E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > found an oil leak in 2 places - turbo oil pipe

03-13-2012, 01:56 PM   #1
jimmylad
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d sapphire black

found an oil leak in 2 places - turbo oil pipe

As per title.

Put the summer tyres back on today ( 2 winters worth of use on these nokians & look like they will last at least 5 more winters)

Anyway, had the bonnet up & took the engine cover off as there was a bit of oil last time I looked so having dried it all off it is now wet again with fresh oil. Found the culprit & new part ordered @ £23 delivered & looks aqn easy one to change ( for a change). It a "U" shaped oil pipe. Might be worth checking yours?? as this sits somewhat above the red charge pipe think this is the real culprit for my red pipe looking oily again. See pic.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 03:23 PM   #2
NotNormal
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A6 Avant 3.0TDi Quattro

I had mine replaced, it was the same as yours.
Your pipe will cost your aprox £25 for the dealer,and you can DIY fit or pay a competent mechanic

There was a guy in here I helped months ago, his dealer tried charging him allot of money as they said that the turbo set up needs to come off to get at the union behind the turbo. This isn't the case, it is accessible .... Just bend the heat shield back alittle or remove said heat shield then you can get at the union .... It is alittle fiddly but do-able never the less.

It took me less than 45 minsfrom start to finish

I hope this has / is of some use to you

Regards

Tom
      03-14-2012, 03:27 AM   #3
jimmylad
Lieutenant
England
Rep

cheers Tom.

Ordered the part off bmmini parts last night. Had a quick look & thought "I can do that"

As someone else has had this problem as well as me it could be worth others checking when the engine cover is off.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 12:37 PM   #4
NotNormal
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I also replaced all the vacuume piping around the engine bay too as it was starting to show signs of wear and perishing

Mainly the ones that run above the turbo set up, the heat weakens them.
Worth checking, prevention is better than letting the fail when you need it the least
      03-14-2012, 01:17 PM   #5
jimmylad
Lieutenant
England
Rep

Hopefully mine have all been done when the actuators were replaced. Stratstone handed me a bag with loads of titred looking vaccum pipes resembling spaghetti.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 10:31 AM   #6
jimmylad
Lieutenant
England
Rep

Actuators / pressure control valves/ vacuum control units not sure of the exact technical term but they are about 10 cms high x 4cmx4cm. They are black in colour, made of plastic and have 2 small pipes at the top to connect vacuum pipes too. No need to change turbos for this.

I had a nightmare start to my 335d career. All well for the 1st 2 months, had it chipped and all was well. Then car wouldn't start if left overnight but if you could start it woul be fine all day unless left over night. Took it to an indie who had it a week and couldn't start it then after a week I went to collect it with a view to towing it to the main dealer and it started. Cost £120 so far and no further on. On driving away from the indie the car had no power until 3k revs then it took off. Took it to straststone and told em it wouldn't start and now has no power. They called me next day to say it needs an ecu so 2 days later & £850 lighter it was ready. I asked if it was all ok and the power was ok and was told it was fine. Paid the 850 and went to drive off and it was obvious within 20 yards it still had no power low down. Went back in with the key, kicked up a fuss & the next day geta a call that it needed a new actuators that had to be fit as a pair and will cost £650 !!!

Get the car back and have all the bits handed to me in a bag & see that one of the pipes on top of the actuators was snapped off! Did the indie do that? It had no power when driving away from them or did they leave a pipe off by mistake & BMW decide that rather than just push the pipe on they would make out it has snapped off and can get some more money out of me. Who ever did it I will never no but I have spent £ £1620 to get it back on the road and was/ still is the most unreliable car I have ever had but to be fair to the car some of this was down to incompetence ( read on further)

4 days later the Dpf light is coming on and won't go away. Can't force a regen so realizing another huge bill is on the horizon I decide to get the dpf removed and put a straight through pipe on from Eco tune (£350) and when we took the dpf out we found out that stratstone have left a sensor off the dpf!!! Bloody great. How much more fucked up can things get and no one is interested. The indie denied breaking the actuator, startstone denied leaving the sensor off ( having looked at the fault code for the dpf it was evident that it was done in their care due to the mileage reading on the fault code and the start stone receipt)

1 month later we get all that snow ( 18 months ago) so winter tyres, and alloys bought at a cost of a grand. Was going right of bmw's at this point.

Had the car remap put back on and the dpf deleted from cars ecu and 18 months later all is well. No more dealer visits for me & I will do what I can now cos I don't trust garages anymore.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 02:44 PM   #7
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Nonormal - is there any chance you can give me some more details on how to replace the vacuum hoses? what type I need (was thinking silicone?)
My car has done 104k miles now and I think one of the actuactors is on its way out (long story but I dont think the previous indi did a good job)

I would like to replace the actuators myself, quite competant but not too sure what I need to take off and how easy they are to replace?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 06:39 PM   #8
NotNormal
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I'll check on Monday, and get back to you - but off the top of my head it's 4mm rubber vacuum hose with the same fabric outer sheathing as factory

I didn't bother with the silicone alternative, I wanted something with a little more substance on the outside for better protection

It's an awkward fiddley job, but straight forward enough. The only thing that would make it easier which I didn't do was remove the inlet manifold to replace the pipes around the pressure converter valves....I used long nose grips and skinny fingers lol
      06-23-2012, 02:43 AM   #9
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Thanks, that will be great. do you have a link as to where you got the pipes from?
The only reason why I am thinking silicone ones is because they maybe resitant to high temps?
Appreciate 0