E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > The Smell

01-04-2012, 02:52 PM   #1
bsamoul
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

The Smell

Hi Guys,

So last Friday, we brought potato au gratin to a friends house. Stupid me just had it sitting on the back seat rather than the floor. Well, after about the hour drive, got out and saw that it had spilled ALL OVER the back seat. So, I pulled the back seat out and mopped up everything I saw. But, the smell remains. And, oh man, does it smell. The windows have been down since, and it's just been airing out, but it's not going away fast.

Anyone have any secrets to getting the smell to go away? I've sprayed Febreeze, but it doesn't keep it away. Also left vinegar in the car, and that helped a little, but it came right back. Walking into my garage or getting in the car literally makes me nauseous.

Any help is appreciated!!! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 02:53 PM   #2
F80_M3llow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [9.00]
2008 135i  [7.00]
Try an Odor neutralizing spray
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 02:55 PM   #3
axztx
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 328xi

Take it to a professional detailer that specializes in tuber stink.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 05:02 PM   #4
Miami
these cars become an addiction :/
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' E92 328i

arm and hammer baking soda, could also try to leatherique away the smell.
9-tenths of a second is a hell of a lot of time!!! That's walking all over the AMG. In fact, not only is that walking all over it, that's finishing, jumping out of the car, shitting in your own hand and throwing it at the AMG as it drives by to finish its lap.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 08:39 PM   #5
john_e90bimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Silver

Bring the car to a cold climate where it's freezing and it should kill the bacteria causing the smell. Milk got spilled in my car and after the winter - no more smell. As you can imagine the smell during the previous summer was horrific.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 12:15 AM   #6
gokushamax
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i

take it to someone with one of these:

http://save-now.com/steam/new-steam-windows/VC-4000.htm

the VC-4000-S
FULL COMMERCIAL
Vapor Steam Cleaner
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 04:53 AM   #7
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

AQuartz CleanAir - TiO2 Photo catalyst coating is an anti-fouling, anti-fogging, sterilizing, deodorizing, air purifying, and water purifying coating that uses nano-science technology - photo-catalyst. In the presence of light, active oxygen is formed and excited on the treated surfaces to destroy all micro-sized air pollutants that land on it, including hydrocarbon fumes and smoke, exhaust gases, industrial smoke, smog, air borne micro organisms and toxins such as bacteria, viruses, mould, formaldehyde, benzene, xylene, ammonia, volatile organic compounds (VOCs) from car fabric, leather and plastic materials, tobacco, sweat and other tough odours

Whether you are trying to eliminate disturbing allergens, toxic fumes, bad odour, lingering tobacco smell, A TiO2 Photo catalyst coating doesn’t just simply destroy them but totally decomposes their microscopic remnants into harmless gas and water vapouris.

This is a spray application deodorizing product (not a cover-up sent);
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 04:55 AM   #8
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_e90bimmer View Post
Bring the car to a cold climate where it's freezing and it should kill the bacteria causing the smell. Milk got spilled in my car and after the winter - no more smell. As you can imagine the smell during the previous summer was horrific.
Cold temps will not kill bacteria only the odour (have you ever seen mould on a fridge / freezer?)
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 12:15 AM   #9
Greg Nichols
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: CAR

you need to remove what the bacteria are munching on, which is likely the sour cream base. you will likely have to remove the seats and clean in between.

Sorry to hear, but it will take some effort to clean, their is no just spray and walk away likely for this mess.

Cheers,
GREG
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 08:45 AM   #10
John 328i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Black 2007 e90

Apple. Yes a cut in half apple. Put it in the car for about two days. It will soak up the smell. Don't forget to take it out, or that will be another smell to get rid of
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 09:30 AM   #11
Miami
these cars become an addiction :/
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' E92 328i

something like this happened to my buddy up in NC he just steam cleaned the seats with a mix of water and IPA (not leather) the smell went away instantly.
9-tenths of a second is a hell of a lot of time!!! That's walking all over the AMG. In fact, not only is that walking all over it, that's finishing, jumping out of the car, shitting in your own hand and throwing it at the AMG as it drives by to finish its lap.
Appreciate 0