E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > No parking sensors / auto-dimming rearview and some ticking, oh my!

02-13-2012, 02:43 PM   #1
infiniteecho
Rep
Drives: 09 335i

Unhappy No parking sensors / auto-dimming rearview and some ticking, oh my!

Hello all,

Moving this topic to a more traffic'ed location:

I've just purchased my BMW a couple weeks ago and so I am still getting used to everything in the car. I've noticed that my front and rear parking sensors are not functioning. I thought the sales guy had just turned them off but no matter what I do I can't seem to get the little green light to come on above the little cone button on the lower dash.

I've also noticed that my auto-dimming rearview mirror is not functioning. Is there a compas in there behind the glass someplace as well? If so, it too is not displaying.

Do you know if these two functions share a fuse?

Lastly I've noticed some kind of tick from the motor. It's not direct injection injector duty tick. It is only at idle, not 100% of the time (maybe 10 or 15%?) and there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it in regards to outside temp or temp of the motor. If I rev the motor ever so slightly the tick will go away and it might come back maybe 50% of the time. The motor runs fine, pulls hard, etc etc. Just a seemingly random tick. Thoughts on this as well?

I've not been to the dealer yet. Figured I'd cover all my bases before heading in. I didn't buy the car from a BMW dealer. Hoping they're not going to give me much issue. The car is an 09 with 30K miles. I'm due for a service shortly so I figure I'll have them just look at everything when I drop it off.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 02:48 PM   #2
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

The tick is normal just let your car warm up.
Koni special active red, eibach pro-kit springs, Remus exhaust, stage 3 intake manifold,Stage 2 AA tune, BMW Short shift kit. Silicon intake pipe. M3 control arms front, M3 rear. ECS trailing arm with whiteline bushings. Purple powerflex subframe bushings. Yellow power flex upper shock mounts. Single mass flywheel OE weight.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 02:49 PM   #3
infiniteecho
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerxq View Post
The tick is normal just let your car warm up.
I've noticed it do it even after the car is at full operating temp as well. Still normal / okay?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 02:53 PM   #4
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by infiniteecho View Post
I've noticed it do it even after the car is at full operating temp as well. Still normal / okay?
Yea its normal I wouldn't worry about it lots of 3 series do this. You can get it fixed if the noise really bothers you but dealers are usually reluctant fix it.
Koni special active red, eibach pro-kit springs, Remus exhaust, stage 3 intake manifold,Stage 2 AA tune, BMW Short shift kit. Silicon intake pipe. M3 control arms front, M3 rear. ECS trailing arm with whiteline bushings. Purple powerflex subframe bushings. Yellow power flex upper shock mounts. Single mass flywheel OE weight.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 02:54 PM   #5
onebadmofo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

If you don't have compass in the mirror then you don't have auto-dimming mirrors. The mirrors are part of premium package.
PDC only works in reverse, but check the bumpers for little round sensors if you have them at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 02:55 PM   #6
infiniteecho
Rep

Quote:
Yea its normal I wouldn't worry about it lots of 3 series do this. You can get it fixed if the noise really bothers you but dealers are usually reluctant fix it.
Is it valve tick? What is the source of the ticking? It's mostly embarrassing more than anything.

I have been considering getting an ECU flash and didn't want to do anything to the power-train until I figure out what the deal with the ticking is.

Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 02:57 PM   #7
infiniteecho
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebadmofo View Post
If you don't have compass in the mirror then you don't have auto-dimming mirrors. The mirrors are part of premium package.
PDC only works in reverse, but check the bumpers for little round sensors if you have them at all.
The car is fully loaded so far as I can tell. I have the button on the dash (not a blank) sensors in the front and rear bumpers.

If I have the premium package, what else would I have? I have the 10-way Dakota leather seats, Logic 7 premium stereo, rear and side sun shades, heated seats and steering wheel, nav and the three homelink buttons on the rearview ... anything else to be on the lookout for?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 02:58 PM   #8
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Is it valve tick? What is the source of the ticking? It's mostly embarrassing more than anything.

I have been considering getting an ECU flash and didn't want to do anything to the power-train until I figure out what the deal with the ticking is.

Thanks for the info.
Yea its valve ticking but its really not that bad from the outside.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13504
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 03:15 PM   #9
infiniteecho
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for the info ... now if I could just figure out the parking / auto-dimming issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 03:31 PM   #10
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Quote:
The car is fully loaded so far as I can tell. I have the button on the dash (not a blank) sensors in the front and rear bumpers.

If I have the premium package, what else would I have? I have the 10-way Dakota leather seats, Logic 7 premium stereo, rear and side sun shades, heated seats and steering wheel, nav and the three homelink buttons on the rearview ... anything else to be on the lookout for?
if you have homelink buttons on your mirror, it should have premium package and compass/autodim. take it in and have them fix it
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 03:46 PM   #11
djjasper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i 6MT

Quote:

Um,... not it's not. It's injector ticking...
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 03:48 PM   #12
infiniteecho
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjasper View Post
Um,... not it's not. It's injector ticking...
According to that thread and the videos I found in it which sound the same as my issue its the exhaust valve lifters.

I'm familiar with DI injector duty sounds. This is not one in the same.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 03:58 PM   #13
3er BMW
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 325i

Quote:
According to that thread and the videos I found in it which sound the same as my issue its the exhaust valve lifters.

I'm familiar with DI injector duty sounds. This is not one in the same.
Lifters ? Not likely on the N54.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 05:24 PM   #14
infiniteecho
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3er BMW View Post
Lifters ? Not likely on the N54.
Why do you say that?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 09:52 AM   #15
infiniteecho
Rep

Bump for more opinions, especially around the parking and auto dimming.
Appreciate 0