F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > iPhone and navigation. Who needs it?!?!
Extreme Powerhouse

02-15-2012, 12:46 PM   #1
Shuttlegoose
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f30 328, e36 m3

iPhone and navigation. Who needs it?!?!

Sorry from the get go if this is a silly topic, but I'll post anyway.

Like many of you I am juggling between which options I want and which options I need. Two completely different stories. I test drove a 328i with the tech package, screen is awesome, HUD is super awesome, but I didn't actually turn the nav on. I have not had nav yet in a car and was considering it this time around.

I have heard the argument of who needs a nav when you have your smart phone, but let's face it trying to look at your phone can get very annoying while driving, not to mention its not very safe. I found the HUD very useful displaying my speed, and will be very useful for turn by turn directions as well.

My thoughts were that we are not to far along from being able to display our phone map onto the idrive screen. I have heard the idea thrown around in the forums once or twice but not much came of it. Anyone have any thoughts on this matter? I would much rather safe myself the money lol!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 12:50 PM   #2
thatsagoodpoint
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 3

We're not too far away from being able to sync the iPhone to the car's nav system. I'd say it could be a feature saved for an LCI but that's too good to pass up. Just depends how closely BMW and Apple are willing to share and work together.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 12:51 PM   #3
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Sounds to me that you are hesitating between the practicality of the HUD and Nav options, and yet you want the keep the car's price less hurtful.

To my eyes, you are ready to have the Tech Pack,
but your wallet is less... (but i could be wrong)

If money was not an issue, i would take the Tech Pack blindfolded.
But if you are like me, and money is not readily available and/or you dont see much the added value of those tech, then just skip it....

Whatever it is... choose the decision that you will least regret in 6 months or 1 year...

just my 2 cents (not enough for you to buy the Tech pack)
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 12:59 PM   #4
Shuttlegoose
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30
Sounds to me that you are hesitating between the practicality of the HUD and Nav options, and yet you want the keep the car's price less hurtful.

To my eyes, you are ready to have the Tech Pack,
but your wallet is less... (but i could be wrong)

If money was not an issue, i would take the Tech Pack blindfolded.
But if you are like me, and money is not readily available and/or you dont see much the added value of those tech, then just skip it....

Whatever it is... choose the decision that you will least regret in 6 months or 1 year...

just my 2 cents (not enough for you to buy the Tech pack)
I totally agree with you. I want the tech package for sure, but I'm still unsure if I want to shell out the money for a service I essentially already have. Another person mentioned they know where they are going 95 percent of the time, and that makes perfect sense as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 04:45 PM   #5
PrinceBarin
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 CP (sold)

I had the same dilemma and ended up leaving Nav on the table. I'm a bit gutted but then I would hardly use it (and I have a garmin!).

If you're doing a lot of mileage and often to places you don't know then I'd think seriously about finding the cash.

If not, you've got to question it. It's a real nice-to-have, but if you're not using it daily I would forget about it.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 07:03 PM   #6
2wheels4me
Private
Rep
Drives: '12 Black 335i sport sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceBarin View Post
I had the same dilemma and ended up leaving Nav on the table. I'm a bit gutted but then I would hardly use it (and I have a garmin!).

If you're doing a lot of mileage and often to places you don't know then I'd think seriously about finding the cash.

If not, you've got to question it. It's a real nice-to-have, but if you're not using it daily I would forget about it.
I included the tech package to get the bigger and higher resolution screen, the extended dashboard display and the heads-up. I intend to use the nav only occasionally. I agree it is too expensive, though. Should be more like 1200 to 1800 bucks.
2012 Black Sapphire/Red Coral Leather 335i Sportline, Aluminum trim/Red highlight w/ 19" wheels, Sport Auto, Adaptive M suspension, Variable Sport Steering, Premium, Technology, Premium Sound, Heated Seats
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 07:42 PM   #7
jgrasty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I didn't get the nav. I already have a Garmin GPS with a lifetime map subscription.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 08:43 PM   #8
jzcrna
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

I actually wanted the tech package for the bigger screen and the use of BMW apps, especially for pandora, spotify and internet radio.

Its true that you can stream Pandora, Spotify, etc. with enhanced bluetooth but the ability to see it on the screen is a priceless feature to me and it requires BMW Apps, and BMW apps requires the technology package.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 09:10 PM   #9
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335rwd Dinan S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuttlegoose View Post

Like many of you I am juggling between which options I want and which options I need. Two completely different stories. I test drove a 328i with the tech package, screen is awesome, HUD is super awesome, but I didn't actually turn the nav on. I have not had nav yet in a car and was considering it this time around.

I have heard the argument of who needs a nav when you have your smart phone, but let's face it trying to look at your phone can get very annoying while driving, not to mention its not very safe. I found the HUD very useful displaying my speed, and will be very useful for turn by turn directions as well.

My thoughts were that we are not to far along from being able to display our phone map onto the idrive screen. I have heard the idea thrown around in the forums once or twice but not much came of it. Anyone have any thoughts on this matter? I would much rather safe myself the money lol!
The vast majority of the time, I don't use navigation, I rarely need it. It is handy when going somewhere for the first time, or going a different way to a place you don't visit often. But 90% of my driving involves going to places I know pretty well and I have spent much of my life finding new places without navigation....so again, we don't "need" it. It is nice to have when you want it.

Is it optional in the sense that you can have all the phone and music integration, all the apps, etc but not nav?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 09:14 PM   #10
Shuttlegoose
First Lieutenant
Rep

It's a difficult question to answer. I am thinking that I will skip out on nav. At first I thought about getting the base model and including nav, but what would my bimmerpost comrades think of me then?! I want to go check out a regular idrive screen and really make sure I don't want it. I will report back. Great discussion!!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 11:12 PM   #11
volsfan0911
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI

slightly similar scenario - '10 GTI with the RNS-510 nav ($2,000 option). One of the reasons I got it was integration into the dash/stereo (which is nice). Update from VWoA/NAVTEQ is $270 worth of rape (with a coupon, natch). iPhone 4 on VZW grandfather unlimited data plan, already own it. MotionX GPS, $0.99. 1 year voice subscription, $6.99 on sale last X-mas holiday special. Bought a really good mount (ProClip) for $60 so call it $80 total to be fair. iPhone setup has excellent Google integration this way which native VW setup does not. It also integrates through BT audio streaming for turn by turn voice directions. If I want the dash display then I need to go through the VW factory system and all of the PITA in entering via the relatively crappy RNS-510 interface.

Bottom line - get the factory option IMHO. Better yet - rest of the world please copy Audi on this one. Drove the A6 at the AoA test drive experience last December. Killer MMI setup and integrated search in the nav system is just awesome. Google Earth is overkill but it is just so beautiful and logical to have integrated online search functionality that it's a sin if this system doesn't do it.

[/rant]
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 12:38 AM   #12
iwannabimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda6s grand touring

To me personally, and I don't mean to offend anyone by saying this, Navigation is the most useless option on a car. With the capabilities of modern smart/cell phones (I have Blackberry), all I need is to plug in the address and see it on a map on my phone, then I'm good to go. I don't even need to check my phone while driving, I do it before starting the drive. Or if I'm home, I will check where I'm supposed to go on my laptop.

HUD? I also don't see the purpose of it. I have all the info I need on my dashboard. If you can't drive and check the dashboard at the same time, then you shouldn't be driving.

Yeah, ok, these features may look cool and have cool graphics, but they have zero functionality and purpose for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 07:40 AM   #13
Shuttlegoose
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwannabimmer
To me personally, and I don't mean to offend anyone by saying this, Navigation is the most useless option on a car. With the capabilities of modern smart/cell phones (I have Blackberry), all I need is to plug in the address and see it on a map on my phone, then I'm good to go. I don't even need to check my phone while driving, I do it before starting the drive. Or if I'm home, I will check where I'm supposed to go on my laptop.

HUD? I also don't see the purpose of it. I have all the info I need on my dashboard. If you can't drive and check the dashboard at the same time, then you shouldn't be driving.

Yeah, ok, these features may look cool and have cool graphics, but they have zero functionality and purpose for me.
No offense taken, and on some issues I completely agree with you. I can probably bring up directions on my phone 100 times faster than plugging the information in on a nav system. Maybe I'll look into a nav app for turn by turn.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 08:33 AM   #14
rackley
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E90

I had a 550i with nav in it and it was...less than stellar. The traffic updates in particular were basically useless due to lack of quick readability. From the pictures the nav is still very similar in the F30.

The only reason I would ever consider getting the nav/HUD is because I wanted the lane departure warning. I do a lot of long early morning drives for military purposes and let's just say caffiene is NOT optional. The really bad part is in order to get lane departure warning, it mandates the tech package, which I really don't want.

Regarding the GPS functionality - it took the GPS manufacturers longer than I would have expected, but but TomTom and Garmin have cellular-connected units now that get their traffic updates from unspecified sources, but are apparently better than the almost useless FM traffic updates.

Of course the best would be just to have a screen where you could project Google Maps and overlay the current crowd-sourced traffic conditions, but I don't think that's going to happen in vehicles any time soon.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 10:19 PM   #15
volsfan0911
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackley View Post
..Of course the best would be just to have a screen where you could project Google Maps and overlay the current crowd-sourced traffic conditions, but I don't think that's going to happen in vehicles any time soon....
actually, new A6 has RTT via Google if you opt for the tech package. Display is Google Earth (overkill probably but awfully slick) via a t-mob SIM. Not sure how real time it is - but should be as good as Google can keep up with. Here in the DC area, it's a moot point. The traffic always sucks so who needs real-time to tell me that?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 12:06 PM   #16
SoFlo_Nick
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current (392 Widebody Charger)

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuttlegoose View Post

I used to use Portable Nav and they where good but... Once i took a leap of faith and got In Dash it was the best option based move i ever did its so convienitnt and easy especially BMW nav. And if you don't want to input yourself or it cant find it call BMW Assist and they can download the directions into the nav its Worth it you cant go wrong with it
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 07:33 PM   #17
Sandpiper
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i xDrive

I personally like built in NAVs because no wires and no need to carry it around. I hate having to put my Garmin in the arm rest when I get out of my car dad's car.

For those people who say they know where they are going 95% of the time. Well sometimes if you need to find a detour a NAV is very helpful. I use it all the time when traffic is backed up when going home from work.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 07:41 PM   #18
Shuttlegoose
First Lieutenant
Rep

After looking at a few pics of the non nav I drive I think it's something I can live without. If I sell my car for 2.5k more than I'm looking for then I'll get the nav! Lol
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 11:46 PM   #19
cjh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 22 G42

Navigation in any car is one of those things that isn't necessary at all but is still nice. Its like having a TV in your bedroom- why do that when you already have one in your living room? Because its nice anyway.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 08:33 AM   #20
CE750Jockey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 M240 'vert 6MT

Nav is nice to have, but at this price, no. I'm skipping it.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 10:54 AM   #21
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Bottom line: the nav option is grossly overpriced, but necessary all the same for the peripheral benefits. It might also be useful to have a look at what Edmunds and Kelly report on the market price for two or three-year-old BMW's with and without nav, to get a sense of what you can ultimately recover from what you pay.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 03:24 PM   #22
Shuttlegoose
First Lieutenant
Rep

just drove a fully loaded 328i, didn't use the nav or the parking. The screen and HUD however was cool, skipping them both.
Appreciate 0