F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > Planning European Delivery - HELP
Studio RSR

02-29-2012, 10:01 PM   #1
wdlv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M Sport

Lightbulb Planning European Delivery - HELP

Hello fellow members,

I have an appointment coming up this friday and will be ordering my F30 vehicle. I intend on doing a European Delivery and was hoping to get some insight from members who have already picked up or will be picking up shortly.

1. Planning/Flight–I know roughly when I'd like to pick up the vehicle but more importantly, I'd like to plan the trip for me and my girlfriend. Is there anything specific you need to do when purchasing a flight from Lufthansa? How do you get the companion fare compensated?

2. Dropping off the vehicle–as far as I know you need to return the vehicle anywhere there is a major harbor (I think there's a list somewhere). I also know that if you return in Italy it apparently takes longer. I'm thinking of returning in Amsterdam (any members drop off there)?

3. Pick Up-What happens at pick up?

Well, I hope someone can lend a helping hand. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks, in advance.

**Lastly, when you purchase and declare that you want a European Delivery, do you get a special information packet? Just wondering.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 10:39 PM   #2
gator15
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdlv View Post
Hello fellow members,

I have an appointment coming up this friday and will be ordering my F30 vehicle. I intend on doing a European Delivery and was hoping to get some insight from members who have already picked up or will be picking up shortly.

1. Planning/Flight–I know roughly when I'd like to pick up the vehicle but more importantly, I'd like to plan the trip for me and my girlfriend. Is there anything specific you need to do when purchasing a flight from Lufthansa? How do you get the companion fare compensated?

2. Dropping off the vehicle–as far as I know you need to return the vehicle anywhere there is a major harbor (I think there's a list somewhere). I also know that if you return in Italy it apparently takes longer. I'm thinking of returning in Amsterdam (any members drop off there)?

3. Pick Up-What happens at pick up?

Well, I hope someone can lend a helping hand. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks, in advance.

**Lastly, when you purchase and declare that you want a European Delivery, do you get a special information packet? Just wondering.
About a week after you place your order and receive a production number, you will receive a package from BMWNA with all of this information. It will include information on how to book your flights with Lufthansa, where you can drop off the vehicle in Europe and every other possible question you may have. At drop off (except in Italy), you simply return the vehicle washed (with no dirt or bugs), fill out your paperwork and you are on your way. If dropping off in Italy, for an additional fee, there is a company that will drive your vehicle back to Munich for drop off.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 11:05 PM   #3
shoptb
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G01 X3 m40i

Quote:
Don't feel like you're stuck with Lufthansa's BMW deal either. I definitely prefer to fly Lufthansa across the pond to Germany. However, the BMW "companion flies free" deal requires that you buy a full-fare economy-class ticket (Y). Recently, you can get TWO discount economy-class tickets on Lufthansa from discount sites like Expedia, Kayak, or even directly from lufthansa-usa.com for less than a single full-fare economy-class ticket from the US to München. Just remember to shop around...there's no commitment as to how you travel there.
      03-01-2012, 12:22 AM   #4
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoptb View Post
requires that you buy a full-fare economy-class ticket (Y)
at the other hand, if the cost is about the same, it might be good to get a full-fare as you usually have less restrictions on your ticket, such as cancellation/change policies (well, that is of course in normal situations, I don't know for sure how it is with the free companion).

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 07:47 AM   #5
shoptb
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G01 X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by svache View Post
at the other hand, if the cost is about the same, it might be good to get a full-fare as you usually have less restrictions on your ticket, such as cancellation/change policies (well, that is of course in normal situations, I don't know for sure how it is with the free companion).
You have a point, however, keep in mind that full-fare economy class tickets are typically more expensive than business class tickets that you would buy on Expedia, etc. I just searched from MIA to MUC on Lufthansa in May, and a full-fare economy-class ticket was over $4000 per person , as opposed to a standard, discounted economy-class ticket for about $1000 per person. Business class tickets were $2500 per person. Fare rules are complex, so be sure and check the fine print.
      03-01-2012, 01:45 PM   #6
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoptb View Post
You have a point, however, keep in mind that full-fare economy class tickets are typically more expensive than business class tickets that you would buy on Expedia, etc. I just searched from MIA to MUC on Lufthansa in May, and a full-fare economy-class ticket was over $4000 per person , as opposed to a standard, discounted economy-class ticket for about $1000 per person. Business class tickets were $2500 per person. Fare rules are complex, so be sure and check the fine print.
You're right about that, and in such situation I wouldn't go for the full fare either. That's why it is so important to shop around and see all costs included to all fares, plus if one is certain (s)he is going to be available and fly that day then there is no need for cancellation

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 08:41 PM   #7
wdlv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thank you for all the advise, that's why I was asking. It's so confusing with the Economy class (Y), I thought I saw that the class had to be (Q). I don't know what the codes are but I'll figure it out. If not I just won't fly
Lufthansa.

Anybody with prior experience out there? I'm ordering the car tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 08:55 PM   #8
volsfan0911
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI

the down & dirty version

http://www.air-ticket.us/info/airlin...breviation.php

The full fare economy can get really pricey, yes. I subscribe to First Class Flier - you might want to check out a free trial issue since they have some great 'swap' tables for various carriers. For example, a business class seat from IAD to MUC might run $2,500 or you can get a discounted fare economy seat from $1,200 then buy 25,000 miles from United @ $300 and upgrade yourself for a lot less. Those are just numbers I made up but you get the idea. Or, if you use Amex see if you can buy upgrade points through them and then use on a particular carrier. Definitely shop around online and you'll probably come up with decent deals.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 01:45 PM   #9
wmo168
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Need one!

Use airline miles if you have any to fly over there, I use 80k on AA and able to get two Economy Round trip ticket.

Otherwise use US Airways as they have direct flight to Munich and it is the cheapest.

[ED Photo 12'] [ED Photo 11'] [ED Photo 09'] [PCD Photo 09']
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #10
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmo168 View Post
Otherwise use US Airways as they have direct flight to Munich and it is the cheapest.
That doesn't have to be, of course. Cost is based on availability, departure city, departure date and several other things

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 05:36 PM   #11
wdlv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the advice. I'm waiting to hear when my ED pick up date will be (still no confirmation) . After I hear back I can then start planning the trip.

I'm trying to get an end of April or early may pick up so I don't get stuck with "summer" rates. Plus, I have to calculate another 6-8 weeks delivery back to the U.S.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 05:39 PM   #12
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

It should be possible... i dont think the delivery center is full in April/May...

Which car are you going for?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 08:11 PM   #13
wdlv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Talking

Well, I didn't want to say anything since it's not official yet but this is what I'm going for:

Glacier Silver 335i Sport Line.

Black Leather w/Red Trim
Aluminium w/Coral Red Highlights
Premium Sound Package
Cold Package
Premium Package
Sport Automatic w/Paddle Shifters
19" Rim upgrade w/Staggered Tires

I pretty much made up my mind after seeing the US Press Launch. At that point I was actually set on a different color fore exterior & leather and ok with the regular sport rims! Anyway, this is the picture that changed my mind. It's classy, sporty and timeless. IMO.

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 09:48 PM   #14
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
wow that silver looks very nice, looks perfect with the black lines of the sport version. Only thing missing is a black grille.. or basically everything that is chrome should be turned into black imo

edit: dang, this 'almost' (I'm still confident about my current choice, no worries hehe) makes me wish I would've gone with a silver sports instead.. that way I could've had my wifes rims on the car.. I bet they look awesome under it (black 20's)

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 11:54 PM   #15
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

This is not a good choice for you!!

it's gonna make you look like...: you have good taste ... !
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 12:25 AM   #16
malc410326
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 MB SLK 350 & '12 BMW 328i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by svache View Post
wow that silver looks very nice, looks perfect with the black lines of the sport version. Only thing missing is a black grille.. or basically everything that is chrome should be turned into black imo

edit: dang, this 'almost' (I'm still confident about my current choice, no worries hehe) makes me wish I would've gone with a silver sports instead.. that way I could've had my wifes rims on the car.. I bet they look awesome under it (black 20's)
I'm tellin' you right now....Your choice of mojave metallic will leave you speechless because believe me, I'm sure you will be the FIRST in Hawaii to get this particular color and to be honest, the Mojave almost looks like a 'lighter-tone' mineral grey.....But yes, I'm sure your black 20s would have looked AWESOME with this silver sport line up top....But maybe those black 20s would go with the mojave metallic as well. I guess that's the beauty of Bimmer, TONS of after-market upgrades to look into...I'm even thinking of some new things to do after reading some of these threads.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 12:27 AM   #17
malc410326
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 MB SLK 350 & '12 BMW 328i

Garage List
Quote:
Well, I didn't want to say anything since it's not official yet but this is what I'm going for:

Glacier Silver 335i Sport Line.

Black Leather w/Red Trim
Aluminium w/Coral Red Highlights
Premium Sound Package
Cold Package
Premium Package
Sport Automatic w/Paddle Shifters
19" Rim upgrade w/Staggered Tires

I pretty much made up my mind after seeing the US Press Launch. At that point I was actually set on a different color fore exterior & leather and ok with the regular sport rims! Anyway, this is the picture that changed my mind. It's classy, sporty and timeless. IMO.

Advanced congrats my friend. Great choice. I'm really interested to see how your 19" Rim upgrade with staggered tires will look.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 05:52 AM   #18
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by malc410326 View Post
I'm tellin' you right now....Your choice of mojave metallic will leave you speechless because believe me, I'm sure you will be the FIRST in Hawaii to get this particular color and to be honest, the Mojave almost looks like a 'lighter-tone' mineral grey.....But yes, I'm sure your black 20s would have looked AWESOME with this silver sport line up top....But maybe those black 20s would go with the mojave metallic as well. I guess that's the beauty of Bimmer, TONS of after-market upgrades to look into...I'm even thinking of some new things to do after reading some of these threads.
Hehe, yeah I am the first indeed in Hawaii to get the Mojave according to my dealership, unless someone imports one him/herself but that's unlikely so early after the release

Hmm.. Maybe I'll give the 20's a test/look on my Mojave but seeing how the Mojave is already dark, I kind of think that the chrome wheels will be nicer, we'll see

Appreciate 0