E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > waterless wash and winter salt...spray no wipe?

02-11-2012, 07:35 PM   #1
Fozzy
Waaka Waaka
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 xdrive & 2015 F15

waterless wash and winter salt...spray no wipe?

Hey, just wondering if there is any harm (or benefit) in spraying waterless wash, such as poor boys, after being out in the salt/ sand of winter driving and not wiping it off.

I figure wiping will scratch a little more than I want since the car is so salty. Maybe spraying and not wiping will provide some benefit??

I do know hitting a touchless car wash is best but there isn't one near my condo, so it's not an effective option.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 03:49 PM   #2
claycourter01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

Garage List
Well I would think there would be minimal benefit, because the dirt particles would remain resting in the sprayed area, and when air dried the dirt would not have moved noticeably. I think that in order to remove the dirt there would need to be some wiping, i.e., transfer from the paint to the cloth.

But spraying alone would not seem to harm much, though possibly some water spots if left to air dry.

Many folks on the forum like Optimum No Rinse, and that seems to be a relatively safe product that can be sprayed & wiped.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 05:53 PM   #3
claycourter01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

Garage List
[QUOTE=Revelation19;11338018]My experience has been that Optimum No Rinse (ONR) is a great product to use, if the vehicle is not too dirty.

Absolutely right

the OP did mention winter salt and it looks like his location is Toronto, so that may be beyond the spray & wipe level; maybe he would be better off waiting until he can get to a touchless car wash.
Appreciate 0