2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo GT (F07) Forums General 5-Series GT (Gran Turismo) (F07) Forum Should the Grand Turismo Have a "Bidet" as Standard?

01-18-2012, 04:55 AM   #1
beemermal
Rep
Drives: 5series GT

Should the Grand Turismo Have a "Bidet" as Standard?

Should the Grand Turismo Have a "Bidet" as Standard?

That's a rear washer and wiper!!!.

The vast majority of hatchbacks include a rear window washer/wiper. Why not the Grand Turismo? Think BMW have missed an important safety feature here.

Before I bought my GT I borrowed one from BMW for a few days and found the rear view vision to be very poor at the best of times and reversing into tight spots was difficult. However, I liked the car and it didn't put me off buying one but I specified a reverse camera, (which I believe is a must on this car) and the camera makes reversing so much easier.

Its difficult, on rainy days, to have good vision through the rear window, because the rain does not disperse as well as it does on traditional saloon models. Most probably to do with the angle of the window!

What do you think?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

In stop and go, it is an issue...out on the road, not much, if at all. Adding one with the dual action tail might be quite a challenge, and I'm not sure it's worth it.

For the 2012, I think they made the camera a 'standard' for the vehicles made for the USA. Personally, I agree, it is pretty much a requirement.

Don't know if this product is available in the UK, but I use Rain-X glass treatment on my vehicle windows. It needs to be reapplied periodically, but not very often except on the front windshield where the wipers eventually abraid it off. It makes moisture bead up and flow off the glass like a newly waxed car's hood. I find it a particularly good safety feature in the winter when you may get splashed with a bunch of slush, you have a chance to actually see where you're going while reaching for the wiper control. It also makes getting the bugs off easier in the summer. Didn't say easy if they're baked on, but definately easier. I've been using this stuff since the 70's. It's now available mixed into the washer solvent, a suppliment to add to your own, and the full-strength bottle you apply directly to the glass (which was the original formaulation). It comes in a bright yellow bottle with black lettering.
Appreciate 0