ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-23-2007, 01:52 AM   #1
srhutch
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4M & F11

Auto Headlights Alway On

Just noticed this morning that my headlights are always on when in auto mode.

Only had the car a week or so, and sure they worked when I picked it up.

Had the roof down, but cant see that would make a difference (been raining since I picked the car up).

Where is the sensor? I assume in the rear view mirror.

It's booked in at the stealer next week for programming so hopefully, if you guys cant help they will take a look.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2007, 01:58 AM   #2
takedown8
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW Z4 3.0i

You're sure it's not just your DRL's?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2007, 05:55 AM   #3
srhutch
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4M & F11

Dont think so people dont tend to use them in the UK, and I would have thought the switch would be in the off postion for that to happen (correct me if i'm wrong)
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2007, 06:10 AM   #4
sixspeed
Z4M CSL
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Alpine White Z4M Coupe

Mine seem very sensitive also, and come on when there's still plenty of light. I always use the manual switch as such, and never leave them on Auto. I think the dealer can adjust the level at which they come on, although be useful to know if it's something we can change also...
      05-23-2007, 07:01 AM   #5
AlanL
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 328ix Sports Wagon

The default setting for "auto" is the most sensitive setting. They are supposed to come on in the rain, so it doesn't take much less than complete sunshine to kick the headlights on.
      05-23-2007, 09:32 AM   #6
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Mine come on during sunset and when it's REALLY dark out...aside from that nothing.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2007, 09:45 AM   #7
sixspeed
Z4M CSL
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Alpine White Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanL View Post
The default setting for "auto" is the most sensitive setting. They are supposed to come on in the rain, so it doesn't take much less than complete sunshine to kick the headlights on.
Couldn't they have just linked them up to the rain-sensor for the wipers for that then, rather than having them work on a slight overcast sky...

I thought these german engineers were perfectionists!
      05-23-2007, 10:28 AM   #8
rosierobins2003
Rosie.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Z4 2.8 Auto....

Garage List
2016 BMW  [0.00]
the dealer can program it for you for the daytime running lights to come on when you start the car or not come on.

Rosie
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2007, 10:44 AM   #9
imz4n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 3,0 si TITANIUM SIlVER

I believe that if you have DRL's programmed on the key they will be on all the time. I was following the wife the other day and every time she went into a shady area it appeared to me that she was braking. After getting home I looked at the switch and sure enough it was in auto mode. Perhaps this explains the weard looks we get when out cruising. There are many options with the headlights. You may want to make sure when you get the key reprogrammed that when in the off position on the switch that all lights are turned off.
      05-23-2007, 11:32 AM   #10
AlanL
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixspeed View Post
Couldn't they have just linked them up to the rain-sensor for the wipers for that then, rather than having them work on a slight overcast sky...

I am not sure if they did or not - I played around with this setting when I first got the car and did encounter a lot of rain-while-full sunshine conditions but didn't really stop to see what the lights were doing. I did notice that "auto" would always leave my parking lights on whether the headlights were on or not but didn't take careful notes on what else my lights were doing. I haven't really used the auto setting much since.

In my wife's X3 auto turns on the headlights always whenever the ignition is on.
      05-23-2007, 11:34 AM   #11
AlanL
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imz4n View Post
I believe that if you have DRL's programmed on the key they will be on all the time. I was following the wife the other day and every time she went into a shady area it appeared to me that she was braking. After getting home I looked at the switch and sure enough it was in auto mode. Perhaps this explains the weard looks we get when out cruising. There are many options with the headlights. You may want to make sure when you get the key reprogrammed that when in the off position on the switch that all lights are turned off.
Hmm - I have the DRLs set up to be on and it just turns on the halo lights up front and no dash lights. I'll have to check and see if that does anything in the back too - I have never even looked.
      05-23-2007, 03:03 PM   #12
Samiad
United_States
Rep
Drives: nada

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixspeed View Post

They have - at least that is how it works on mine. I leave my lights on auto all the time, and the same with the wipers. If it starts raining in the daytime and the wipers are activated for 30 seconds or so, then the lights come on, regardless of the current light levels.
Appreciate 0