ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-06-2007, 02:05 AM   #1
jaz4
Rep
Drives: M240 convertable

2003 2.5SE v 2006 2.5SI sport

Just wanted to discuss the differences between my old 2003 2.5 SE (I had for 2 years) which was fully loaded with my new purchase a 9 month old 2.5SI Sport.

1) Speed. Much faster, and feels it. The DCS light flickers and wheels spin much more readily than before, even with DCS off and throttle reset, the old 2.5 never felt as lively. The old 2.5 had a bit of a kick at 3,000 rpm but was fairly constant to redline, the new SI seems to kick in 2 parts around the 3,000 but then again at 4,500.

2) MPG. Better up from 280 miles per tank to 320. The 6th gear definitely helps.

3) Handling. SI much better at cornering. The old 2.5 had similar stiffened and lowered sports suspension so should be similar and had same size wheels and runflats. As expected on new tyres I dont get tramlining (when changed to fresh tyres on old 2.5 tramline reduced).

4) Engine/exhaust sound. The bigger exhaust is much more deeper and noisier than the old 2.5 I love it

5) ride. I had electric sports seats in the old 2.5 but the msport seats are way much better. 5 adjustable positions compared to the 3 on the electric, I dont seem to be pushing my knees on the dashboard. The seat bolster hugs similar to the boxster and has a thigh support as well. Great.

6) Instrumentation/control. a) Boot and door open indicator, b) oil level indication, c) rain sensor d) auto headlights e) brake assist- keeps brakes on for 2 seconds to eliminate roll back on hills (or forward if reversing).

7) Sports button changes. I am glad BMW have decided to lower the DSC settings by 50% when in sports mode, this allows for a bit of fun (the idea of a roadster). The old SE was so nannying, now the sports button allows the DSC light to flash and wheels to spin a bit.

8) CD unit plays MP3 cd's so do not require auto cd changer. Could fit aux imput or ice, but find a few mp3 cd's with over 13 albums on each ample now.

Bad points,

Sound system, I had the pronav with carver, and I never found this suffer at all, the SI has basic system and seems to have distorted bass even at low levels and not to have full range as well. My get this looked at may be a fault.

Interior trim. The old SE had the full leather package, so all the doors window trim and sun visors were leather, now plastic. the plastic is also heavily textured which seem to collect dust much easier.

To sum up

It is a totally different car, much more reposive. I was so seriously looking at a 3.0 (3.0 SE same cost as 2.5 SI Sport) but now with the upgraded bhp from 192 to 218 there is even less difference in performance. Dont get confused with 2006 onwards SE or sport these are the 2.5 downrated 177bhp

Note if any one is looking at the SISE if you want the basic car go for it it will be very simiar, possibly smoother ride. If you add any options to the SISE say 18 inch wheels then go for the SI Sport, the options are cheaper you get 18 inch wheels and the msports seats are woth the extra anyway to get the SiSE up to SI sport will cost much more

Also during trade in its the base cost of the car that is considered and options are not so like my old SE that had £7K of options had the same trade in as a basic SE. The SI sport will have a higher trade in than a SiSE due to higher base cost.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2007, 04:04 AM   #2
Samiad
United_States
Rep
Drives: nada

Thanks for your thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaz4 View Post
7) Sports button changes. I am glad BMW have decided to lower the DSC settings by 50% when in sports mode, this allows for a bit of fun (the idea of a roadster). The old SE was so nannying, now the sports button allows the DSC light to flash and wheels to spin a bit.
I didn't know this - where did you discover this if you don't mind me asking?

My previous knowledge was that the sport button only tightens the steering and changes throttle response.
Appreciate 0