ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-27-2012, 11:15 AM   #1
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

Tire pressure/temp gauge?

I belive in the SCCA magazine, there was an ad for a 52mm gauge and kit that displayed your each tire's temperature and pressure. Anyone know about this? I lost the mag

edit: here's one I found:

http://www.motorworldhype.com/2010-0...tem-tpms-andy/ its $1k though....

any feedback?

Last edited by ZStig; 02-27-2012 at 11:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 09:13 PM   #2
BruceJ
6 of Diamonds (ret)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roffle Waffle View Post
I belive in the SCCA magazine, there was an ad for a 52mm gauge and kit that displayed your each tire's temperature and pressure. Anyone know about this? I lost the mag

edit: here's one I found:

http://www.motorworldhype.com/2010-0...tem-tpms-andy/ its $1k though....

any feedback?
Maybe a little low on the scale for your application but ORANGE TPMS does the same thing. It will constantly display all 4 tires for either pressure or temperature or switch bet the two automatically. Only thing I've found is that pressure reads about 2 psi low. But thats within typical tolerance for these types of sensors.
2011 E93 335is - current fav
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 09:20 PM   #3
MFGJR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

No info on the Stack system, but I did run this past weekend at VIR with the TyreDog setup:

http://www.amazon.com/TYREDOG-TD1300...0397085&sr=8-1

I was pretty happy with it--cold and hot pressures agreed with my other tire gauges, and seeing all 4 pressures simultaneously made it very easy to keep an eye on pressures when ambient ranged from 25 to 55 degrees F on teh same day. Between sessions, you could see a 1.5 psi difference between the side of the car sitting facing the sun and the side that was shaded.

On the roll, it was pretty interesting to see the differences in individual tires on the drive down to the track. At speed on track, however, the display was kind of small and difficult to see. If I felt the tires going greasy, I had to have the instructor read off the pressures. Despite that, it was really useful to find the exact threshhold where the tires went off (37psi), and I successfully got them dialed down to avoid that threshhold in later sessions. If driving solo, I think it could best be used right when the checker flies, to get true hot pressures. Mounting the display higher up, more in line of sight--I used the ashtray--could possibly render it readable at a glance when at speed, too.

TyreDog also gives temps, but I can't weigh in on accuracy. They were even and near ambient in the mornings, or sitting on the garage just now. When driving on the highway, they seemed to be out of synch more than I'd expect.

A couple cautionary points: (1) the sensors are external, replace the caps, and depress the stem when installed so one coming loose or failing means pressure loss. Good news, it'll let you know it's happening! And, (2) while they're not extrememly heavy, it would be a good idea to have the wheels/tires balanced with the sensors installed.

I got mine for something like $150--prices vary A LOT, so shop around if interested. The Stack system is, I'm sure, a more roubust and sophisticated piece of hardware, but it looks like it costs 6+ times more than the Tyredog.

Not meaning to hijack your thread, but I was about to post about this and it seemed like a relevant spot to do that.
      02-28-2012, 12:27 AM   #4
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFGJR View Post
No info on the Stack system, but I did run this past weekend at VIR with the TyreDog setup:

http://www.amazon.com/TYREDOG-TD1300...0397085&sr=8-1

I was pretty happy with it--cold and hot pressures agreed with my other tire gauges, and seeing all 4 pressures simultaneously made it very easy to keep an eye on pressures when ambient ranged from 25 to 55 degrees F on teh same day. Between sessions, you could see a 1.5 psi difference between the side of the car sitting facing the sun and the side that was shaded.

On the roll, it was pretty interesting to see the differences in individual tires on the drive down to the track. At speed on track, however, the display was kind of small and difficult to see. If I felt the tires going greasy, I had to have the instructor read off the pressures. Despite that, it was really useful to find the exact threshhold where the tires went off (37psi), and I successfully got them dialed down to avoid that threshhold in later sessions. If driving solo, I think it could best be used right when the checker flies, to get true hot pressures. Mounting the display higher up, more in line of sight--I used the ashtray--could possibly render it readable at a glance when at speed, too.

TyreDog also gives temps, but I can't weigh in on accuracy. They were even and near ambient in the mornings, or sitting on the garage just now. When driving on the highway, they seemed to be out of synch more than I'd expect.

A couple cautionary points: (1) the sensors are external, replace the caps, and depress the stem when installed so one coming loose or failing means pressure loss. Good news, it'll let you know it's happening! And, (2) while they're not extrememly heavy, it would be a good idea to have the wheels/tires balanced with the sensors installed.

I got mine for something like $150--prices vary A LOT, so shop around if interested. The Stack system is, I'm sure, a more roubust and sophisticated piece of hardware, but it looks like it costs 6+ times more than the Tyredog.

Not meaning to hijack your thread, but I was about to post about this and it seemed like a relevant spot to do that.
I saw this, just didn't like that the display doesn't fit into a 52mm gauge pod. Thanks for the other tips though!
      02-28-2012, 09:16 AM   #5
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceJ View Post
Maybe a little low on the scale for your application but ORANGE TPMS does the same thing. It will constantly display all 4 tires for either pressure or temperature or switch bet the two automatically. Only thing I've found is that pressure reads about 2 psi low. But thats within typical tolerance for these types of sensors.
Just found it on amazon, it also doesn't come with a 52mm gauge
      02-28-2012, 10:06 AM   #6
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

For Solo, I just use a Thermal IR gun and read my tires each run. I take outside, middle, and inner readings to see how the temperature gradient is. If I got High Temp, low, High Temp then I know my pressure is off...and release air and adjust accordingly.

Of course, you're taking outside temps of the tires, so it isn't "perfect" but it's a cheap solution that's been working for me.
Appreciate 0