BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-11-2012, 05:27 PM   #1
chachacha28
NCOIC of Kickin It
Germany
Rep
Drives: 08 135i "Simona"

Considering some suspension mods. Opinions?

All i have done now is KW V3's.

E92 Front Sway Bar
M3 Control Arm Kit
M3 Rear Subframe Bushings

Im looking at just over a thousand bucks, plus shipping.

My main concern is doing the bushings without their tool. Im stationed overseas, so the tool could take up to two months in transit, each way. I dont want to get charged 500 dollars because the military doesnt think my mail is important. Has anyone done the swap without that special tool? How did you do it? Would a regular shop press work?

What else should I do while I'm in there? $1000 was my budget, but i want to make sure i get everything i need now.

I shot HPA an email to find out how long the control arms are on backorder, but in case they will take too long, i will probably try to order through dan@united.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 06:37 PM   #2
cpt97m3
AutoXer
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

First, this should probably go in the regular 1 series section, since it doesn't sound like you have a 1M.

You can do the M3 bushings without HPA's special tool. I did it with a E36 tool and some allthread, but others have done it with allthread, washers, and pipe fittings. A regular press would do it fine, but that would require taking the subframe out of the car, and that would be a lot of work. I would not recommend that, although I did it that way on my E36.
      01-11-2012, 06:56 PM   #3
chachacha28
NCOIC of Kickin It
Germany
Rep
Drives: 08 135i "Simona"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt97m3 View Post
First, this should probably go in the regular 1 series section, since it doesn't sound like you have a 1M.

You can do the M3 bushings without HPA's special tool. I did it with a E36 tool and some allthread, but others have done it with allthread, washers, and pipe fittings. A regular press would do it fine, but that would require taking the subframe out of the car, and that would be a lot of work. I would not recommend that, although I did it that way on my E36.
lol, didn't even notice.

At least i know it is possible, thats really all i was looking for. depending on how it looks when i get underneath, i might drop the whole subframe. I will need an alignment afterward anyway. I'll just figure it out when the time comes.
Appreciate 0