E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Euro Intake vs. Performance Intake

02-04-2012, 08:30 PM   #1
Hasek9339
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i Montego Blue

Euro Intake vs. Performance Intake

I am right now debating on which intake to buy! I really love the carbon fiber of the Performance intake but not the price.

I like the euro intake for its lower price and its gains as well!

Can anyone tell me the difference between the Euro intake and the Performance intake other than the price and some nice CF.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i

i believe that the euro intake opens at the top, it uses a pod style filter and people have said that they've had alot of gains from the euro intake, the performance intake however, i'd like to also know the same. I just bought k&n drop in filter. If you want a good carbon fiber box intake, i hear that sonomita or soemthing like that makes good ones and it also uses the pod style intake.
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 07:01 AM   #3
Crusader
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M-sport

The Performance intake uses the same filter as US OEM, but has top access for easier replacement. The CF is beautiful and expensive. Euro box uses the same "suction hood" (parts catalog name) rather than supplying a new CF part, and uses a cylindrical filter. Simota and AFE (now) make similar designs, but I doubt they're any better than Euro box ... 3 HP, 3 FtLb is about it for an intake ... although AFE makes some wild claims.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 09:19 PM   #4
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
The Performance intake uses the same filter as US OEM, but has top access for easier replacement. The CF is beautiful and expensive. Euro box uses the same "suction hood" (parts catalog name) rather than supplying a new CF part, and uses a cylindrical filter. Simota and AFE (now) make similar designs, but I doubt they're any better than Euro box ... 3 HP, 3 FtLb is about it for an intake ... although AFE makes some wild claims.
Actually the Performance Intake still requires pulling the whole thing off and disassembling it to change/maintain the filter. The top does come off with some screws, and you can SEE the filter, but you can't get it out. So it is actually more work than the stock intake. At least you can easily inspect the filter and see if it needs cleaning.

I have the PI on my car. If the car was not under warranty I would have certainly gone for the Euro intake. But then again, that has only the stock size "suction hood" where as the PI is rather larger and more smoothly shaped. I have to think the rear port is for more than just sound too - I wonder if it acts something like a turbo bypass valve? Shut the "throttle" (yes, I know we don't really have one) and it allows air to continue moving through the box smoothly?

The ultimate has to be the Euro Intake with the Euro Performance Intake option - you get the bigger inlet, the bigger filter, no charcoal filter, and the rear port (I believe). For even bigger money.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 02:05 AM   #5
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
And there ARE CF overlays available for the Euro airbox lid...
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 09:39 PM   #6
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Does the Euro air box fit with the US Performance intake by chance? I mean, just the snorkel piece?