E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Can someone suggest a good starter kit?

01-21-2012, 01:02 PM   #1
saint3448
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 Sunset Orange M2C

Question Can someone suggest a good starter kit?

I'm looking for a list of a few essential products I can buy for detailing the exterior of my BSM 335i.

For the past year, I've been washing with Meg's showroom wash, a spray wax every now and then, and lots of Ultimate Quick Detailer in between.

I'd like to get my car ready for the upcoming summer by giving it a good cleaning/polish and then putting on some durable protection. At this point, there are some faint water spot etchings on the hood and trunk (mostly visible in direct sunlight) and some light swirling.

The polishing part has me a bit intimidated, as I've never attempted it, and I don't want to "burn" my paint. I plan on investing in a PC for this endevour.

So can anyone recommend a good shopping list? I'm trying to get the most bang for my buck, so I'd like to stay away from the $200 waxes.

My budget is about $100 for the consumables + the equipment (PC)

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 15 S3

I recommend you keep a lookout (via Google -> past month results) for deals across all the auto forums.

In the past month I've picked up a brand new PC 7424XP for ~$50 shipped (7346 for $75 shipped, then sold the pad and sander attachments on eBay), and the full line of Menzerna products + 20 6.5" LC pads all for $200 locally.

I figure I just need clay/wash supplies and I should be good to go (and DI has a great kit at a good price just for this).

I think I found the polisher on an infiniti forum and the polishes/pads on e46 or audizine.
Appreciate 0