E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > E90 330xi XI AWD lowering questions (also doing spacers + 162s)

01-23-2012, 09:32 AM   #1
balls2dawalls
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi

E90 330xi XI AWD lowering questions (also doing spacers + 162s)

So I've decided I want to go the 162s + spacers route for my E90. I plan to go 18mm in the rear and 15mm in the front.. I've been looking at spring options and it seems like H&R and Eibach are the 2 main options.. I've also seen people using the regular i sport springs on their AWD.. so what's the difference here? Would anyone recommend a good lowering spring? Progressive spring rates would be nice.

Also if anyone has any guidance on fitment for the spacers + wheels on a particular drop please let me know! i.e. if I would rub using "X" springs

Basically I'm just looking for a good recommendation on springs for an AWD and why we "shouldn't" use the springs for the regular i sedan?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 10:19 PM   #2
andy_06xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by balls2dawalls View Post
So I've decided I want to go the 162s + spacers route for my E90. I plan to go 18mm in the rear and 15mm in the front.. I've been looking at spring options and it seems like H&R and Eibach are the 2 main options.. I've also seen people using the regular i sport springs on their AWD.. so what's the difference here? Would anyone recommend a good lowering spring? Progressive spring rates would be nice.

Also if anyone has any guidance on fitment for the spacers + wheels on a particular drop please let me know! i.e. if I would rub using "X" springs

Basically I'm just looking for a good recommendation on springs for an AWD and why we "shouldn't" use the springs for the regular i sedan?
I went with the 'i' springs and bilstein sports. Very happy with ride and handling. I think the Eibach springs would be similar but a little lower.

The 'i' springs come in various heights/stiffness based on the weight of the vehicle. I used 'D6' front 'D3' rear in my manual 330xi. Rear drop is good for me (still not too aggressive). Front dropped very little. 'D5' or even 'D4' in the front might be better -- or just go for the Eibachs.

I have 12mm front spacers and 18 mm rear spacers with 8" 161's all around. I wouldn't go wider in the front. My rear could take more -- probably 25 mm -- but with 255/40 162's in the rear, I'd think 15 mm would be max.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 11:29 AM   #3
balls2dawalls
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_06xi View Post
I went with the 'i' springs and bilstein sports. Very happy with ride and handling. I think the Eibach springs would be similar but a little lower.

The 'i' springs come in various heights/stiffness based on the weight of the vehicle. I used 'D6' front 'D3' rear in my manual 330xi. Rear drop is good for me (still not too aggressive). Front dropped very little. 'D5' or even 'D4' in the front might be better -- or just go for the Eibachs.

I have 12mm front spacers and 18 mm rear spacers with 8" 161's all around. I wouldn't go wider in the front. My rear could take more -- probably 25 mm -- but with 255/40 162's in the rear, I'd think 15 mm would be max.
So I'm assuming these "i" springs are a BMW part, or am I way off? I'm browsing eibach and they have the pro-kit and the sportlines... the sportlines being much lower. I mean, I'm not trying to be slammed.. but I am trying to be significantly lower seeing as how the AWD is a monster truck from the factory.

Thanks again for the insight
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 11:48 AM   #4
andy_06xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Yes -- the 'i' springs are the BMW springs used in the ZSP package. I haven't heard of anyone using the sportlines in the Xi -- just the pro-kit.

One thing you have to be careful about is that even stock, the Xi hits the front bump stops on even moderate bumps. Stiffer springs and shocks help this somewhat -- but lowering the car makes it worse. This is one reason why I went with the 'sport' rather than 'HD' shocks -- the 'sport shocks give more compression travel before hitting the stops.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 02:16 PM   #5
jeguth1s
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by balls2dawalls View Post

I have the same set up. went to 162's and considering Eibach+Bilstein. Were the 18mm spacers in the rear enough?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 08:19 AM   #6
jeguth1s
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi

Thanks for the pics!
Appreciate 0