E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Battery problems -Water ingress.

02-20-2012, 07:01 AM   #1
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Battery problems -Water ingress.

Anyone else had water entering the battery compartment on an E92?

Apparently water has corroded some of the leads on the battery which is causing problems with the DDE and logging no manner of fault codes.
The car loses power occasionally and on other occasions has come to a grinding halt!

Parts wise it's not expensive, but labour costs could be.
Typical really,cars 3 mths out of warranty & has 32k on the clock.

I've asked for a goodwill gesture from on high,so we'll see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 10:09 PM   #2
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Hope the best for you, Ian.

Did you have any symptoms before the warranty ran out?
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 03:45 AM   #3
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Sorry to hear this Ian.
My tact would be to argue that the fault was occuring, albeit unknown, within the warranty period (given the level of corrossion, it's been happening a while, right?) and it's only now that you're suffering from the consequences of it.

On that basis they should rightfully cough.

Replaced by 6.2 litres of AMG powered C class.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 05:52 AM   #4
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
Hope the best for you, Ian.

Did you have any symptoms before the warranty ran out?
Cheers for that Floyd, and I hope you are keeping well

The warranty expired in Nov and prior to that the car was fine.
The problems seemed to start with a flat battery and got worse the more the car was used after that point.
I've never seen my battery in honesty,on the two occasions I've had a flat battery (the first due to a day spent cleaning the car without starting the engine),I called BMW assist and it was jumped from under the bonnet,the second and most recent time I charged it from under the bonnet.

I should get some news today or tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheps View Post
Sorry to hear this Ian.
My tact would be to argue that the fault was occuring, albeit unknown, within the warranty period (given the level of corrossion, it's been happening a while, right?) and it's only now that you're suffering from the consequences of it.

On that basis they should rightfully cough.
That's a good approach Si, and yes your right, the corrosion wouldn't have occured over such a short period of time, so it must have been happening before the warranty expired.

My dealer has always been very good in terms of doing stuff whether in warranty or not (they replaced the seals on the boost hose outside the warranty period),so I'm fairly confident that they'll do the best for me.

Thankfully the problem could not be placed at the doors of a certain mod, as I had already been warned that BMW AG's tolerance would snap if they could attribute a fault to my MPG enhancing tinkering!
Appreciate 0