E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Foam Cannon using too much solution

02-26-2012, 04:54 PM   #1
Focus
Captain
Rep
Drives: N/A

Foam Cannon using too much solution

I purchased a Foam cannon but before i'm even through 1/ the car the solution has run out. Am i using it wrong or is there a better one i can purchase at a lowes or such?

^This is what i have right now. My PW is 1.6 GPM 1800 psi if that makes any difference.
      02-27-2012, 01:47 AM   #2
nick@detailaddict
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I've never tried that one but one possibility is that the type of car wash solution you are using? Some are more concentrated that others which could make a difference. Or you might be trying to foam your car too much and you're not moving fast enough to foam up the entire car. The Gilmour foamaster goes for around 50 to 60 bucks and although those depend on the pressure of the water coming from your garden hose, I have never had any trouble of not having enough soap before foaming the entire car.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 10:05 AM   #3
Focus
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick@detailaddict View Post
I've never tried that one but one possibility is that the type of car wash solution you are using? Some are more concentrated that others which could make a difference. Or you might be trying to foam your car too much and you're not moving fast enough to foam up the entire car. The Gilmour foamaster goes for around 50 to 60 bucks and although those depend on the pressure of the water coming from your garden hose, I have never had any trouble of not having enough soap before foaming the entire car.

I thought that might be it but I'm using cg maxi suds 2. I even then tried to mix it with a other very foamy soap and for the most part as I'm basically running trying ymto cover the car before the solution wears out.

Is 1.6 gpm maybe not enough to create that very thick foam? Or is there a better foaming soap I should try or a different t foam cannon?
      02-27-2012, 03:31 PM   #4
pwner4once
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Coupe / 07

Hi OP,

your g-foam has been discussed over many posts at autogeek. Google 'autogeek My solution to $150 foam guns...'.
I am not sure what your ratio is but if I recall correctly, some ppl seem to have very good result with 3 oz car wash & top off with water.

Hope that helps
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 04:54 PM   #5
aarwilli
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335i Coupe

I just bought this yesterday (after seeing the autogeek thread about it). I filled to the first line with Meg's ultimate wash and wax and then topped off with water. It made plenty of foam for the entire vehicle but my problem was that the foam was not thick enough (like you would see from a foam cannon). I know the guys on the AG thread were getting foam cannon like foam so not sure why...
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 05:05 PM   #6
Focus
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwner4once View Post
Hi OP,

your g-foam has been discussed over many posts at autogeek. Google 'autogeek My solution to $150 foam guns...'.
I am not sure what your ratio is but if I recall correctly, some ppl seem to have very good result with 3 oz car wash & top off with water.

Hope that helps
That does help thank you. Have people been reporting what I'm saying about it going through solution rather quickly?

Also have they gotten thick sticky foam from the unit?
      02-27-2012, 05:07 PM   #7
Focus
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarwilli View Post
I just bought this yesterday (after seeing the autogeek thread about it). I filled to the first line with Meg's ultimate wash and wax and then topped off with water. It made plenty of foam for the entire vehicle but my problem was that the foam was not thick enough (like you would see from a foam cannon). I know the guys on the AG thread were getting foam cannon like foam so not sure why...
Same. I'm getting foam but definitely definetly not sticking. I've tried a few different soaps but no luck. Maybe those guys have a pw higher then 1.6 gpm?
      02-27-2012, 05:33 PM   #8
aarwilli
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus View Post
Same. I'm getting foam but definitely definetly not sticking. I've tried a few different soaps but no luck. Maybe those guys have a pw higher then 1.6 gpm?
For reference my PW is 2000 psi but I'm not sure what it's gpm rating is. I'll check when I get home.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 06:48 PM   #9
Focus
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwner4once View Post
Hi OP,

Hope that helps
Just gave that thread a read and im going to pick up some meguiars gold class and mix it with apc and maxi suds 2
      02-28-2012, 08:47 PM   #10
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

you know you dont have to have the "cool foam factor" to have the grime being broken down prior to washing, right? its more important to have the soap on the car rather than a TON of foam. So even from a $8 garden feeder, there is enough "solution" on the paint for me to have a bare surface after washing.

IMO, a car full of foam and looking like a marsh-mellow is for show

Pre-rinse car
get soap on whole car to start the breakdown process
wash car
rinse car
sheet car
dry car
done
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 09:02 PM   #11
Focus
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious Eric View Post
you know you dont have to have the "cool foam factor" to have the grime being broken down prior to washing, right? its more important to have the soap on the car rather than a TON of foam. So even from a $8 garden feeder, there is enough "solution" on the paint for me to have a bare surface after washing.

IMO, a car full of foam and looking like a marsh-mellow is for show

Pre-rinse car
get soap on whole car to start the breakdown process
wash car
rinse car
sheet car
dry car
done
This sir..is a great point. How do you feel about mixing 2 oz of MGC with 2 oz of CG Grime Reaper APC as pre-wash/foam ? is that too aggressive?
      02-29-2012, 12:54 AM   #12
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

why not just use DAWN or chemical guys citrus wash and clear? Letting APC dry on the car is a recipe for disaster. you are going to breakdown the protection with the APC. Just use the MGC. or even better, but more pricey, chemical guys honey dew snowfoam
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 08:47 AM   #13
Focus
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious Eric View Post
why not just use DAWN or chemical guys citrus wash and clear? Letting APC dry on the car is a recipe for disaster. you are going to breakdown the protection with the APC. Just use the MGC. or even better, but more pricey, chemical guys honey dew snowfoam
Thanks for the recommendation. I currently have CGWG , Citrus Wash, & Maxi Suds. For every week washes i assume Maxi Suds II would be the best? When i run out i'll pick up some MGC.