ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-09-2007, 08:52 PM   #1
deviated
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0 Si

Beware of Las Vegas Highway 15's sand storms!

Just a friendly warning for those of you who live in California or in other states who like to drive to Las Vegas either in your beloved Z or in your other cars: never do it while there is even a minor sand storm or else be prepared to fork out $$ to replace your windshield.

I used to drive my Z to Vegas to visit my girlfriend evey month. Why did I stop driving and am now taking the bus instead? Well, the last time I drove there, there was a medium sand storm (where sand from the desert is picked up by the wind and blown across the road), blowing through the I-15 South, while my Z was mearly going about 75 miles/hr. After I got back from Vegas I noticed a bunch of particles on my windshield, which I thought was overspray from a body shop I parked my car next to once. WRONG! Next day, when I was driving at about 5pm where the sun glared heavily on my windshield, I notice hundreds of tiny dots on my windshield that were concaved. There were so many that they obstructed my vision when im driving while facing the sun. Good thing I am friend's with the shop they allowed me to use their account to order a new windshield for $270($319 retail) and only charge me 30 bucks to put it on.

I finally realized why the quality of cars in vegas is lower than Los Angeles. People don't take their high end vehicles to that city.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2007, 10:02 AM   #2
imz4n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 3,0 si TITANIUM SIlVER

Amen. Where in Cali do you hale from?
      06-10-2007, 10:12 AM   #3
AlanL
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 328ix Sports Wagon

I grew up in Phoenix and lots of the families in our neighborhood used to drive over to the Southern California coast for summer vacations. One year one of my neighbors got caught in a sandstorm on the stretch of road going through the Mojave Desert between Blythe and Indio and their car was almost completely sandblasted down to the bare metal on most of the sheet metal . They had pulled off the road given no visibility and when it was over the windshield was so pitted they couldn't drive the car.
      06-10-2007, 10:24 AM   #4
FloridaBoy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.oi

I live in Florida, we NEVER have to worry about sand storms.

Just congo lines of hurricanes, a few tornados, hail storms, tourist drivers... oh, and every once in a while one of the natives will cross the road:

Appreciate 0