggyback systems (UTEC, VAFC, ARC2, etc) that alter signals to or from the ECU can be tuned for good power but usually at the expense of the factory ECU no longer being able to compensate for things like altitude, temp, barometric pressure, knock, etc. Is this also the case with the PROcede and if not how is this unit so special?

Also, IIRC the N54 runs 0.8bar (11.6psi) from the factory and the PROcede V1.45 91 octane is also approx 11psi, correct? If so where does all the power and torque come from
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 10:48 PM   #2
Terry335
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 11:09 PM   #3
BMWPower06
A^M=G is nothing w/o the Power of ///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M5 & ///M3

I think shiv has one on his site, if not check his forum
      06-12-2007, 08:00 AM   #4
Cadence
Private First Class
Rep

I found a decent FAQ here http://www.vishnutuningforum.com/for...thread.php?t=2 but it doesn't address all the questions I posted in this thread.

-The BMW press release in the sticky of this section says the N54 runs 0.8bar which is the same pressure that Shiv claims with the PROcede. This doesn't make sense.

-Does the factory ECU still have full control over atmospheric conditions, even with the PROcede manipulating the output signals?

-Does the 93oct map run more boost than the 91oct map or just more timing?

-Did anyone ever check the EGTs before and after a PROcede install?

-Does the PROcede remove the 144mph speed limiter?

Last edited by Cadence; 06-13-2007 at 07:29 AM.. Reason: 1
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2007, 07:30 AM   #5
Cadence
Private First Class
Rep

Bump for more info. Maybe Shiv can step in here.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2007, 07:48 AM   #6
stefano7171
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW e93 335i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I found a decent FAQ here http://www.vishnutuningforum.com/for...thread.php?t=2 but it doesn't address all the questions I posted in this thread.

-The BMW press release in the sticky of this section says the N54 runs 0.8bar which is the same pressure that Shiv claims with the PROcede. This doesn't make sense.

-Does the factory ECU still have full control over atmospheric conditions, even with the PROcede manipulating the output signals?

-Does the PROcede remove the 144mph speed limiter?

Stock engine runs on 0.6 bar at sea level, but compensates for altitude reaching a peak of 0.8 bar. Procede, among other things, make the engine think it is always on a mountain, therfore.... 0,8 bar all the time. This is at least my understanding!
No speed limit removal, maybe with Procede 2.0, but I havre read that a piggyback can not bypass the limiter in any case.
      06-13-2007, 12:47 PM   #7
ingram4868
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefano7171 View Post
Stock engine runs on 0.6 bar at sea level, but compensates for altitude reaching a peak of 0.8 bar. Procede, among other things, make the engine think it is always on a mountain, therfore.... 0,8 bar all the time. This is at least my understanding!
No speed limit removal, maybe with Procede 2.0, but I havre read that a piggyback can not bypass the limiter in any case.
If this statement is accurate then will the PROcede be beneficial for those of us that live at the 5000 foot elevation?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2007, 01:04 PM   #8
e.n335
Austria
Rep
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefano7171 View Post
The PROcede runs 0.96 bar. It takes some power increase from altitude compensation but will still compensate altitude fairly good. There has been a dyno day at ~5000ft with pretty good dyno-charts. A piggyback can defend a speed-limiter as simple little blackboxes can.

Cheers
Eugen
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2007, 09:22 PM   #9
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugen.niederreiter View Post
The PROcede runs 0.96 bar. It takes some power increase from altitude compensation but will still compensate altitude fairly good.
I've got a few questions:
1) I've seen the A/F graph from a Procede car on Dyno and it looks good. But has anyone specifically measured the knock sensor signal during WOT on the road?
2) Any recommendations for technique to avoid destroying the manual transmission with that extra torque? (Besides "just take it easy"...)
3) How does one need to drive to get that claimed 1 or 2 MPG increase?
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 11:40 AM   #10
Cadence
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
1) I've seen the A/F graph from a Procede car on Dyno and it looks good. But has anyone specifically measured the knock sensor signal during WOT on the road?
Excellent question and something that we really need Shiv to answer.Please
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 11:58 AM   #11
Terry335
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
2) Any recommendations for technique to avoid destroying the manual transmission with that extra torque? (Besides "just take it easy"...)
3) How does one need to drive to get that claimed 1 or 2 MPG increase?
Thanks.

I don't think you can measure the knock sensor directly without BMW software. All I (and maybe the pros?) can do is look at the total timing advance stock vs. under boost and "guess" if knock retard is kicking in. Anyway doing this is a basic component of tuning and I'm sure it was done.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 01:05 PM   #12
Dustin Bramell
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, 125cc Trackmagic

Quote:
The BMW press release in the sticky of this section says the N54 runs 0.8bar which is the same pressure that Shiv claims with the PROcede. This doesn't make sense.
The stock car makes about 7-8PSI of boost. In current form, the Procede makes 14psi down to 10psi by redline.

Quote:
Of course! The Procede actually manipulates the signals before they reach the ECU, and lets the ECU make its adjustments. In other words, we are creating an offset to an actual condition, rather than creating a false condition all together.

Quote:
The factory computer is will allow for more ignition advance to be added on 93 octane, but the boost will remain constant on both 91 and 93.

Quote:
?
I know Shiv has read the EGTs, I don't have any of the actual numbers on hand, but I do remember being surprised, as to how easy they were to keep in check.

Quote:
-Does the PROcede remove the 144mph speed limiter? [/B]
It has the ability to, but we are currently not offering that feature because of the liability reasons attached.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 05:46 PM   #13
Cadence
Private First Class
Rep

Dustin@Vishnu wrote:

Quote:
It has the ability to, but we are currently not offering that feature because of the liability reasons attached
I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions and I like the info except for the last part.

We (335 owners) really need to get rid of the top speed limiter. Surely there is a disclaimer form or waiver that we could sign to get the limter removal feature? So many tuners (APR, GIAC, Turner, Diablo, etc) remove the limiter and I don't think there has ever been a legal issue surrounding any of these. If I order T-rated tires from the Tire Rack I don't have to sign a form saying what car they are going on. If Shiv was to install a PROcede into a car himself without the limiter maybe there could be an issue, but shipping them out it should be fine.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 06:01 PM   #14
Terry335
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Dustin@Vishnu wrote:

I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions and I like the info except for the last part.

We (335 owners) really need to get rid of the top speed limiter. Surely there is a disclaimer form or waiver that we could sign to get the limter removal feature? So many tuners (APR, GIAC, Turner, Diablo, etc) remove the limiter and I don't think there has ever been a legal issue surrounding any of these. If I order T-rated tires from the Tire Rack I don't have to sign a form saying what car they are going on. If Shiv was to install a PROcede into a car himself without the limiter maybe there could be an issue, but shipping them out it should be fine.

They will correct me if I'm wrong, but there is also a concern about traction control when the speed limiter defeat is in play.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 06:32 PM   #15
Cadence
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry335 View Post
They will correct me if I'm wrong, but there is also a concern about traction control when the speed limiter defeat is in play.
I don't give a rat's ass if the traction control never comes on again, provided I don't have lights flashing on the dash
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 06:58 PM   #16
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
No there isn't.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 07:13 PM   #17
Cadence
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
No there isn't.
So Shiv how can we get the full potential from our 170mph cars? I am ready to sign on the dotted line
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 09:22 AM   #18
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't think you can measure the knock sensor directly without BMW software.
The fact that there is no stand-alone knock sensor monitor for the 335i seems to imply some obstacle with their configuration.

Quote:
All I (and maybe the pros?) can do is look at the total timing advance stock vs. under boost and "guess" if knock retard is kicking in. Anyway doing this is a basic component of tuning and I'm sure it was done.
I wouldn't trust it was done without some empirical measurements, but I understand it is a basic part of tuning. For example, Shiv pointed out that he'd measured timing retard with the Turbo Tuner. Is this from knock or not? If so, the Turbo Tuner effectively relies on the knock sensor for its tuning. No one seems to know for sure.

However, even after you set your tune, conditions are dynamic and monitoring this signal would provide some important feedback. For example, if the car was filled with bad gas for some reason, or started running too lean for conditions (problem with boost control), or got too hot, the engine could be repeatedly knocking, regardless of diligent tuning. The driver would pretty much always be oblivious to it.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 04:09 PM   #19
Cadence
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
I've been to the top end of this as well as faster in others...

No...we don't "need" to get rid of the limiter.
Sorry but I have no idea what you are trying to say

Shiv, what are your thoughts on removing or raising the top-speed limiter?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 04:50 PM   #20
Terry335
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The fact that there is no stand-alone knock sensor monitor for the 335i seems to imply some obstacle with their configuration.

I wouldn't trust it was done without some empirical measurements, but I understand it is a basic part of tuning. For example, Shiv pointed out that he'd measured timing retard with the Turbo Tuner. Is this from knock or not? If so, the Turbo Tuner effectively relies on the knock sensor for its tuning. No one seems to know for sure.
Effectively, this is correct. I've been doing a lot of scanning at various boost levels and have come to the conclusion that the factory system is pretty dynamic. It will try to put in an optimistic amount of timing, and then back it out if it senses knock. Even when 100% stock, I'll see anywhere from 7 degrees to 11 degrees of timing @ WOT. I've found that ~10psi (2 psi over stock) doesn't have a large impact on the timing, but when I go to 11psi and higher I start to see only 4-5 degrees. The turbo tuner runs at 11psi with no other changes from stock so you can draw your own conclusions.

Next week I'm expecting a portable wide band setup in, and will be adding in addl fuel to see how much boost I ran run before knock retard kicks in.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 05:27 PM   #21
elucas730
I'm just here for the turbo
Rep
Drives: 2004 STi, 2007 335i

Do you (or anyone else) have any data on the fuel system, i.e. how much over stock the fuel pumps, fuel rails, and injectors can handle before needing to go bigger (and which component(s) will need to be upgraded first and at what power levels do we reach the threshold)? I'd assume not until a turbo upgrade, and even then...
      06-17-2007, 07:12 PM   #22
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Even when 100% stock, I'll see anywhere from 7 degrees to 11 degrees of timing @ WOT.
Is that with 91 octane? If so, do you happen to know how this might differ using 93 octane?

Quote:
Next week I'm expecting a portable wide band setup in, and will be adding in addl fuel to see how much boost I ran run before knock retard kicks in.
I used a replacement ECU for an RX-7 R1 that tended to run very rich as a safety measure for avoiding knock under higher-than-stock boost. Was really too rich, and rather wasteful, like how they tend to run race cars. Flames would shoot out the back. (Warmed up, it still managed to pass emissions, even with downpipe instead of pre-cat, and just a high-flow cat.)
Appreciate 0