F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > F30 iDrive Display
Studio RSR

02-06-2012, 04:07 AM   #1
beeker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 2005 3-series

F30 iDrive Display

Hi everyone

Having not seen one in the flesh yet I'm just interested to know if the iDrive display is fixed or is it motorised to fold into the dash?

Thanks, in advance.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 04:39 AM   #2
_Si_
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 M Sport 2.0d

Its fixed
      02-06-2012, 06:49 AM   #3
beeker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 2005 3-series

How does it look in real life because I think it looks strange in the pictures. I might just be used to how mine looked in my E90.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 07:20 AM   #4
Xcution
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i mSport

From what I have read and heard from a friend that works at BMW and drove the car, he said it looks really nice and that it does not looks like it has been forced into the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 07:54 AM   #5
gator15
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeker View Post
How does it look in real life because I think it looks strange in the pictures. I might just be used to how mine looked in my E90.
I saw it at the Detroit Auto Show and it looks fantastic. It doesn't look forced into the car and both the regular idrive screen and the larger screen that comes with the tech package fit the interior nicely. After seeing it, I think it is much more user-friendly compared to screens that are hidden into the dash. It is placed much higher than a normal nav screen, making it a lot easier for the driver to control, since you do not have to look down.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 08:04 AM   #6
Enduro963
Rep
Drives: Carrera S

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator15 View Post
...It is placed much higher than a normal nav screen, making it a lot easier for the driver to control, since you do not have to look down.
Maybe this is true, but my first feeling upon seeing it up there was: Why did they put it up there? It does look out of place and like they did not design it into the dash. Will have to wait and live with it...
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 09:30 AM   #7
Arktctr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d MSport

I think the non-nav version looked a little out of place because there is alot of plastic around the edges...the larger screen included with the nav version helps out alot...
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 01:41 PM   #8
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enduro963 View Post
Maybe this is true, but my first feeling upon seeing it up there was: Why did they put it up there? It does look out of place and like they did not design it into the dash. Will have to wait and live with it...
That was my first thought as well, until I saw it IRL. It actually looked much better than expected and, like some others said, it feels as if it is in a better position than just the dash.

Either way, I still think I would've liked it even better if it would hide itself inside the dash if it wasn't used but oh well, I can do with this
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 05:15 PM   #9
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator15 View Post
I saw it at the Detroit Auto Show and it looks fantastic. It doesn't look forced into the car and both the regular idrive screen and the larger screen that comes with the tech package fit the interior nicely. After seeing it, I think it is much more user-friendly compared to screens that are hidden into the dash. It is placed much higher than a normal nav screen, making it a lot easier for the driver to control, since you do not have to look down.
Also saw it at the NAIAS and it looks just fine. I actually first saw it at the Bimmerfest VDC Tour in November where they had an F30 mule. Initially it was roped off but later after the tour ended they took down the ropes and left the door open so I got a chance to see it up close and couldn't understand why everyone was hating it. If I was in the market for a new BMW I wouldn't not buy it just because of the screen.

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 05:24 PM   #10
jplev
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 i4 xDrive40

Garage List
Is there any daylight glare that shines on the screen affecting how easy it is to read the screen contents? Also, if driving at night, do screen contents cause a distracting reflection onto the windshield?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #11
Zero.7
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340i AW M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplev View Post
Is there any daylight glare that shines on the screen affecting how easy it is to read the screen contents? Also, if driving at night, do screen contents cause a distracting reflection onto the windshield?
+1. Exactly was I was thinking. I've driven a car with a similarly placed NAV screen, and the reflections during certain time of day made it extremely difficult to see the screen

I personally prefer the current Nav screen placement....but may change my mind after seeing the new one in person.

'16 f30 AW 340i M-sport
8-speed Auto
BMW ///M Performance Power and Sound Kit with Carbon Tips / Gloss Black Performance grilles
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 09:47 PM   #12
volsfan0911
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI

I wonder about that myself. Will have to give Audi mad props here, the display on the new A6 is inside the binnacle between the gauges and I loved it - very visible, well shielded from direct sunlight, etc. The Audi Driving Experience didn't have any night segments but with the display between gauges it wouldn't be an issue. You also can retract the movie screen when not needed and get a clean dash. Wondering why BMW didn't follow suit. Direct sunlight, polarized sunglasses - it's a tough design job at best.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 01:16 AM   #13
jaehshim
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

I saw it in person out on the road around late afternoon 4~5PM. (not from a motor show with all bright lights on the ceiling)

From my view, it was wider and clearer (probably some resolution upgrade)
Previous (up to '11) I-drive screen used to be "embedded", and this one is "sticking out" of the dash, so it "feels" brighter than previous ones without all the surrounding bit of dash.

A lot of people say ipad sticking out, well the screen itself obviously was a lot thicker towards the bottom connecting to the dash.

I really can't say which is better, although i believe previous (upto '11 models) display looked better, flows well with overall dash design, and is somewhat more practical. Considering the new F30 interior design just being BMW (less fancy, more traditionall always), I am the one who believe E90 interior design was BETTER than this current one. This current one just looks cheaper with pretty much same design of layout but bigger buttons and display sticking out...and it is equivalent to 1 series interior...

I honestly can't say this was an "improvement" design, because i don't see any big improvement on this "stick out screen" display. Like many companies do, it's just a natrual change of design on new models (companies designing their screens from flip-up, embedded on top of the dash, put right in the middle of the dash, to sticking out displays)
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 08:39 AM   #14
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplev View Post
To me it's a classic case of mending something that wasn't broken. The screen in my F10, like my old E92, is incorporated into the dash and, apart from the fact that it gives a neat flowing look, it's cowled by the surrounding plastic and is far less susceptible to glare.
I've had extensive test drives in the new F12 & 13 6 series and glare is a significant problem, especially in the convertible.
It looks like it should retract, but as it doesn't, it has the appearance of an afterthought.
I also wonder how many opportunistic thieves, thinking it's removable, will throw a brick through the side window in order to steal it.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 02:45 PM   #15
BMWinGE
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by volsfan0911 View Post
I wonder about that myself. Will have to give Audi mad props here, the display on the new A6 is inside the binnacle between the gauges and I loved it - very visible, well shielded from direct sunlight, etc.
To me the screen on the 2013 Audi A6 looks almost identical.
[IMG][/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 02:52 PM   #16
E90Eric
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i LCI

All newer BMWs use a trans-reflective display that can actually use the glare from the sunlight to make the screen brighter. When direct sunlight hits the display it actually looks brighter and is not washed out. Great technology that works well, not sure why it's not used more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transfl...rystal_display
      02-13-2012, 02:58 PM   #17
igom3
Major
Rep
Drives: 02 E46M3 15 F80 M3 16 X5 35d

Garage List
2016 X5 35d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 E46 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
To me it's a classic case of mending something that wasn't broken. The screen in my F10, like my old E92, is incorporated into the dash and, apart from the fact that it gives a neat flowing look, it's cowled by the surrounding plastic and is far less susceptible to glare.
I've had extensive test drives in the new F12 & 13 6 series and glare is a significant problem, especially in the convertible.
It looks like it should retract, but as it doesn't, it has the appearance of an afterthought.
I also wonder how many opportunistic thieves, thinking it's removable, will throw a brick through the side window in order to steal it.
+ 1000. I was wondering the same thing. Screen in F10 is in the place that should be. Again JMO
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 03:12 PM   #18
princefemi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Silverstone F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
+ 10000000........I have seen it in person and I still think it looks stupid. And I bet glare is going to be an issue. I dont care what kind of technology is in the screen, the sun's brightness is going to win. Cell phones have all sorts of super duper screens on them that is supposed to allow you to use them in direct sunlight, and they all still suck!
      02-13-2012, 03:41 PM   #19
princefemi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Silverstone F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaehshim View Post
I saw it in person out on the road around late afternoon 4~5PM. (not from a motor show with all bright lights on the ceiling)

From my view, it was wider and clearer (probably some resolution upgrade)
Previous (up to '11) I-drive screen used to be "embedded", and this one is "sticking out" of the dash, so it "feels" brighter than previous ones without all the surrounding bit of dash.

A lot of people say ipad sticking out, well the screen itself obviously was a lot thicker towards the bottom connecting to the dash.

I really can't say which is better, although i believe previous (upto '11 models) display looked better, flows well with overall dash design, and is somewhat more practical. Considering the new F30 interior design just being BMW (less fancy, more traditionall always), I am the one who believe E90 interior design was BETTER than this current one. This current one just looks cheaper with pretty much same design of layout but bigger buttons and display sticking out...and it is equivalent to 1 series interior...

I honestly can't say this was an "improvement" design, because i don't see any big improvement on this "stick out screen" display. Like many companies do, it's just a natrual change of design on new models (companies designing their screens from flip-up, embedded on top of the dash, put right in the middle of the dash, to sticking out displays)
+ 1 on the better design of the e90.

I do not get why so many people prefer the f30. I don't even think the f30 looks more luxurious.

Have you checked out the door panels on the f30? BMW skimpped on the leather. The leather insert on the inside of the door panel is about 1/4 of what is in on the e90. On the e90 the upper half of the doors are covered in leather, all the way to where the front speakers are. On the f30 just the area where your elbow rests up to about where the door handles are is covered in leather. The rest is cheap looking and feeling plastic.

I can't believe that they would do such a thing on a 50k car! Hell, the one I test drove was 57K and had this stupid red trim and stiching that made it look juvenile!

The position of the cup holders suck too! When driving a manual verison of the car you can expect to hit your knuckles against drinks when shifting. The cupholder has this cover thing that you have to put in your glove compartment to store, since it does not fit in the center storage area under your elbows. Really? I have to reach into my glove compartment every time to retrieve or store the cover? Silly design!
      02-13-2012, 03:41 PM   #20
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

you guys are being overly negative and pessemistics ....
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 03:48 PM   #21
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

I thought the display was fine, and i dont have nav. resolution looked great, was fine...has to go somewhere, and i hate high dashboards, reminds me of old american cars.
      02-13-2012, 03:49 PM   #22
igom3
Major
Rep
Drives: 02 E46M3 15 F80 M3 16 X5 35d

Garage List
2016 X5 35d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 E46 M3  [0.00]
I would use word realistic
Appreciate 0