E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Mid-detail Feedback Please! (First Time)

03-05-2012, 10:53 PM   #1
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 15 S3

Mid-detail Feedback Please! (First Time)

I just started detailing my jet black 330i. The paint is in terrible shape with numerous chips and several deep scratches (car has 113k miles and has never been detailed to my knowledge). I've fully prepped by washing, claying (extensively), and taping.

Most of the heavy damage was on the front bumper and hood. I've replaced the front bumper with a nearly new one, and will likely replace the hood in the near future as well, so I'm not terribly worried about getting all the chips filled and scratches out. I also won't be devastated if I burn through the clear (on the hood), though I'd obviously prefer not to.

I started working on a test area on the hood. I started with SIP on orange, saw little results in some of the deeper scratches, so I switched to wool. After about 10 minutes and still no result on many of the scratches, I moved to Power Gloss on orange. After about 20 passes and medium pressure (to light towards the end), speed 5, I saw results. Scratches were gone, though some small chips in the clear remained. My test area included a small patch of deep scratches (where someone apparently tried to scratch away something on the surface with a key), and these were significantly reduced. I followed up with SIP on orange with 12-15 passes and finally PO85RD on black for another 10-12 passes and lower speed/lighter pressure. I'm happy with the results, but would prefer to have some of the remaining chips and key scratches gone, though I'm afraid of removing too much clear.

Questions:

1) Can I keep working the power gloss? It's obviously difficult to judge without a paint gauge, but given everything I've said and photos below, what do you think? Additional work with the power gloss will, I believe, remove nearly all small chips and level the few deep scratches, at least on the hood (only one other small area on the car requires the same sort of attention)

2) Is there anything wrong with going from SIP on orange straight to PO85RD on black? I originally planned an intermediate polish (PO203 on white) but from my results, can't see how an intermediate would help.

Below are 3 photos: before, after, and 50/50 (with the area of the deep scratches I mentioned above).

Name:  IMG_2725 copy.JPG
Views: 268
Size:  120.4 KB

Name:  IMG_2726 copy.JPG
Views: 267
Size:  113.8 KB

Name:  IMG_2729 copy.JPG
Views: 238
Size:  129.7 KB

Last edited by yakev724; 03-05-2012 at 11:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 11:04 PM   #2
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

there is no way to tell how much clear/paint you have WITHOUT a PTG, so those pictures are useless in that regard. You cant eyeball it and say "you have X amount of clear left, go for it"...it doesnt work that way

that last pic, that a repaint for sure! But I think you said its going to be replaced, so I wouldnt worry about it

SIP/orange to 85rd/black is a pretty big jump, BUT if the paint is harder, you can get away with it. Your jet black doesnt fall into that category, so I would actually do the 203/white, or 85rd/white, then 85rd/black. More level, more clear paint!

I would take your hood, that you are going to be replacing anyway, and practice on that with different combos and TRY to burn it. That way you will be able to tell for yourself what it feels like and what to lookout for in the future.

oh, and get some 105 instead of powergloss. PG doesnt work all that well in comparison with the PC. Rotary, it seems to be more aggressive than 105, but leaves a much hazier finish, especially on jet black paints. Actually, I would get the megs MF system for JB
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 11:14 PM   #3
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 15 S3

Thanks. I think I won't go deeper into the clear (again, don't need to come close to this on any of the other panels). Maybe I'll experiment once I have a replacement hood (should have kept the old bumpers to get comfortable with).

Could you elaborate on the benefit of a step between the SIP and 85rd? It would level out the clear after SIP? Is this noticeable? I don't see any hazing/marring after 85rd (2nd photo)
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 11:53 PM   #4
Martin_D
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ford Super Duty

He is saying the jump between SIP and 85RD is too drastic. A middle step is needed to finish down the paint properly. If you are comfortable with these go SIP/Orange 85rd/White then 85rd/Black. Think of climbing down a ladder, you can't skip any "steps"...

-Martin
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 07:28 AM   #5
bigaizsosexy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90, 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_D View Post
He is saying the jump between SIP and 85RD is too drastic. A middle step is needed to finish down the paint properly. If you are comfortable with these go SIP/Orange 85rd/White then 85rd/Black. Think of climbing down a ladder, you can't skip any "steps"...

-Martin
Those RIDS are quite deep and I think using a DA will only lighten them a bit.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 07:30 AM   #6
bigaizsosexy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90, 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious Eric View Post
there is no way to tell how much clear/paint you have WITHOUT a PTG, so those pictures are useless in that regard. You cant eyeball it and say "you have X amount of clear left, go for it"...it doesnt work that way

that last pic, that a repaint for sure! But I think you said its going to be replaced, so I wouldnt worry about it

SIP/orange to 85rd/black is a pretty big jump, BUT if the paint is harder, you can get away with it. Your jet black doesnt fall into that category, so I would actually do the 203/white, or 85rd/white, then 85rd/black. More level, more clear paint!

I would take your hood, that you are going to be replacing anyway, and practice on that with different combos and TRY to burn it. That way you will be able to tell for yourself what it feels like and what to lookout for in the future.

oh, and get some 105 instead of powergloss. PG doesnt work all that well in comparison with the PC. Rotary, it seems to be more aggressive than 105, but leaves a much hazier finish, especially on jet black paints. Actually, I would get the megs MF system for JB

I agree with you on Menzernas power gloss...it does not do it for me like 105 does, but I hate the dusting!!! I would use 105, Power finish and a Super Finish....LSP'S
Appreciate 0