E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N51 (SULEV) ECU software revisions?

02-18-2012, 12:38 PM   #1
SyracuseVince
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 6sp-man rwd

N51 (SULEV) ECU software revisions?

2011 E92, 6sp-manual, rwd ...

Apparently, the ECU acts as follows. When the driver lets off the accelerator (and coasts) the throttle closes completely (no doubt to avoid burning fuel unnecessarily) and re-opens for idling when the engine speed gas dropped to about 1000 rpm. My car behaves that way in all gears but 3rd. In 3rd gear, the cut-off point is 2600 rpm rather than 1000 rpm. When decelerating in 3rd gear I feel an instantaneous decrease in acceleration (a lurch, if you will) at 2600 rpm and deceleration is decreased below that. This behavior is utterly reproducible and can be seen objectively by watching the instantaneous gas-mileage display (it stays at 99 mpg down to 1000 rpm in all gears but 3rd; in 3rd it drops from 99 mpg at 2600 rpm). It does not seem to be in the interest of reduced emissions (or my driving experience).

My dealer was quick to verify this behavior and was as puzzled by it as I was. They knew of no similar reports so we tested two other 2011 E9x's, one new, one used. They both did it, in exactly the same manner, with 3rd gear being an exception to a seemingly reasonable behavior. So now it's a case of "they all do it" and the dealership is not very interested in pursuing the issue further (suggesting that it would take weeks or months to determine if there exists a software revision that would change the behavior, and not at all suggesting that I might be entitled to it if it did exist).

In short, I don't like the behavior because I feel it (and, as I said before, it doesn't seem to be in the interest of reduced emissions). I don't know how to proceed. ... any advice?
Appreciate 0