E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > What coolant do you use?

02-28-2012, 11:46 PM   #1
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i

What coolant do you use?

I noticed that I had a bit low of coolant level and I have some 50/50 in the garage from prestone, would this be safe to use? I caught the problem before the light turned on and it seems the floating stick is sunk quite a bit. Can anyone enlighten me? And how much am I suppose to fill it up to?
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 12:11 AM   #2
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Stuff from BMW. Some might say it's a rip to buy from BMW when you can get stuff for cheaper but it's only $20. On the cap/reservoir/in the manual, it shows you where the stick should be.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 10:51 AM   #3
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 宝马.e90 View Post
Stuff from BMW. Some might say it's a rip to buy from BMW when you can get stuff for cheaper but it's only $20. On the cap/reservoir/in the manual, it shows you where the stick should be.
Thank you, what's the difference in if I were to use prestone instead? Would hurt the motor? And would it hurt if I overfilled it?
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 10:57 AM   #4
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi29 View Post
I noticed that I had a bit low of coolant level and I have some 50/50 in the garage from prestone, would this be safe to use? I caught the problem before the light turned on and it seems the floating stick is sunk quite a bit. Can anyone enlighten me? And how much am I suppose to fill it up to?
If you are just trying to make up a little bit to get the float up, you can add distilled water straight. Don't put the non-compatible antifreeze in.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 12:08 PM   #5
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

If the Prestone 50/50 says it can be mixed then it is perfectly fine to use. Easier would be to just add some more water, in fact that would do a better job of cooling the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 12:17 PM   #6
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
If you are just trying to make up a little bit to get the float up, you can add distilled water straight. Don't put the non-compatible antifreeze in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
If the Prestone 50/50 says it can be mixed then it is perfectly fine to use. Easier would be to just add some more water, in fact that would do a better job of cooling the car.
Ahh that makes sense, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 06:39 PM   #7
TroyDeJ
Banned
Rep
Drives: around aimlessly

i just use BMW coolent. its really only a couple bucks more but its suppose to be better for the engine block so i figure ill use it even if people say its "regular antifreeze just blue"
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 08:42 PM   #8
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyDeJ View Post
i just use BMW coolent. its really only a couple bucks more but its suppose to be better for the engine block so i figure ill use it even if people say its "regular antifreeze just blue"
I see, but its better safe than sorry right? After all, people have told me its a few bucks more but you'll have ensured items for a bmw
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 09:57 PM   #9
TroyDeJ
Banned
Rep
Drives: around aimlessly

yea, bmw coolant isnt pre mixed so it almost works out to the same price as 50/50 pre mixed. For the same money i figure why not. will prestone coolant cause problems? im SURE it wont but why create the possibility for a problem
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 12:30 AM   #10
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyDeJ View Post
yea, bmw coolant isnt pre mixed so it almost works out to the same price as 50/50 pre mixed. For the same money i figure why not. will prestone coolant cause problems? im SURE it wont but why create the possibility for a problem
true, why be cheap when you have an expensive car :/ i'll try to get some coolant by this week thanks everyone !
Appreciate 0