2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Keep stock exhaust and add quad tips?

01-21-2012, 11:09 AM   #1
rmastale
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 535i MSport, F15 X5 MSport

Keep stock exhaust and add quad tips?

Has anyone replaced the stock tips on their 535i and just kept the stock exhaust. I know I\'d either need to cut the current diffuser (which I kinda like) or replace with a new one.

I was set on replacing the exhaust but the more I read the more I feel like I\'d be selling any new exhaust after a month due to drone (my family won\'t appreciate it I can assure you). :
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 11:24 PM   #2
ausfahrt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2001 325i Touring

Here you go. http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=630331 I'm thinking about doing the same thing but I want bigger exhaust tips. I like the fact that my stock exhaust isn't loud also! lol

Last edited by ausfahrt; 01-22-2012 at 11:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 09:46 AM   #3
rmastale
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for that link... I did see it and like the outcome. The issue I'm not sure about is that was on a 550 where the muffler looks like it already had 2 holes in it. I'm sure the 535i muffler only has 1 hole... so I'm not quite sure how that would work.

Maybe there is a quad tip solution out there that only needs the single outlet on a muffler?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 10:03 AM   #4
ausfahrt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2001 325i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmastale View Post
Thanks for that link... I did see it and like the outcome. The issue I'm not sure about is that was on a 550 where the muffler looks like it already had 2 holes in it. I'm sure the 535i muffler only has 1 hole... so I'm not quite sure how that would work.

Maybe there is a quad tip solution out there that only needs the single outlet on a muffler?
There are options out there. Here's a couple sites that sells different types of dual exhaust with a single outlet.

http://www.assuredautomotiveproducts...FQsBQAodwT-KmA

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/pa...FQsBQAodwT-KmA

In a off topic question? Where did you get your suspension installed at and how much? Thanks

Last edited by ausfahrt; 01-23-2012 at 10:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 12:44 PM   #5
LACSTER
Major General
Rep
Drives: Hybrid

Quote:

It's up to the muffler shop. I was thinking the same back in 2010 when I first did my quad conversion but the shop said the muffler didn't have room to do the Y connector for the quad tips and that it would stick out to far.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 03:12 PM   #6
yxc145
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

I had only the tips replaced originally. The OEM tips are very short. So you will have to cut a lot of the quad tips off. It would work, but when you look under the car, it doesn't look too nice. The Y tip will have to be cut to look like a partial U with the 2 ends till connecting together a little. The opening of the U tip will be bigger and cover the outlet of the muffler.

Hope you can picture what I just described.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 10:17 AM   #7
rmastale
Lieutenant
Rep

I can picture it... And I just crawled under my rig and whoa; this are short! Maybe I need to rethink this...
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #8
yxc145
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
I can picture it... And I just crawled under my rig and whoa; this are short! Maybe I need to rethink this...
It is doable. You just have to cut the dual tips really short. And once those dual tips are welded on. They don't come off. Because instead of welding to the muffler outlet tube, you would be welding onto the mufflers. just some light welding.

Since you are in Chicago, I know a great shop that can do this right for a very, very good price. PM me if you are interested.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 04:57 PM   #9
rmastale
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yxc145
Quote:
It is doable. You just have to cut the dual tips really short. And once those dual tips are welded on. They don't come off. Because instead of welding to the muffler outlet tube, you would be welding onto the mufflers. just some light welding.

Since you are in Chicago, I know a great shop that can do this right for a very, very good price. PM me if you are interested.
Cool... I'll pm you for the shop info... Also like your CF rear diffuser with it!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 09:16 PM   #10
ImperialBlue
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Op did you get it done? Care to share some pics? pls
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 10:33 PM   #11
rmastale
Lieutenant
Rep

Have not yet... Was popped in the rear by someone and am having the rear bumper replaced in the next week or so. When I do that I'll put in a diffuser that can accommodate the quads and then I'll get it done.

Part of me wants to just put new mufflers though so I can more easily go back to stock if I want to.

Will definitely share pics when it's done; whatever it might be.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 10:48 AM   #12
fastNugly
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4

Quote:
Have not yet... Was popped in the rear by someone and am having the rear bumper replaced in the next week or so. When I do that I'll put in a diffuser that can accommodate the quads and then I'll get it done.

Part of me wants to just put new mufflers though so I can more easily go back to stock if I want to.

Hi, pls advise once you have this completed as I am looking to do this or attempt the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 10:57 AM   #13
ojp5q
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 BMW 535 x-drive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by drapizan View Post
Hi, pls advise once you have this completed as I am looking to do this or attempt the same thing.
I have this done on my car (by previous owner). He cut out the rear bumber to accomodate (looks factory) and everything worked out fine. The pipes were fabricated with one straight stainless steel pipe from the single outlet of the muffler that Y's off into the second. If you don't get down on your knees, you wouldn't know it's not a real quad.

I can post pics sometime if you want. Soon, i'll be getting some new mufflers because the sound is too subtle for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 11:05 AM   #14
fastNugly
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojp5q View Post
I have this done on my car (by previous owner). He cut out the rear bumber to accomodate (looks factory) and everything worked out fine. The pipes were fabricated with one straight stainless steel pipe from the single outlet of the muffler that Y's off into the second. If you don't get down on your knees, you wouldn't know it's not a real quad.

I can post pics sometime if you want. Soon, i'll be getting some new mufflers because the sound is too subtle for me.
Yes, pls post some pics to see how it was done and how it looks from standing above.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 07:29 PM   #15
ImperialBlue
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:

Can you please give us the part number of the quad exhaust tips?
I mean were you able to find a Y pipes which fits our F10?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 07:33 PM   #16
fastNugly
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialBlue View Post
Can you please give us the part number of the quad exhaust tips?
I mean were you able to find a Y pipes which fits our F10?
+1
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 07:52 PM   #17
rmastale
Lieutenant
Rep

Still holding on this... Car was supposed to go in tomorrow for repairs but is now delayed until Wednesday for parts to come in. Will definitely update thread when it's accomplished.

I think others have been able to accomplish too... Maybe they can chime in with exhaust used before mine is complete.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 01:02 AM   #18
KRUZNM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I've had my setup for a while but haven't had time to post pics. I'll try to do it this wknd. But with the oem mufflers its hard to put quad tips on with a diffuser 1. Because it won't align directly in the center of the outlets 2. Because the tips would stick out too far.

I opted to go with m6 mufflers with dimisa 3.5" tips. I can assure you that this is the best setup close to stock. No drone whatsoever and you get a little vroom to it also.

For any questions about the tips hit up JP @ dimisatips and tell him I referred you to him. He'll take care of you.

https://www.instagram.com/kruznm3/
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 10:43 PM   #19
rmastale
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRUZN335
I've had my setup for a while but haven't had time to post pics. I'll try to do it this wknd. But with the oem mufflers its hard to put quad tips on with a diffuser 1. Because it won't align directly in the center of the outlets 2. Because the tips would stick out too far.

I opted to go with m6 mufflers with dimisa 3.5" tips. I can assure you that this is the best setup close to stock. No drone whatsoever and you get a little vroom to it also.

For any questions about the tips hit up JP @ dimisatips and tell him I referred you to him. He'll take care of you.
Thanks bro... That's exactly what I'll do. Would love to see pics when you get a chance.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 11:14 PM   #20
Artur-F10
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F12 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRUZN335 View Post

Where can I get m6 mufflers and how much were they?
also, what about warranty? did it change anything?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2012, 11:42 PM   #21
fastNugly
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artur-F10 View Post
Where can I get m6 mufflers and how much were they?
also, what about warranty? did it change anything?
eBay, m6 forums, 6 series forums.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 12:41 AM   #22
Artur-F10
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F12 M6

any news?
really interested
Appreciate 0