E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 335i JB4 and Meth Review

03-03-2012, 08:20 AM   #1
phil200tdi
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport E90 LCI manual

335i JB4 and Meth Review

As I am laid up with an injured knee (cartilage damage and on crutches), I thought I'd write a quick update on the meth kit which I installed last weekend. The meth kit in question is the BMS WW Kit which is sold by Burger Motorsport and is fully integrates with their JB4 piggyback tune. more details on the kit can be found here:

http://burgertuning.com/meth.html

The install went according to plan and took around 3-4 hours. The instructions were ok at best but it came clear after thinking it through a few times. Wiring in the JB4 was easy enough.

The main problems encountered were in fitting the meth elbow - or more accurately removing the old rubber hose to fit the elbow. This hose is held to the charge pipe by a permanent metal band rather than a hose clip. Hence to remove the rubber hose I had to remove the air intake (Dual Cones in my case), remove the diverter valves, and remove the charge pipe. At first I thought the clip would need to be cut off using a dremel, fortunately I was able to break the join underneath using a screwdriver and hence didnt damage the chargepipe or the rubber hose - great as I will refit this when reverting to stock. Another annoying issue I came across was in trying to calibrate the meth pump, this requires a 1/16" allen key (the smallest one), the only one I had came from a cheap Chinese toolkit and wasnt perfectly sized - luckily my neighbour is a mechanic and had one close to hand but I had to wait a few hours for this rather than finishing the job early.

The setup of the JB4 is easy, merely connecting the laptop as usual and in the meth tab setting the meth flow scaling and meth additive. These allow the JB4 to progressively control the meth flow based on revs and boost. I set everything up using the standard settings proposed in the install guide for 93Octane (98RON) - I think this targets 17-18psi in the mid range but could be wrong.

I deliberately ran my windscreen washer fluid to empty so as to fill up with 50:50 meth/water. I bought the Meth and deionised water from Bonnymans in 25litre drums. I also bought a cheap hand pump off ebay which is great for filling an old 5 litre windscreen fluid bottle. 50:50 meth to water ratio is by weight and not by volume, hence for 5 litres I am running 2.85 litres of meth to 2.15 litres of water. Bleeding the air from the system was easy - activating the pump with the meth line in a container - I used a 500ml coke bottle which worked a treat.

So how does meth work? This video really helped me out:

Now that everything was in and working, time for a drive... Given that I had also just changed the spark plugs I wanted to get everything warmed up fully and working before using meth. I had previously had misfiring issues which i was keen to ensure had been rectified using map 2 - everything seemed fine - in fact more than fine, map 2 seemed to be much stronger than before as has been reported by other JB4 users updating to the new firmware.

When fully happy that the car was running strong I switched to map 3 and set guage hijacking (boost on fuel and meth flow on oil). Slowly pulled out in first, short changed to second and nailed it. Cue two black lines of rubber! Into third and the thing really striking me was the torque and just how quickly I was needing to reach for the next gear. My car when healthy was no slouch (0-100 in 10.18) but it seemed to now be on a whole new level - perhaps even a second faster to 100!!! I haven't managed to do any dynolicious timing yet and due to my injured knee cant see this happening soon, but it has made a huge difference in the few days I have driven it. The way that the boost and meth comes in is very linear and progressive, there is no massive lag or kick in the back, just a wave of torque which gets bigger and bigger and bigger. Grip is now more of an issue than ever, the car squats in 3rd like it would in 2nd ordinarily, 4th pulls as hard as 3rd too, its quite disorientating and I got caught out thinking I was at the top of 3rd but actually top of 4th gear --- Oops!! (Private road of course ). It may be a placebo but it seems to sound louder too when really nailing it - time will tell.

Suffice it to say I am extremely satified with the system, I would guess that if you say stage 1 adds 60 hp, stage 2 (dps and FMIC) adds 50hp more I would say I got similar gains again - well circa 40hp...!! its also good to know that everytime I boot it my engine is getting a steam clean!

I'll try to get on a dyno soon to compare map 2 with map 3 (dyno day anyone???).. I'll also do some logging and ask terry for a custom map 6 with meth integration - there is more to come!

As ever big thanks to Neil@juiceduptuning for arranging the group buy and being a pleasure to deal with.

Anyone who needs advice on this can send me a pm - cant promise to be an expert but will help out if I can...

Last edited by phil200tdi; 03-03-2012 at 08:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 12:11 PM   #2
Josh1a1h
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AzuriteBlack 335i E92

Nice write up!

This will something I will def look at.

how was also going to go for the washer fluid install.
Do you know roughly how long or how many pulls the 5l washer tank lasts?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 12:22 PM   #3
phil200tdi
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I need to work this out too. I've read conflicting reports of it pumping 100ml/min and 300ml/min... Probably somewhere in between.
      03-03-2012, 06:00 PM   #4
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

So how do you clean the windows now?
      03-03-2012, 06:51 PM   #5
mike3_
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i

Clean the windows the same as before. Most washer fluids contain methanol.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 02:41 AM   #6
phil200tdi
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

50:50 is fine on windows and very safe - non flammable. In the states some people just run low temp windscreen washer fluid which has 30-40% meth content...

People running 70:30 or higher concentrations are told to block off the windscreen washer jets as it may damage the paint.
      03-04-2012, 02:51 AM   #7
phil200tdi
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1bjr
So how do you clean the windows now?
In practice you tap into the windscreen washer fluid line with a tee connector hence splitting the fluid flow. To stop air seeping into the system there is also a one way valve placed closer to the washer jets.

Washers work exactly as they did before.
      03-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #8
neil@JuicedUpTuning
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil200tdi View Post
As ever big thanks to Neil@juiceduptuning for arranging the group buy and being a pleasure to deal with.
Thanks for the business Phil

Sorry to hear about the injury!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 03:27 PM   #9
neil@JuicedUpTuning
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

BTW: I have a small number of BMS WW Meth kits in stock ready for delivery!!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 05:09 AM   #10
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
In practice you tap into the windscreen washer fluid line with a tee connector hence splitting the fluid flow. To stop air seeping into the system there is also a one way valve placed closer to the washer jets.

Washers work exactly as they did before.
Sounds awesome Phil! You're blazing a trail for 335i tuning in the UK!

I thought the BMS WW kit had a pickup hose you dunked in the washer bottle filler neck?

Is that not how it works now?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 05:22 AM   #11
phil200tdi
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Sounds awesome Phil! You're blazing a trail for 335i tuning in the UK!

I thought the BMS WW kit had a pickup hose you dunked in the washer bottle filler neck?

Is that not how it works now?

I thought that too, but this way is much more stealthy! I think the pickup hose version is for the 135i???

I am going to buy some black flexible wiring conduit to make it all tidy and look almost OEM! This is similar to how mine looks currently except an N54 and with DCIs:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 05:28 AM   #12
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

So the meth pump (obviously self priming) draws the fluid through the static washer pump rotor? (thus the need for a check valve before the washer nozzle)

Is there some kind of solenoid valve on the high pressure meth line, or is it controlled just by the pump on its own?

Getting curious, love the DIY nature of this!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 06:03 AM   #13
phil200tdi
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Yes there is a solenoid valve which connects to the JB4 power wire and FSB, this is what allows progressive control of meth flow by the JB4. It is really rather clever!

Although I made the install sound complicated, it isnt really. The instructions could probably be a little better structured but are easy enough to follow...

You can see the solenoid hanging from the pump in this photo oh and here is a teaser dyno graph showing Wheel Horse Power and Wheel Torque!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 06:04 AM   #14
phil200tdi
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Yes that is 500lb/ft of torque at the wheels!! Who needs a 335d!

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 08:42 AM   #15
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 335i

Nice work phil

My RB turbos are arriving today and installation will be done next week and then I'll fit my meth kit

Phil have you got an LSD?? You're definitely going to need one now!!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 08:52 AM   #16
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by idnan View Post
Nice work phil

My RB turbos are arriving today and installation will be done next week and then I'll fit my meth kit
Cool, someone else with the RB turbos! Where do you have them installed? Do you intend on going to the 'Ring this year?

Alpina_B3_Lux
      03-05-2012, 08:58 AM   #17
phil200tdi
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnan
Nice work phil

Phil have you got an LSD?? You're definitely going to need one now!!
No LSD but I'm increasingly thinking that it is necessary, just don't want to drop £2k on it right now. If one comes up for a reasonable price and I can get away with it then that's another story!

I can't wait to see the numbers you are pushing with RB turbos and meth.
      03-05-2012, 09:06 AM   #18
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux View Post
Cool, someone else with the RB turbos! Where do you have them installed? Do you intend on going to the 'Ring this year?

Alpina_B3_Lux
Cool, I'm eager to see your review of them.

I'm getting them installed at Darren Wood in Manchester next Wednesday and will be picking it up on the Saturday. I was planning on going to the 'Ring later on in the year but in my e36 328i track car. Although I'm in two minds whether to keep that when it is finished or sell it and use the e92.

Did you get the installation problem sorted? IIRC you had a water leak.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 09:09 AM   #19
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
No LSD but I'm increasingly thinking that it is necessary, just don't want to drop £2k on it right now. If one comes up for a reasonable price and I can get away with it then that's another story!

I'm see you've got a manual so it's a welded crownwheel on yours as well. I'm waiting a month or two myself to get the diff as I want to do the ARBs and the shocks/springs at the same time.

Cheers, can't wait myself
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 09:21 AM   #20
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:

I can really tell you from my own experience that an LSD is an excellent investment, in particular for such a highly modded car as yours with that mountain of torque. I enjoy mine every day and in particular now with the RBs the DSC would probably play christmas tree every three seconds if I didn't have one. It's expensive for sure (also not easy to install), but well worth it.

Quote:
Cool, I'm eager to see your review of them.

I'm getting them installed at Darren Wood in Manchester next Wednesday and will be picking it up on the Saturday. I was planning on going to the 'Ring later on in the year but in my e36 328i track car. Although I'm in two minds whether to keep that when it is finished or sell it and use the e92.

Did you get the installation problem sorted? IIRC you had a water leak.
Yeah, it took a week longer and cost a ***load of cash, but it seems to be all sorted now. One of the turbos was defective (a section of the water line connection had broken off) and had to be replaced, but Rob Beck was fantastic and shipped one over from the US within three days.

I had two additional problems though: My mechanic forgot to reconnect the evaporative solenoid (see my thread in the US section) which gave me the 2A19 error code, and the vanos solenoids gave me a limp mode and so I had them replaced as well. Was all done today, so now the car should be ready to rumble. I'm currently testing a COBB stage 3 pump map, and a methanol map will also be made available to me within short. But right now it's snowing again, so I couldn't test or datalog anything anyway. Car feels great though, I'm sure you'll enjoy the upgrade!

Alpina_B3_Lux

P.S. Would be great if you came to one of the two 'Ring track days, in particular with your E92!
      03-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #21
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux View Post

Yeah, it took a week longer and cost a ***load of cash, but it seems to be all sorted now. One of the turbos was defective (a section of the water line connection had broken off) and had to be replaced, but Rob Beck was fantastic and shipped one over from the US within three days.

I had two additional problems though: My mechanic forgot to reconnect the evaporative solenoid (see my thread in the US section) which gave me the 2A19 error code, and the vanos solenoids gave me a limp mode and so I had them replaced as well. Was all done today, so now the car should be ready to rumble. I'm currently testing a COBB stage 3 pump map, and a methanol map will also be made available to me within short. But right now it's snowing again, so I couldn't test or datalog anything anyway. Car feels great though, I'm sure you'll enjoy the upgrade!

Alpina_B3_Lux

P.S. Would be great if you came to one of the two 'Ring track days, in particular with your E92!
Just got the call from home and my turbos have arrived!!!

Bad news about your error codes. I'm having my clutch, DMF, HPFP and water pump + thermostat changed at the same time as my car has passed 75k and I wouldn't want either of those issues crop up soon.

As said, I can't wait to hear what you think of them, I know I will be happy with them. Rob has been fantastic and has given me many updates as I've been a bit unpatient due to an oil seal leak on my old turbos.

I'm thinking of doing one trip first in the e36 and then if I can muster the courage, another one in the e92. I really want to visit Spa as well because it's one of my favourite tracks.

Are you using Fuchs Pro Race 5w40 in your car?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 09:54 AM   #22
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Just got the call from home and my turbos have arrived!!!

Bad news about your error codes. I'm having my clutch, DMF, HPFP and water pump + thermostat changed at the same time as my car has passed 75k and I wouldn't want either of those issues crop up soon.

As said, I can't wait to hear what you think of them, I know I will be happy with them. Rob has been fantastic and has given me many updates as I've been a bit unpatient due to an oil seal leak on my old turbos.

I'm thinking of doing one trip first in the e36 and then if I can muster the courage, another one in the e92. I really want to visit Spa as well because it's one of my favourite tracks.

Are you using Fuchs Pro Race 5w40 in your car?
Spa is also on my list for this year, I hope I will get around to trying it out too. The 'Ring on the other hand is legendary, if you're a petrolhead you need to drive there. If you're doing a track day I would even say you're safer in the E92 as I've seen some older BMWs without sophisticated DSC sailing into the armco. Insurance is mandatory in any case...

And yes, I'm using Fuchs Titan Race Pro S 5W/40 now. I've also changed the diff and transmission oil, both with Fuchs oils.

What clutch are you going for? I've installed the ClutchMasters FX300 and it seems fine so far, but I'm still in the break-in phase. For the RBs you will need something beefier than the stock clutch IMO.

Alpina_B3_Lux

P.S. @Phil: I hope you don't mind the slightly OT discussion...