E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 06 head bolt/modding

02-09-2012, 01:23 PM   #1
M3TA5IN
SRS BZN
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

06 head bolt/modding

Hey guys. I am looking for opinions on the 06 N52. I have a 330i. I just found out that my car has a broken head bolt. After some research on the forum turns out this is a pretty common problem on the 06 models. So I have to get this fixed.

So my question is, how do you feel about putting performance mods on this engine with this common problem? Looks like the bolts break from being weak an made out of aluminum because of the magnesium block. Putting more power on this engine would put more strain right? Do you feel this is just not a platform that should be tinkered with? I was pretty excited that Gavin was knocking out the headers and working on the SC, but now I don't know if I should even consider that or just move on to another car?
      02-09-2012, 02:29 PM   #2
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Freak Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3TA5IN View Post
Hey guys. I am looking for opinions on the 06 N52. I have a 330i. I just found out that my car has a broken head bolt. After some research on the forum turns out this is a pretty common problem on the 06 models. So I have to get this fixed.

So my question is, how do you feel about putting performance mods on this engine with this common problem? Looks like the bolts break from being weak an made out of aluminum because of the magnesium block. Putting more power on this engine would put more strain right? Do you feel this is just not a platform that should be tinkered with? I was pretty excited that Gavin was knocking out the headers and working on the SC, but now I don't know if I should even consider that or just move on to another car?
It is a very strong engine and well built. the bolts were over torqued by alot from the factory. The N52 supercharger is a myth. It is hanging out with Santa and the easter bunny.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
M3TA5IN
SRS BZN
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydever
Quote:

It is a very strong engine and well built. the bolts were over torqued by alot from the factory. The N52 supercharger is a myth. It is hanging out with Santa and the easter bunny.
Haha Jimmy, I don't doubt that about the SC.

My point was any performance mods. I'm suppose to be doing dyno runs and getting tuned the 17th.

I guess you kinda answered my question though, was the problem just the over torquing from factory? Wants replaced, should be alright?
      02-09-2012, 02:55 PM   #4
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

My point was any performance mods. I'm suppose to be doing dyno runs and getting tuned the 17th.

I guess you kinda answered my question though, was the problem just the over torquing from factory? Wants replaced, should be alright?
Yea I had a snapped one right under the intake runner. Replaced it myself been fine since. Im getting AA tune soon and have intake/exhaust. Think it should be fine. These are very well built engines.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 04:12 PM   #5
M3TA5IN
SRS BZN
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydever
Quote:

Yea I had a snapped one right under the intake runner. Replaced it myself been fine since. Im getting AA tune soon and have intake/exhaust. Think it should be fine. These are very well built engines.
Cool. Thanks for the input man. You don't have any details on the process of replacing it so you?
      02-09-2012, 06:54 PM   #6
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydever View Post
actually, it's out in taiwan for now with arma as for now anyway before gavin releases the n52 SC kit officially sometime this month
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 07:12 PM   #7
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Cool. Thanks for the input man. You don't have any details on the process of replacing it so you?
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...oken+head+bolt

You basically take off the intake, take off the intake Manifold, extract the broken bolt if you need to, then clean it all up, put in new bolt, reverse the first steps. Think it took me about an hour total.

You dont need to fully remove the intake manifold, only pull it back enough off the block to be able to get the the broken bolt. If that is the same on you have broken.

see this too -->http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...oken+head+bolt
Appreciate 0