E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Cleaning Interiors Seats (Leather)

02-01-2012, 10:53 AM   #1
jrdnlc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i

Cleaning Interiors Seats (Leather)

What\'s the best way to clean the seats/door panels? What do you guys use?

I have gray interior.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 11:59 AM   #2
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

There is no one best product or products but here are my recommendations. For the interior dashboard, doors, console, carpets, mats, etc. I love the 303 Cleaner & Spot Remover! It's a highly effective cleaner that is quite gentle and leaves no residue behind. For the leather seats I use the Leatherique Prestine Clean and Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil as my cleaner and conditioner. This combo can be used to restore faded leather or use a little less to maintain brand new seats. It leaves the seats looking totally natural with no greasy residue as it's an all natural formula. If you have any questions about these products please let me know!

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 12:09 PM   #3
hgulloE92
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi Montego Blue

I also have grey interior and know how quickly it can get dirty especially the dirt that gets in the crevice of the leather. I have tried several products to maintain this color interior and can strongly recommend Leatherique. Do a google search on application tips ( tons of info on this product). One thing I can tell you is wait to apply on a Very hot day and leave it on for 48-72 hours, If you need to get around put plastic garbage bags on your seats.

This is what I bought:
http://www.amazon.com/Leatherique-Re.../dp/B0002SPCBW

Application stuff:

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...r-care-how-to/

http://www.leatherique.com/serv02.htm

http://www.leatherique.com/prepping.htm
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 12:53 PM   #4
jrdnlc
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys. I'll look into these
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 12:55 PM   #5
jrdnlc
Captain
United_States
Rep

@Detailed Image

After i apply the Leatherique cleaner how long you recommend me to wait to apple the Leatherique Oil?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 01:56 PM   #6
hgulloE92
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi Montego Blue

Actually you apply Rejuvenator Oil first, Wait at least 24 hrs(Let it settle in ...hotter the better) then apply Prestine Clean.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 04:48 AM   #7
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Top-grain premium leather is mostly used in prestige European automobiles; Aston Martin, Bentley, Ferrari, Jaguar, Lotus, and Rolls Royce, US Cadillac and high-end German automobiles such as; Audi, BMW, Daimler AG, Mercedes-Benz, and Porsche, for most of these vehicles premium leather is standard OEM specified equipment, but for most it’s a ‘premium’ package that costs upwards of 2,000 USD .

This is the niche market sector both Leatherique and Connolly were originally formulated for.

Modern automotive finished leather upholstery used by 95% of OEM is a multi strata covering over the leather hide; pigmentation (colour) and an abrasion resistant urethane. Finished leather s only requirement is to be kept clean and protected, urethane doesn’t require conditioning

An acrylic and polyurethane resin binder system is used to improve flexibility, fastness and adhesion to the leather, then two or three aqueous (water- based) pigmented base coat applications, and then a clear aqueous (water- based) top coat is applied, which usually includes additives to give it a soft feel and a limited amount of ‘slide’ to assist in entering and exiting the vehicle as the final stage of the finishing process.
Always keep in mind that you’re dealing with the finished coating on the leather and not with the leather hide itself
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 08:42 PM   #8
M-Steep
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGWT
Top-grain premium leather [COLOR="Blue"]is mostly used in prestige European automobiles; Aston Martin, Bentley, Ferrari, Jaguar, Lotus, and Rolls Royce, US Cadillac and high-end German automobiles such as; Audi, BMW, Daimler AG, Mercedes-Benz, and Porsche, for most of these vehicles premium leather is standard OEM specified equipment, but for most it’s a ‘premium’ package that costs upwards of 2,000 USD .

This is the niche market sector both Leatherique and Connolly were originally formulated for.

Modern automotive finished leather upholstery used by 95% of OEM is a multi strata covering over the leather hide; pigmentation (colour) and an abrasion resistant urethane. Finished leather s only requirement is to be kept clean and protected, urethane doesnÂ’t require conditioning

An acrylic and polyurethane resin binder system is used to improve flexibility, fastness and adhesion to the leather, then two or three aqueous (water- based) pigmented base coat applications, and then a clear aqueous (water- based) top coat is applied, which usually includes additives to give it a soft feel and a limited amount of ‘slide’ to assist in entering and exiting the vehicle as the final stage of the finishing process. [/COLOR]Always keep in mind that you’re dealing with the finished coating on the leather and not with the leather hide itself
That first paragraph is so convoluted and poorly punctuated, I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Most cars today - including BMW's - have "finished" leather? And finished leather requires only care for the finish (urethane), not the underlying leather, right?

You seem to know your leather; I'm just having troubling decoding what you're writing.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 09:01 PM   #9
jlcolon2001
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
There is no one best product or products but here are my recommendations. For the interior dashboard, doors, console, carpets, mats, etc. I love the 303 Cleaner & Spot Remover! It's a highly effective cleaner that is quite gentle and leaves no residue behind. For the leather seats I use the Leatherique Prestine Clean and Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil as my cleaner and conditioner. This combo can be used to restore faded leather or use a little less to maintain brand new seats. It leaves the seats looking totally natural with no greasy residue as it's an all natural formula. If you have any questions about these products please let me know!
Greg @ DI

+1 for the Leatherique products
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 09:04 AM   #10
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecka View Post
@Detailed Image

After i apply the Leatherique cleaner how long you recommend me to wait to apple the Leatherique Oil?
The Rejuvenator is most commonly applied first, check out this Leatherique How To Guide to optimize your application. If you have any questions after reading that I'd be happy to help.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 05:57 PM   #11
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Steep View Post
That first paragraph is so convoluted and poorly punctuated, I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Most cars today - including BMW's - have "finished" leather? And finished leather requires only care for the finish (urethane), not the underlying leather, right?

You seem to know your leather; I'm just having troubling decoding what you're writing.
Most leather used today has a coating or finish on it (IE finished leather), Since the leather is finished you only really need to keep the uethane coating clean. There are many ways of doing it and one is to simply wipe it down weekly with a clean damp towel.
Many people use dedicated leather cleaners and frankly sometimes something stronger is needed than a clean damp towel. I have several including the Leatherique Twins and that system works really well. There's also AIO leather products (cleaner/conditioner combo's) etc.. I know people with high end cars that use diluted woolite successfully on their leather. Feeding leather is no longer commonly needed and conditioning is somewhat of a placebo effect but heck I think it looks and feels better even if science says no.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 04:13 PM   #12
Billua
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Sport/Prem/Nav/Con

I appreciate this thread, I just brought home a 2011 335D. Should I pre condition the brand new leather (black) seats or just protect right now with Aerospace 303?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 04:19 PM   #13
zackf80m
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 f80 M3

Garage List
2011 335i  [7.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billua View Post
I appreciate this thread, I just brought home a 2011 335D. Should I pre condition the brand new leather (black) seats or just protect right now with Aerospace 303?

Thanks.
I wouldn't protect my leather with aerospace 303, I'd just use Leatherique Prestine clean. In my opinion, best thing out there for leather, leaves it soft and supple.
      02-17-2012, 06:00 PM   #14
Billua
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Sport/Prem/Nav/Con

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zackman93 View Post
I wouldn't protect my leather with aerospace 303, I'd just use Leatherique Prestine clean. In my opinion, best thing out there for leather, leaves it soft and supple.

Ok, thanks!
Appreciate 0