E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > Located in Pa, looking to install downpipes. Could have emissions problems?

02-10-2012, 05:10 AM   #1
woptang22
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 BMW M3

Located in Pa, looking to install downpipes. Could have emissions problems?

As we know Pa has pretty strict emissions laws. I have been thinking about getting catless downpipes for my 335i so I cant use the stage 2 on my COBB AP. But not sure what can be done in order to pass emissions. Has anyone else here in PA done this mod and how do you get past the emissions issues? I know Burger Motorsports sells the catless downpipe fix for approx $79 but does this actually help you pass emissions or does it just stop you car from throwing codes due to no cats? any help and advice would be great.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 07:04 AM   #2
s2kman
Private First Class
Belarus
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

As long as you don't have error codes you will pass. They don't use sniffers in PA. They only read your OBD2 for errors.
I have full header back on my S2000 and never had a problem with emission inspection.
No sure if anything changed, but last time I passed emission on it was in September 2011.
      02-10-2012, 09:08 AM   #3
bkrM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [9.50]
I think you're all set with PA emissions if you have the Cobb. One way to get a definitive answer is to contact Mike@VAC

Was just thinking about catless on my car too (with Cobb)...still up in the air about it. Friggin warranty.
      02-10-2012, 09:47 AM   #4
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
Yes if you clear the codes .... no problems. I have a BMS CAN Tool which works great for such a purpose.
      02-11-2012, 07:53 AM   #5
woptang22
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421 View Post
Yes if you clear the codes .... no problems. I have a BMS CAN Tool which works great for such a purpose.
Does the BMS downpipe fix for $79 take care of the error code problems? I read about it on VACs site. I wonder if this would help pass emissions? I talked to VAC about installing downpipes and they said they really dont recommend it. They said they have people coming in to remove their downpipes. ALso they used their test car with the COBB AP and downpipes and said they saw no gain. So Im not sure if I want to get downpipes or not. But thats the only way I can use the stage 2 with my cobb.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 08:01 AM   #6
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
I have a catless DP, which throws the catalytic inefficiency code (SES light); BMS CAN Tool clears that automatically when plugged into the ODBC port. But you have to leave it plugged in all the time so I'm not sure if it would work for you ....

I don't see how you wouldn't gain power with catless downpipes, you are freeing up a lot of pressure.

That said I recommend the AR design DPs, pretty much the best quality and fitment available.
      02-11-2012, 08:55 AM   #7
Slops
Major General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2005 C55 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by woptang22
Quote:
Does the BMS downpipe fix for $79 take care of the error code problems? I read about it on VACs site. I wonder if this would help pass emissions? I talked to VAC about installing downpipes and they said they really dont recommend it. They said they have people coming in to remove their downpipes. ALso they used their test car with the COBB AP and downpipes and said they saw no gain. So Im not sure if I want to get downpipes or not. But thats the only way I can use the stage 2 with my cobb.
I was one of those that took it to VAC to remove the cat less dp, but that was just I was insecure now I think I'll leave it in. I have the can tool as well
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 10:33 AM   #8
woptang22
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy View Post
I was one of those that took it to VAC to remove the cat less dp, but that was just I was insecure now I think I'll leave it in. I have the can tool as well
Did you see an increase in power with the downpipes? And as far as the BMS can tool, that must be different then what Im talking about. Heres the link to the BMS downpipe fix. Let me know what you think of this part. http://store.vacmotorsports.com/burg...nes-p2717.aspx Im wondering how this works.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 10:38 AM   #9
woptang22
Major
Rep

Quote:
I have a catless DP, which throws the catalytic inefficiency code (SES light); BMS CAN Tool clears that automatically when plugged into the ODBC port. But you have to leave it plugged in all the time so I'm not sure if it would work for you ....

I don't see how you wouldn't gain power with catless downpipes, you are freeing up a lot of pressure.

That said I recommend the AR design DPs, pretty much the best quality and fitment available.
It seems as if most people on this forum get increases with downpipes. I guess Ill have to do a little bit more research and see if downpipes are for me. I just figure I could use the cobb stage 2 if I add downpipes.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 10:41 AM   #10
Slops
Major General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2005 C55 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by woptang22
Quote:
Did you see an increase in power with the downpipes? And as far as the BMS can tool, that must be different then what Im talking about. Heres the link to the BMS downpipe fix. Let me know what you think of this part. http://store.vacmotorsports.com/burg...nes-p2717.aspx Im wondering how this works.
Yeah the can tool is different than the dp fix!

I felt like the car was more alive with the dp on. You'll loose a little bit of low end tq, but it really makes up for it on the upper rpm ranges!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 11:49 AM   #11
woptang22
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yeah the can tool is different than the dp fix!

I felt like the car was more alive with the dp on. You'll loose a little bit of low end tq, but it really makes up for it on the upper rpm ranges!
Would you suggest the DP fix? It sounds like a cure for the issue at hand with DPs. And its not expensive. When I first started looking for DPs I didnt know how much they actually cost. And I wasnt looking to spend a ton of money on downpipes. So I was refered by another member to the VRSF DPs. the price is very affordable and a few members told me they were pretty decent DPs. Do you think they would be a decent DP to install?
Appreciate 0