F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > Questions about European Delivery
proTUNING Freaks

02-25-2012, 10:17 PM   #1
Redcapote
Private
Rep
Drives: N/A

Questions about European Delivery

Forgive if repost, or if in the wrong forum.

I currently live in Florida. I'll be moving to Spain in March of 2012.

Question 1: If you order a European Delivery while in the U.S., the car you pick up and have shipped to you is U.S. spec or Euro spec?

Question 2: Can I order a European Delivery vehicle from within the U.S., get the price break, and opt to not have it shipped back to the U.S.? In other words, pick it up in Germany and drive it to Spain to its permanent home?

Question 3: Is there some kind of European Delivery option for the person living in Europe who wants to pick it up from BMW HQ? Is there a price break for this option like there is for U.S. European Delivery buyers?

You pretty much see where I'm going with this. I could buy a roundtrip ticket from Spain to, say, Miami, and order my European Delivery and I'd still come out ahead on the bottom line. Let me know if I'm not seeing some obvious drawbacks. Thank you all.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 11:35 PM   #2
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
I'm Dutch and live in the US with a possibility that I go back so I asked your questions as well.. Well, except for the third one lol

As for the other two, the car will be US spec, regardless where it is picked up, and you will have to bring the car back to the US first. This is at least what I was told..

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 07:34 AM   #3
Redcapote
Private
Rep

Thanks, svache.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #4
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
No problem

What I forgot to mention is also, you should see it as this: If this was actually an option, many people living in Europe will actually order their car in the US as it is much cheaper (sometimes half the price of what they pay in Europe) and then the dealers in Europe will lose out a lot of money. This is at least what my CA explained to me and it does make sense to me

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 03:48 PM   #5
Redcapote
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by svache View Post
No problem

What I forgot to mention is also, you should see it as this: If this was actually an option, many people living in Europe will actually order their car in the US as it is much cheaper (sometimes half the price of what they pay in Europe) and then the dealers in Europe will lose out a lot of money. This is at least what my CA explained to me and it does make sense to me
Makes all the sense in the world. Doesn't mean I won't try and bend the rules in my favor a bit. My money matters to me, their money matters to them.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 04:02 PM   #6
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcapote View Post
Makes all the sense in the world. Doesn't mean I won't try and bend the rules in my favor a bit. My money matters to me, their money matters to them.
That's oh so true

Btw, one thing you might be looking into is how long you will need to have the car within the US in order to avoid any import taxes. I know that I will need to have the title in my name for at least 6 months before I bring it to the Netherlands, if I decide to do so. If I don't, I will have to pay a hefty tax on the import :S

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 05:37 PM   #7
Redcapote
Private
Rep

Question 4: If I order the car in Spain, can I still pick it up from BMW Welt? That experience just seems so cool.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 05:49 PM   #8
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Question 4: If I order the car in Spain, can I still pick it up from BMW Welt? That experience just seems so cool.
I can't say for sure, I did read reports of Europeans picking up cars at BMW Welt but can't find anything concrete on it. Perhaps it would be the best to inform at a Spanish dealership to be sure? And I agree, the experience does seem cool indeed, I hope to do it some day =)

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 06:15 AM   #9
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Each country have their own arrangements.
You will have to ask a Spanish dealer or a Spanish member if BMW Spain have such a scheme.

A number of countries do not.
      02-29-2012, 09:49 PM   #10
wdlv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M Sport

Quote:
Forgive if repost, or if in the wrong forum.

Question 1: If you order a European Delivery while in the U.S., the car you pick up and have shipped to you is U.S. spec or Euro spec?

Question 2: Can I order a European Delivery vehicle from within the U.S., get the price break, and opt to not have it shipped back to the U.S.? In other words, pick it up in Germany and drive it to Spain to its permanent home?

Question 3: Is there some kind of European Delivery option for the person living in Europe who wants to pick it up from BMW HQ? Is there a price break for this option like there is for U.S. European Delivery buyers?
I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure on these points.
1. If you purchase from the United States it will be U.S. Spec.

2. If you pick up from Germany and do not have it shipped back. You will have problems. First the warranty is only valid from the country it was purchased. Also, if you are financing you may get screwed over there too. If you want to do this I would recommend shipping to the U.S. and then back to Europe. *I'm sure not ideal, you'll probably get hid hard on taxes, etc.

3. Is there some sort of special European Delivery within Europe? I do not know you'll have to find out from your dealer. Otherwise check out, the BMW websites from the country in question. If you dig hard enough you can find the answers.

In any case, good luck my friend.

Last edited by wdlv; 02-29-2012 at 10:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 10:06 PM   #11
Redcapote
Private
Rep

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 10:31 PM   #12
wdlv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M Sport

You could also just purchase the vehicle in the U.S. and ship overseas. I've heard of this many years ago, I think even with shipping and taxes you end up saving.

In any case, you lose out on the ED experience but your wallet loves you.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 12:14 AM   #13
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdlv View Post
First the warranty is only valid from the country it was purchased.
I don't know where you heard this but that is different from what I've heard. They guaranteed me that the warranty is worldwide, the only difference is that if they, for example, normally offer 2 year warranty in an European country and 4 year warranty in the US, and you have the car in that European country, only that 2 year warranty will count. I wouldn't have bought my car without that guarantee of warranty because chances are likely we will be moving out of the country.

Plus it makes sense too, what if you live in Europe and you cross borders (which is like crossing states in the US, and happens a lot) and your car breaks down. Then you will need to have it towed back to your own country in order to get it fixed? If that was the case, many people would look somewhere else for a car

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 12:19 AM   #14
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdlv View Post
You could also just purchase the vehicle in the U.S. and ship overseas. I've heard of this many years ago, I think even with shipping and taxes you end up saving.

In any case, you lose out on the ED experience but your wallet loves you.
In that case he better checks how the rules for importing cars into Spain is. If I take my old country (the Netherlands) for example, there you will need to have had the title in your name for at least 6 months, and not sell the car for a year after arriving there or you might end up pretty expensive due to taxes and import costs (not much cheaper from buying a car there). Shipping the car itself is pretty cheap yeah, but this part is a bit of a catch and is exactly why I am paying my ordered car in full on delivery so I don't get those extra costs

Appreciate 0