2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK 520d F10 M-Sport - Engine Noise when accelerating?

01-25-2012, 06:54 AM   #1
jedpause
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport '21

Unhappy 520d F10 M-Sport - Engine Noise when accelerating?

Hello all, searched all the forum, couldn't find a similar issue, so here goes.

600 miles on the clock, and have experienced issues with noise from front of car when accelerating, especially around corners, e.g. onto motorway etc. anywhere between 20~50 mph

It is almost like the car is labouring (and sounds like tyre against wheel well, but I know 100% it is not that, I'm just giving idea of what it sounds like).

Happens in Comfort and Sport mode etc., not pushing beyond 3,000* rpm... just makes me annoyed that this noise happens when giving it a slight push.

What is weird is that at all other times, even going on the straight on any road, and you put foot... the noise doesn't appear, e.g. overtaking

*I have read the forums, bigger F10's, e.g. 530d's apparently have break-in/running in recommendation of 1000 miles stated in manual (with instruction not to go over 3,000rpm and push rev's only once really warm etc.).

Is this relevant to F10 520d's, and firm advice on this (various forums have lots of info on running-in but nothing at all authoritative for F10 520d's) would be appreciated. Need to know when I can welly it

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 08:36 AM   #2
Shake n Bake
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 520d M-Sport Prof Media

No, I don't have that on my 520 and I haven't seen it come up before on the forums in the year I've been on here.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 10:50 AM   #3
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedpause View Post
...I have read the forums, bigger F10's, e.g. 530d's apparently have break-in/running in recommendation of 1000 miles stated in manual (with instruction not to go over 3,000rpm and push rev's only once really warm etc.).

Is this relevant to F10 520d's, and firm advice on this (various forums have lots of info on running-in but nothing at all authoritative for F10 520d's) would be appreciated. Need to know when I can welly it...
Yes, it is relevant to your car and following the recommended break-in procedure is very important - it's in the manual.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 01:28 PM   #4
Matt01
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d Lux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D
Quote:
...I have read the forums, bigger F10's, e.g. 530d's apparently have break-in/running in recommendation of 1000 miles stated in manual (with instruction not to go over 3,000rpm and push rev's only once really warm etc.).

Is this relevant to F10 520d's, and firm advice on this (various forums have lots of info on running-in but nothing at all authoritative for F10 520d's) would be appreciated. Need to know when I can welly it...
Yes, it is relevant to your car and following the recommended break-in procedure is very important - it's in the manual.
Jon d, I was worried you weren't going to get the chance this week to tell someone to follow the break in procedure.... Have you been stung for not following it?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 06:00 AM   #5
jedpause
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
JonD, Thanks, I checked all 3 manuals in the car, no mention of this. (That is not to say it is not valid of course, I am following break-in of 100o miles to be safe)... cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 07:14 AM   #6
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01 View Post
Jon d, I was worried you weren't going to get the chance this week to tell someone to follow the break in procedure.... Have you been stung for not following it?
No, but, having practised what I preach, I've ended up with a car that's covered 14k miles without using any oil
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 07:22 AM   #7
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
JonD, Thanks, I checked all 3 manuals in the car, no mention of this. (That is not to say it is not valid of course, I am following break-in of 100o miles to be safe)... cheers
Page 156 - driving precautions - running in
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 01:13 PM   #8
Matt01
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d Lux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01 View Post
No, but, having practised what I preach, I've ended up with a car that's covered 14k miles without using any oil
Good times!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 05:41 AM   #9
jedpause
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Arrow ...Engine Noise ??

Back to the original reason for the thread: engine noise.... is this likely to go away once it has 'run-in' or is it just the diesel engine normality (seems strange because as I said, it does not happen on the straight)....

...it is quite pronounced and annoying for an otherwise extremely quiet car...!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 07:57 AM   #10
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Back to the original reason for the thread: engine noise.... is this likely to go away once it has 'run-in' or is it just the diesel engine normality (seems strange because as I said, it does not happen on the straight)....

...it is quite pronounced and annoying for an otherwise extremely quiet car...!
Does it sound like knocking/detonation/pre-ignition that you can get in petrol engined cars as a result of bad ignition timing or carbon deposits in the cylinder head and, if so, does it cease immediately when you back-off the throttle?
I do recall experiencing this in the early days with my 535d and I was told that it was the injectors. TBH I can't see that they'd make more than a ticking sound, but whatever caused it is no longer doing so. Nowadays I frequently floor it without hearing anything but a lovely deep rumble.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 11:40 AM   #11
jedpause
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
Does it sound like knocking/detonation/pre-ignition that you can get in petrol engined cars as a result of bad ignition timing or carbon deposits in the cylinder head and, if so, does it cease immediately when you back-off the throttle?
I do recall experiencing this in the early days with my 535d and I was told that it was the injectors. TBH I can't see that they'd make more than a ticking sound, but whatever caused it is no longer doing so. Nowadays I frequently floor it without hearing anything but a lovely deep rumble.
JonD... not not like that, i.e. pinking or similar... this is like a low, out of place growl.... I took it for a zing today once it was fully warm, and did not notice it as much, and I felt the acceleration was much, much better, and refined, launched off nicely.... so perhaps it was some first 2~300 miles of settling in when I first heard it... will keep monitoring... long drive tomorrow, which will take it beyond it's run-in distance
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 01:46 PM   #12
rory1968
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 520D SE

Never had the noise you describe. As for running in; the garage told me to drive it as if I stole it! Only problem I had was a stone making a hole in the condenser! I have done 28k miles in 9 months and have never topped it up with oil. It does spend most of its life doing about 90 on the motorway. I get about 42mpg,so, I am happy with that. High pressure fuel pump failure with 9k on the clock was a pain in the butt.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 12:55 PM   #13
jedpause
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Thumbs up Think I have found it...

So after a few more weeks and testing this further, think I figured it's two things...

- Most of the time it was pronounced when going up on ramps that had special road surfaces (rippled) for traction etc. and the RFT's are really loud on that surface type. On smooth corners, no noise really, but.. see next

- The other think I notice is that when I 'put foot' around corners, it must be the traction control tech kicking in, because I should be going double the speed, but the controls are there limiting things.... this happens on very smooth/new bends... and the growling is the engine being told to sod off by the wheels etc.

Anyway, not worried anymore, don't think anything is wrong
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 11:28 AM   #14
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
...The other think I notice is that when I 'put foot' around corners, it must be the traction control tech kicking in, because I should be going double the speed, but the controls are there limiting things.... this happens on very smooth/new bends... and the growling is the engine being told to sod off by the wheels etc...
The traction control doesn't make any noise when it cuts in; you can feel it as a momentary reduction in acceleration and the warning light flashes, but there's no other indication - certainly no 'growling'.
Appreciate 0