E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > headliner cleaning question HELP

03-14-2012, 09:05 PM   #1
335(EX)(EYE)
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 n54 & n55 / e46 330ci DD

headliner cleaning question HELP

hey everyboyd, i have the beige headliner. my girl is so messy. she got f$#% makeup on it AND wendys chocolate frosty. i dont want to wipe either one off cuz i dont want it to blead. what cleaner should i order or what can i use around the house??? PLEASE HELP!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 05:27 AM   #2
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Headliner- if there are areas where your head touches the ceiling you will probably notice that these areas accumulate dirt and the like because of the oils that come from your hair and your skin that are now on the headliner.

Vacuum the headliner making sure you apply pressure, but not too much. Not only can you set the stains in this way, you may tear what can be very fragile upholstery if you press too hard. Vacuum thoroughly to make sure that you get all of the loose dust fragments

Cleaning - Duragloss 451 Fabric & Carpet Cleaner Aerosol Foam (FC) is a blend of surfactants, which gently foam away soil, oil and grease from fabric and carpet surfaces. Spot cleaning can be done without leaving rings on fabrics, carpet and velour.

Use Dr Joe dedicated Lint-Free 100% Cotton Blue Huck Surgical Towels, using very light pressure and wipe the headliner following the cleaning with the water based cleaner (do not soak or use hot water on the headliner fabric as it may delaminate) Dry by blotting with a clean, dry surgical huck towel
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 07:39 AM   #3
335(EX)(EYE)
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post
Headliner- if there are areas where your head touches the ceiling you will probably notice that these areas accumulate dirt and the like because of the oils that come from your hair and your skin that are now on the headliner.

Vacuum the headliner making sure you apply pressure, but not too much. Not only can you set the stains in this way, you may tear what can be very fragile upholstery if you press too hard. Vacuum thoroughly to make sure that you get all of the loose dust fragments

Cleaning - Duragloss 451 Fabric & Carpet Cleaner Aerosol Foam (FC) is a blend of surfactants, which gently foam away soil, oil and grease from fabric and carpet surfaces. Spot cleaning can be done without leaving rings on fabrics, carpet and velour.

Use Dr Joe dedicated Lint-Free 100% Cotton Blue Huck Surgical Towels, using very light pressure and wipe the headliner following the cleaning with the water based cleaner (do not soak or use hot water on the headliner fabric as it may delaminate) Dry by blotting with a clean, dry surgical huck towel
so this will get chocoalte out? where do i purchase?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 10:21 AM   #4
Ryballz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d

Another option is to mix woolite (the same little white bottle our wives use for who knows what) and water. Dilute it to 10:1 or even less.
Put it in a spray bottle and use it like you would any other cleaner.
Works on carpet, fabric and even leather.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 11:18 AM   #5
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Either of the above processes work, DG is good stuff but hard to source, Woolite is everywhere. One thing though, well actually a couple:

Do not saturate. spray lightly and if more is needed clean subsequent times if using a water based product;
Dab and pinch, do not rub. By rubbing you will alter the nap of the fabric and it will be noticeable especially over time.

Better yet have your girl do it while you watch, they're like kids you need to reinforce things constantly.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 11:23 AM   #6
335(EX)(EYE)
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
Either of the above processes work, DG is good stuff but hard to source, Woolite is everywhere. One thing though, well actually a couple:

Do not saturate. spray lightly and if more is needed clean subsequent times if using a water based product;
Dab and pinch, do not rub. By rubbing you will alter the nap of the fabric and it will be noticeable especially over time.

Better yet have your girl do it while you watch, they're like kids you need to reinforce things constantly.
thanks guys. what the heck is woolite? il search it nvm...so what is the BEST thing to do...i havent eaven touched it..its like a mound of glob dried chocalote protruding out like a pimple. wtf! ima smacka ho
Appreciate 0