2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs Carbon Black Paint -- appear to have "winter" Salt spot stains on Clearcoat.

03-11-2012, 09:26 PM   #1
DUKEY
Rep
Drives: 2012 535 XDrive

Carbon Black Paint -- appear to have "winter" Salt spot stains on Clearcoat.

What can be done to remove these salt spots that appear as very small stain marks on the Clearcoat?? My 2012 CARBON BLACK 535 is only 4 months old. There has to be something out in the market to easily remove them.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 11:12 PM   #2
HouseofPang
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

Pics?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 11:27 PM   #3
DUKEY
Rep

I will try and post one, however they will probably be very hard to see and pick up with a camera. They look like dried (hard) water spots. Almost as if you washed your car and just let it air dry --- basically the exact same appearance. The car is perfectly clean. I just washed it today -- dried it of course with a chamois and as I was drying it I coud see the spots as if they were there from previously. They are faint of course, but nonetheless they are still visible basically all over. AGAIN --- just as if the car air dried.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 11:32 PM   #4
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKEY View Post
I will try and post one, however they will probably be very hard to see and pick up with a camera. They look like dried (hard) water spots. Almost as if you washed your car and just let it air dry --- basically the exact same appearance. The car is perfectly clean. I just washed it today -- dried it of course with a chamois and as I was drying it I coud see the spots as if they were there from previously. They are faint of course, but nonetheless they are still visible basically all over. AGAIN --- just as if the car air dried.
if you are new to paint care, this is a good place to start. If it seems like too much work a professional detailer is in order. The car probably needs to be clayed and polished professionally. You can do it yourself if you have the correct tools.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...-Cycle-Updated!
      03-13-2012, 04:06 AM   #5
saurabh_turingMS
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1M AW (F10 520D MSport - gone)

It's just calcium/limescale deposits from the water, try using Duragloss #505 WSR after washing.
If it's really etched in to the paint you'll need to cut polish, hopefully 2or3 goes should do it. A good wax or nano sealant will also help it from recurring.

Great colour choice ;-)
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 09:45 PM   #6
DUKEY
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sverma
It's just calcium/limescale deposits from the water, try using Duragloss #505 WSR after washing.
If it's really etched in to the paint you'll need to cut polish, hopefully 2or3 goes should do it. A good wax or nano sealant will also help it from recurring.

Great colour choice ;-)
Thank you for the feedback/ideas -- I will try it and let you know what happens. I hope it works.
Appreciate 0