E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > where to get custom internals?

03-14-2012, 02:37 PM   #1
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i

where to get custom internals?

Planning on going old skool and building the motor! Now who makes custom pistons and cams and what not? I heard that the compression has to be almost the same and I was nervous about installing mopar pistons and rods. Aparently the old chargers could work too even tho its a V8. Any idea where to get these items done at?
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 02:59 PM   #2
CombatNinja
Banned
Rep
Drives: e91 328i, e90 328i, e90 335i

Ummmmmm, okay. Custom internals are in aisle 5, right next to the headers. If you see the superchargers, you went too far.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 03:19 PM   #3
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatNinja View Post
Ummmmmm, okay. Custom internals are in aisle 5, right next to the headers. If you see the superchargers, you went too far.
Damnit the clerk told me it was in aisle 4! But seriously tho, if a single cam can have aftermarket internals, why can't we? Maybe I shoulld have said aftermakret.. anywho, throwing on the bolt on basics seems boring af and too much money for little gains. The supercharger is nice but I wanna make some true hp
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 03:28 PM   #4
RnmEvo9
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

If you want to make some true hp, you would sell your car and get something else.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 03:30 PM   #5
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

The N54 has forged crankshaft, pistons and con rods. I'm not sure if the parts are a direct swap to an N52 but that'd be one way to do it. I don't know of any aftermarket company that produces forged internals for these cars except for VAC.

You'll spend thousands on all of the bolt-ons you could potentially buy and maybe see 20hp from them. Not worth it IMO, and no need for forged internals unless you go FI.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 04:54 PM   #6
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Nothing else handles like a bimmer. And I'm not gonna downgrade to a older year or get a 335 with cash I don't have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RnmEvo9 View Post
If you want to make some true hp, you would sell your car and get something else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
The N54 has forged crankshaft, pistons and con rods. I'm not sure if the parts are a direct swap to an N52 but that'd be one way to do it. I don't know of any aftermarket company that produces forged internals for these cars except for VAC.

You'll spend thousands on all of the bolt-ons you could potentially buy and maybe see 20hp from them. Not worth it IMO, and no need for forged internals unless you go FI.
What's FI? And I was thinking that early because I wanted to change the compression a bit and micro port and polish the block. I've seen a few all motor monsters destroy heavily boosted supras and other cars with nos with no sweat. I wanna be legit without being too outta the box. What happend to the tuning world were you can't even change simple things as cams and pistons?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 05:34 PM   #7
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Freak Beast

It has been said that the cams we have are already the best they can be. Theyre light (hollow), strong, and an aggressive and optimum profile.

Personaly think a stroked N52 is the way to go. There are a few compani9es that make a kit but it is upwards of $10-12k

Gets you like a 3.2 or so liter car, but over 300 HP and probably sounds nasty.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 06:17 PM   #8
jc5988
Captain
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i 6MT

go M3 V8!!! lots of "stock" parts and more power!!!
      03-14-2012, 06:30 PM   #9
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi29 View Post
What's FI? And I was thinking that early because I wanted to change the compression a bit and micro port and polish the block. I've seen a few all motor monsters destroy heavily boosted supras and other cars with nos with no sweat. I wanna be legit without being too outta the box. What happend to the tuning world were you can't even change simple things as cams and pistons?
FI is forced induction. Really the only problem with building the engine is that the N52 is pretty good already. As a result you don't see much aftermarket support for things like forged internals and what there is, you spend so much money for such minor gains. If you want big power then Im afraid there are better engines.

Last edited by PINeely; 03-14-2012 at 06:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 07:27 PM   #10
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydever View Post
It has been said that the cams we have are already the best they can be. Theyre light (hollow), strong, and an aggressive and optimum profile.

Personaly think a stroked N52 is the way to go. There are a few compani9es that make a kit but it is upwards of $10-12k

Gets you like a 3.2 or so liter car, but over 300 HP and probably sounds nasty.
Damn that's a lot of stroking and money, will our pistons be able to fill that voided gap after stroking it? I was looking for pistons in the first place and the old e46 pistons seemed to do it being that its already 3.2 any thoughts? And how would it sound nasty?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5988 View Post
go M3 V8!!! lots of "stock" parts and more power!!!
Lol I was planning on it later on but I wanna beef the n52 up and see how good it gets, if I can stroke it and make it spank on a m3, id rather keep the n52 and some money cuz the motor alone is expensive not to mention the new tranny, new wiring harnesses and I also have to weld on a m3 rear end to compensate for the powering being made and the cost of having someone install it. But nice idea tho
Quote:
FI is forced induction. Really the only problem with building the engine is that the N52 is pretty good already. As a result you don't see much aftermarket support for things like forged internals and what there is, you spend so much money for such minor gains. If you want big power then Im afraid there are better engines.
True, but I wanna see how much I was whip out before the motor gives out but ill keep your words in mind, thanks for the insight
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 07:51 PM   #11
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep

http://www.noellemotors.de/BMW_3_series_E90.219.0.html

You basically replace all the internals. The rods are probably different lengths, different crankshaft profile. Basically increasing the stroke of the engine and increasind displacement while maintaing a high Compression ratio.

I say it would sound nasty because I think it would have a bubbly angry sound if stroked. You tube some stroked motors.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 07:53 PM   #12
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep

3.2l engine (basis BMW N52 B30)

for the following BMW models:
BMW E87 130i
BMW E90 330i saloon, touring
BMW E60 530i saloon, touring
BMW E63 630i coupé
BMW X3 3.0
BMW X5 3.0
BMW Z4 roadster, coupé
manual and automatic gearbox
modifications to standard engine / scope of delivery:
1 crankshaft
6 pistons
6 connecting rods
2 catalyst pipes
1 end silencer
technical engine dates:
cylinders
bore
85,00 mm
stroke
93,00 mm
effective capacity
3165 ccm
compression ratio

engine power:
max. HP
306 HP/6700 min-1
(BMW 330i series
258HP/6600 min-1)
max. torque
347 Nm/2900 min-1
(BMW 330i series
300 Nm/2500 min-1)
(The engine has
to be factory standard)

maximum speed:
all cars plus 29 km/h in comparison to series
print version:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 09:10 PM   #13
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

No prob, personally I think that it's awesome that you are looking into this because this is the kind of tuning that I love.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 09:25 PM   #14
_Ryan_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E87 130i

Garage List
2005 BMW 130i  [5.24]
As much as I love building stupid motors, it will be more cost effective and nicer to drive if you do an S65 conversion.

Also gives you a good basis for further power, I know I get bored easily...
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 10:20 PM   #15
mapleridge
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 N52 AT

Great convo going here guys. Don't have a clue what stroking a motor is but I will research it after this. Main problem with AT it seems though is the inability to take a lot of extra HP. How, if at all, could the AT be upgraded with the engine?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 10:41 PM   #16
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ryan_ View Post
As much as I love building stupid motors, it will be more cost effective and nicer to drive if you do an S65 conversion.

Also gives you a good basis for further power, I know I get bored easily...
True, but I wanna see how much the n52 can whip out, i d love to have a v8 but the cost of installing and getting everything new sounds too much for me, at least this way, the cops can't mess with me and I don't have to barr the motor to my car
Quote:
No prob, personally I think that it's awesome that you are looking into this because this is the kind of tuning that I love.
Hey, well most people now think,"oh ima throw a boost kit on and be fast." True but why not build this motor and then throw a boost kit later and be even faster than the last guy. Id love to say that I have a full built n52 with micro port and polish it seems like I can hold my head higher
Quote:
3.2l engine (basis BMW N52 B30)

for the following BMW models:
BMW E87 130i
BMW E90 330i saloon, touring
BMW E60 530i saloon, touring
BMW E63 630i coupé
BMW X3 3.0
BMW X5 3.0
BMW Z4 roadster, coupé
manual and automatic gearbox
modifications to standard engine / scope of delivery:
1 crankshaft
6 pistons
6 connecting rods
2 catalyst pipes
1 end silencer
technical engine dates:
cylinders
bore
85,00 mm
stroke
93,00 mm
effective capacity
3165 ccm
compression ratio

engine power:
max. HP
306 HP/6700 min-1
(BMW 330i series
258HP/6600 min-1)
max. torque
347 Nm/2900 min-1
(BMW 330i series
300 Nm/2500 min-1)
(The engine has
to be factory standard)

maximum speed:
all cars plus 29 km/h in comparison to series
print version:
Ooo those are some gorgeous numbers! But I have a 328 lci would it still be able to work? And what company does that?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 10:44 PM   #17
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleridge View Post
Great convo going here guys. Don't have a clue what stroking a motor is but I will research it after this. Main problem with AT it seems though is the inability to take a lot of extra HP. How, if at all, could the AT be upgraded with the engine?
Stroking the motor is creating a bigger bore for your pistons and for the AT, id say upgrade your diff. And possibly your gears. I'm not too sure if they make aftermarket gears though? Then again you could learn how to drive stick lol its a lot of fun and many more possiblities without lag
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 10:50 PM   #18
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep

Not to be an ass but you're wrong.

Stroking is increasing the stroke. Distance the piston travels. The bore stays the same
Hence the term "stroking"
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 12:42 AM   #19
mapleridge
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 N52 AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi29 View Post
Stroking the motor is creating a bigger bore for your pistons and for the AT, id say upgrade your diff. And possibly your gears. I'm not too sure if they make aftermarket gears though? Then again you could learn how to drive stick lol its a lot of fun and many more possiblities without lag
My first car was stick. I have an AT though. I'm hoping like the E36 crew we will be able to swap AT for MT at some point.

Quote:

Stroking is increasing the stroke. Distance the piston travels. The bore stays the same
How can the piston travel further? Is there additional room that is tapped with accompanying parts?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 12:44 AM   #20
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

You will end up spending far more building up a n/a motor than just getting a better platform to start with.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 01:38 AM   #21
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My first car was stick. I have an AT though. I'm hoping like the E36 crew we will be able to swap AT for MT at some point.

How can the piston travel further? Is there additional room that is tapped with accompanying parts?
The crankshaft is more aggressive so the piston moves further down into the block. This creates a longer stroke within the same engine block. Boring the block is different.

Different rods, crank, pistons.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 02:57 AM   #22
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Ohhhh that makes sense, and you're not being an ass, you're just correcting me. But how neccesarily could you change the travel and add more liter versus the opening the bore?
Quote:

Nicee, I love my car more that its a stick. Honestly so much more fun to drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorocious View Post
You will end up spending far more building up a n/a motor than just getting a better platform to start with.

Good luck.
Getting an NA wasn't my choice really. But id rather start from an error free lighter platform than a 335 and a m wasn't gonna work in the long run being as gas prices suck and oil isn't cheap either. But thanks for the support
Appreciate 0