Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > run flat meltdown

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

03-19-2012, 09:23 PM   #1
FLAZ3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2000 Z3 2.8

run flat meltdown

Wife has been commuting about 90+ miles a day for the past 3 years and It is blowing up my tire budget. We have a 2006 330i Sport package and run flats are lasting about a year and a couple months. I am moving away from run flats this time around to see how it goes. Gonna get Michelin Pilot super sports. where can i get a donut style spare to put in the trunk or does any one know if this will work in a jam?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 05:14 AM   #2
ProperXI
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335xi, Space Grey, Coral Red

im equally annoyed of the RFT's... i just bought my 335xi a month ago and ive managed to pop 2 tires!!! grr!!! so rattling especially since they cost 300$ a piece where im from! i was just looking into the same michelin pilot sports.. ive read some good reviews on them, i would recommend going for it and when/if you do, please post back... i will do the same... i hate the RFT's so much i hope they stop production
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 10:28 AM   #3
SmellyGreek
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue F22 M235i

Garage List
Bav Auto sells a donut spare tire kit. Part # "E90 SPARE KIT". I heard Tischer sold one too, but I haven't seen it on their website.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 10:47 AM   #4
asus389
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 328i

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
You might want to look into an all season tire if what you are looking for is longevity. PSS's are great, but they aren't likely to go *that* much longer than the RFT summer tires put on the sports package - both being summer compounds.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 11:18 AM   #5
branmace
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

^+1
I have to agree with asus389...Michelin PSS's are summer season tires and I thinks offer up to 30K miles warranty. I own a 06 330i w/sport package and staggered run flats and decided to get rid of them (averaging 70 miles a day, with a price tag for all 4 tires in $1200+ range...and the ride is very rough). I currently have Yokas Advants S4 on the rear, and Sports on the front w/winter set of wheels and tires for winter season...and love it. I haven't had a blow-out, yet, going on almost 3 years. I have had a few tire pressure warnings and I'm at the service center right away. I have heard of the "E90 Spare Kit" but it looks it is not more than a can of adhesive, air compressor, and that is all. It is not a spare tire. You can go with AutoZone's tire repair kit, too. However, because of my spare set of wheels and tires, when in need, I can use the spare in emergencies.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 12:41 PM   #6
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

+2 to All Seasons for longevity.

The Pilot SS has a UTOG of 300 while the A/S Continental DWS is rated at 540. The DWS ride is excellent and the handling is very good, once you get used to a slightly mushier steering feel on initial turn in. But that really isn't an issue on most 90 mile commutes!

And I've found that simply throwing a 12v compressor and plug kit in the trunk has (thus far) warded off flats without the need for a spare tire & wheel.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 12:48 PM   #7
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by asus389 View Post
You might want to look into an all season tire if what you are looking for is longevity. PSS's are great, but they aren't likely to go *that* much longer than the RFT summer tires put on the sports package - both being summer compounds.
+1

Tires http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AH8&...ires/index.jsp

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 06:39 AM   #8
Kravin99
FML Too Many Choices
Rep
Drives: 07 328i Coupe

Michelin has a $70.00 rebate on a set of four PSS tires through April 1, 2012
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 07:47 AM   #9
LetsRock
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Garage List
2011 328xi  [0.00]
2007 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAZ3 View Post
Wife has been commuting about 90+ miles a day for the past 3 years and It is blowing up my tire budget. We have a 2006 330i Sport package and run flats are lasting about a year and a couple months. I am moving away from run flats this time around to see how it goes. Gonna get Michelin Pilot super sports. where can i get a donut style spare to put in the trunk or does any one know if this will work in a jam?

If you are going with a donut spare, don't forget you will also need a scissor jack and a lug wrench. Don't forget to show your wife the proper way to jack up a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 08:28 AM   #10
SmellyGreek
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue F22 M235i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by branmace View Post
^+1
I have to agree with asus389...Michelin PSS's are summer season tires and I thinks offer up to 30K miles warranty. I own a 06 330i w/sport package and staggered run flats and decided to get rid of them (averaging 70 miles a day, with a price tag for all 4 tires in $1200+ range...and the ride is very rough). I currently have Yokas Advants S4 on the rear, and Sports on the front w/winter set of wheels and tires for winter season...and love it. I haven't had a blow-out, yet, going on almost 3 years. I have had a few tire pressure warnings and I'm at the service center right away. I have heard of the "E90 Spare Kit" but it looks it is not more than a can of adhesive, air compressor, and that is all. It is not a spare tire. You can go with AutoZone's tire repair kit, too. However, because of my spare set of wheels and tires, when in need, I can use the spare in emergencies.

Did you even go to Bavauto and find that part? It is a donut, scissor jack, lug wrench and wheel chock.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 12:17 PM   #11
branmace
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

...thanks, I just did and it does the job. However, I only drive my car in the city and I don't commute long distance and if I have to secure the spare in the trunk than it defeats the purpose of using the trunk.

Plus, for less then the price on Bavauto, I got 2 winter tires w/wheels (from a set of 4) and lifetime limited warranty. I need this more than A/S tires, as in long winters and low temperatures A/S are worthless; i.e. you go through the thread very easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellyGreek View Post
Did you even go to Bavauto and find that part? It is a donut, scissor jack, lug wrench and wheel chock.
Appreciate 0