E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Glass is a Blast

01-03-2012, 07:36 PM   #1
gokushamax
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i

Glass is a Blast

So in the direct sunlight, when the sun is low in the sky and I'm driving into it, my windshield is...imperfect...

Little marks as though sand has peppered it.. 38k miles of common road debris since 2007. There is one spot that looks rough enough that a rock must have hit and chipped it, but it's not cracked, just diveted I guess.

I have a PC.. I'm looking for the best way to 'correct' the glass. Anyone have a good handle on this?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 09:38 PM   #2
DetailDan
Rep
Drives: GC

Try a glass polish that contains cerium oxide.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 11:01 PM   #3
gokushamax
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailDan View Post
Try a glass polish that contains cerium oxide.
yeah, i did some reading and it seems like the products that seemed most likely all shared that as an ingredient. articles warned of heating the glass too much and causing distortion, being prepared to spray it off to cool it down, and using special polishing pads on your polisher.

i'm hoping someone will post who has done it, or has a link to someone who has done it, because it seems like it could be tricky and...well...i'm hoping for a treat lol

i know there's gotta be a lot of hazed windshields out there... come on ya'll, who done this?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 12:24 AM   #4
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

look up the diamondite kit videos

Ive had luck with cleaning up glass with orange pad and a medium polish, but a dedicated glass polish is better! Just dont get the autoglym one, that was a waste of money for me
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 01:26 AM   #5
gokushamax
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious Eric View Post
look up the diamondite kit videos

Ive had luck with cleaning up glass with orange pad and a medium polish, but a dedicated glass polish is better! Just dont get the autoglym one, that was a waste of money for me
cool, i think i saw that name before, and i will check it out..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 05:20 AM   #6
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Once the glass surface has been washed and cleaned (detailers clay) any minor imperfections can be removed with an abrasive glass polish (CarPro CeriGlass) It removes *light scratches, acid water spots, bird and bug stains, including alkaline mineral deposits, and then smoothes out etched glass.

*If you can catch your fingernail in the scratch 0.4 Mil (10µ) deep, you should consult a professional glass repair / replacement company.
Appreciate 0