ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-09-2012, 08:19 PM   #1
BaldTyres
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M Roadster

New BSP

So, with the SCCA Autocross season starting to kick off around the country the next month or so, I was wondering who here is going to be running in the "new" BSP. (For those who haven't heard, they reclassed a lot of cars in SP). It seems on other forums that the M Roadster/Coupe is seen as a pretty big contender in that class.

If you are going to run in BSP, what kind of mods are you making?

And, if you're wondering, I'll be in AS for this year, probably, but then hopefully start my mods in the next off-season.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 10:14 PM   #2
ghosthi32
Banned
Rep
Drives: Water camel

there's a BSP Z4M build over on bimmerforums. its pretty nice

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1780325
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #3
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

I might be bumped into BSP this year if I decide to pull the trigger on camber plates.

My region runs a Tire Index, so I'm pretty happy about that. I run 235/265 RS3s for this year
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 05:34 PM   #4
BaldTyres
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthi32 View Post
there's a BSP Z4M build over on bimmerforums. its pretty nice

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1780325
Thanks for the info. Good article.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 08:15 PM   #5
a_riddler
Bimmer Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4MC;08 MBZ E350 4Matic

Going to run in a Street Tire indexed class in the BSP index. Looking forward to it!

08 Z4MC /// DKF Exhaust, Stoptech 6/4 BBK, TCK Coilovers, Strong-Strut, Apex EC-7's, APR Splitter/Wing,
AFE Intake, Underdrive pulleys, AS SSK, Jaffster, UUC Tranny Mounts, Matte Grill, RPI Scoop, CF Badges
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 10:39 AM   #6
Trev
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

AS this year, in the street tire index class with RS3's 245/275. Had to revert some mods to make the cut back to AS.

Reviewing BSP with the boxster/caymans getting bumped to ASP the Z4 could be a contender. But there will be competition with Corvette's, Mazdaspeed miata's are no slouches & S2000's.
If your going to run with the big dogs, you'll need DOT tyres probably Hoosier A6's again! 2 sets for the season. If your interested in trying something different try a smaller 17" rim with lower rolling radius than stock. Equals less weight & quicker acceleration.

Dampers & Springs, at least two way adjustable. Moton, Penske, Fox. Or any damper that you can get serviced locally. Don't trust the marketing get a accurate shock dyno report of each shock run thru its range of adjustments.
Strut brace between front suspension towers.
Spoilers & splitters are allowed, but i'm not convinced the limited size restrictions will give much aero benefit at ax speeds. Looks cool though :-)

Chuck out as much weight as possible. Seat swaps to fixed back recaro's. Ditch aircon.

Lastly engine mods, for ecu, air filter, mounts are all legal as is exhaust manifold. CSL header here we come.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 10:42 PM   #7
kklin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldTyres View Post
If you are going to run in BSP, what kind of mods are you making?
I will be running in phillyscca.com in our regional Street Tire BSP.

While my 18x9.5 Apex ARCs will be on their way this week, I hope to also finalize my street tire (probably Star Specs) and suspension (probably 4xx0 AST w/camber) selection this week. In my only event last fall after buying my E86 M Coupe, I confirmed first hand it badly needed negative camber, like my previous E36 M3/4 (took our region's 2007 BSP championship).

2012 should be fun if I can run a full season. Going to STU and not being competitive with the AWD cars with my E36 wasn't super fun. Then spent the last two years occasionally co-driving with my son in his high school commuter Civic, which I really enjoyed in a different way. He's off at college now and I've sold my 4 door (and seats).
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 10:51 PM   #8
kklin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev View Post
Spoilers & splitters are allowed, but i'm not convinced the limited size restrictions will give much aero benefit at ax speeds. Looks cool though :-)
My thought on the splitter is that it might save constant replacing of the front plastic undertray pieces from running over cones. In my E36, I kept a supply of pork chops and black duct tape/knife handy. Roffle Waffle tells me the APR splitter is not very light, so it's not worth it to me.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 07:54 PM   #9
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 S54

Quote:
Originally Posted by kklin View Post
My thought on the splitter is that it might save constant replacing of the front plastic undertray pieces from running over cones. In my E36, I kept a supply of pork chops and black duct tape/knife handy. Roffle Waffle tells me the APR splitter is not very light, so it's not worth it to me.

The splitter is very strong! My brother had a drift go wrong, hit a dirt embankment, killed the front bumper, bent the oil cooler like a banana, and had to replace most of the plastic on the front bumper but the splitter was a-okay. In fact it it was installed on his new bumper.

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 11:02 AM   #10
kklin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

BTW, there is now a Street Tire version of stock classes per National Series Introduces Street Tire Stock Classes. One less money/time expense! Don't see anything about a national Prepared variant.

Last edited by kklin; 02-15-2012 at 06:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 08:06 PM   #11
Trev
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Nice find kklin,

This is excellent news for those of us that want to compete at SCCA national tour events. Now lets figure out a way to share our setup's & tips on a class by class basis.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 08:43 PM   #12
kklin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Now lets figure out a way to share our setup's & tips on a class by class basis.
Has anyone ever started a SCCA Solo setup thread where the top of the thread tabulates setups and classes (like a group buy)? If not, I can start one if there is interest - sounds like at least half a dozen of us. These setups differ from those driving track.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 06:55 PM   #13
Trev
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Has anyone ever started a SCCA Solo setup thread where the top of the thread tabulates setups and classes
Yes please, i think this could be very useful. Question is what sort of detail do people want to track.
I tend to track car parameters such as Tyre pressures Cold / Hot, Tyre "E.g. Hankook RS3", Camber, Toe F/R, Fuel level 1/2 tank Vs 1/4 tank. Shock settings.

Also its useful to track event conditions. Rain / Damp / Dry, Surface (Concrete, Asphalt), Temperature, Humidity.

Lastly it's good to write up notes on handling quirks thru day. Such as "Steady state throttle thru slalom caused understeer in last two turns." Or "Late apexing corners decreased lap time by allowing later entry into turn & pickup throttle sooner on exit."
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 07:43 PM   #14
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
I can absolutely tell you that the APR splitter is strong. When I hit the tire wall at VIR the entire front bumper and splitter (still attached to the bumper) went flying off the car. The splitter only had one light scratch in it and is going back on the car this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 08:14 PM   #15
kklin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes please, i think this could be very useful. Question is what sort of detail do people want to track.
I tend to track car parameters such as Tyre pressures Cold / Hot, Tyre "E.g. Hankook RS3", Camber, Toe F/R, Fuel level 1/2 tank Vs 1/4 tank. Shock settings.

Also its useful to track event conditions. Rain / Damp / Dry, Surface (Concrete, Asphalt), Temperature, Humidity.

Lastly it's good to write up notes on handling quirks thru day. Such as "Steady state throttle thru slalom caused understeer in last two turns." Or "Late apexing corners decreased lap time by allowing later entry into turn & pickup throttle sooner on exit."
I was thinking of gross setup parameters versus the run-to-run histories (written or mental) that we each keep.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 08:18 PM   #16
kklin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
I can absolutely tell you that the APR splitter is strong. When I hit the tire wall at VIR the entire front bumper and splitter (still attached to the bumper) went flying off the car. The splitter only had one light scratch in it and is going back on the car this weekend.
Ouch, hope it's not too bad.

Ack, I just went to the Grand-Am site to discover we (Continental series) won't be running there this year! I had already prepared myself mentally to drive down there in my M Coupe this year
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 08:25 PM   #17
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kklin View Post
Ouch, hope it's not too bad.
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621668